2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

MrGapes wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 15:32
mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:34
MrGapes wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 12:56
I don't know why you guys think this years McLaren is the same as last year or is weird to drive... you can't rely on driver comments because they haven't driven any other car within this new era of regulation. The aero philosophy of the new car is completely different to that of last years and has completely different characteristics to what we saw in 2021...
Both Lando and James key have said it has carried over characteristics that made the car unique in the previous years so personally I'm not going to deviate from their opinion. It could well be the way our suspension manages the front end through the corners that causes these characteristics over any Aero changes so it is perfectly feasible.
could I get a source?

this is directly quoted from Lando in a autosport article "It's the same for me," he said. "Especially with this year, the car is very different. And some of the characteristics we had last year are gone, and we've introduced some other characteristics. And I've had to change my driving style."

these cars are so fundamentally different, what made the last Mclaren's unique was how understeery they were, and lack of front downforce, with these new tyres understeer is a inherent characteristics of these new regs

I don't want to be negative.. its just I don't believe the argument that Mclaren are still making unusual cars stick... especially with such a colossal regs change..

Agreed...

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
I don't know why you guys think this years McLaren is the same as last year or is weird to drive... you can't rely on driver comments because they haven't driven any other car within this new era of regulation. The aero philosophy of the new car is completely different to that of last years and has completely different characteristics to what we saw in 2021...
Both Lando and James key have said it has carried over characteristics that made the car unique in the previous years so personally I'm not going to deviate from their opinion. It could well be the way our suspension manages the front end through the corners that causes these characteristics over any Aero changes so it is perfectly feasible.
could I get a source?

this is directly quoted from Lando in a autosport article "It's the same for me," he said. "Especially with this year, the car is very different. And some of the characteristics we had last year are gone, and we've introduced some other characteristics. And I've had to change my driving style."

these cars are so fundamentally different, what made the last Mclaren's unique was how understeery they were, and lack of front downforce, with these new tyres understeer is a inherent characteristics of these new regs

I don't want to be negative.. its just I don't believe the argument that Mclaren are still making unusual cars stick... especially with such a colossal regs change..
I'll have a look later. I'd imagine there are parts that have carried over and parts that have changed.

The point about it possibly being the formula itself is something I raised in the past. I'm just mentioning the suspension as another point because whilst they may have a different system, they may well work towards a certain behaviour and the outcome is the same.

I'll dig up the quotes later, I'm currently in a 3 hour meetingand my mind is melting.

Also I don't take it as negative at all, just offering another opinion, I wouldn't want to suggest you can't have your own or one of us is definitively correct :) As always, it's usually somewhere in between.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
could I get a source?

The amount of changes make it almost impossible for the 2022 cars to carry over anything from the 2021 cars… In addition, the MCL36 has traded strengths and weakness with the MCL35M (Straight line speed and Slow Corner Speed).

runningmanz
runningmanz

That video interview from late 2021 I posted a few pages back with Key mentioned there was some carryover. We discussed it also a few pages ago. Dan mentioned it as well in this car which was part of the discussion. You can't just dismiss it when it's coming from both Key and Ricciardo.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Just wow. Can't say I don't agree with this article. If Dan gets ousted he can hold his head up high in regards to how he has carried himself despite the struggles. Never complained or pointed any fingers despite not getting a competitive car or one that suits his driving style like he thought he would. As for the lies possibly being fed to him so many times recently by Seidl and Brown well I honestly thought McLaren were better than that especially to a guy that won them their first race in 10 years. I guess we will find out soon if they did make a deal behind his back or not.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3434 ... ar-piastri
Last edited by runningmanz on 04 Aug 2022, 01:41, edited 3 times in total.

Slahinki
Slahinki

runningmanz wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:34
Just wow. Can't say I don't disagree with this. If Dan gets ousted he can hold his head up high in regards to how he has carried himself despite the problems. Never complained despite not getting a competitive car like he thought he would.

He can be as nice and fun to be around as he likes, that doesn't make him deserving of anything, really, with the performance he has had. The expectations went both ways. And while McLaren have failed to deliver him a truly competitive car, he has mostly failed in extracting the performance expected from the machinery he got. Being beaten as soundly as he has over two seasons isn't going to earn you any favours with the team considering the expectation was he would be the no. 1 driver.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:56
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
Worth noting that this years suspension systems are completely different from previous as well. Not just because of the switch to pull/push rods, this year’s rules dictated a much simpler suspension system using only springs in dampers, hydraulics were outlawed

It is certainly a good point that Lando has not driven another 2022 generation car. It could well be that the McLaren’s odd characteristics are replicated throughout the field due to the new aero regs, but there aren’t obvious signs of any other drivers struggling, especially when compared to their team mates, so maybe it is McLaren specific
In addition to the changes in the suspension system and layout… They are also running 18’’ tires, which would be one of the biggest factors in how the suspension acts… There is also the fact that these cars have no rake and are probably running the rear suspensions stiffer than in previous cars

runningmanz
runningmanz

Slahinki wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:43
runningmanz wrote:
Just wow. Can't say I don't disagree with this. If Dan gets ousted he can hold his head up high in regards to how he has carried himself despite the problems. Never complained despite not getting a competitive car like he thought he would.

He can be as nice and fun to be around as he likes, that doesn't make him deserving of anything, really, with the performance he has had. The expectations went both ways. And while McLaren have failed to deliver him a truly competitive car, he has mostly failed in extracting the performance expected from the machinery he got. Being beaten as soundly as he has over two seasons isn't going to earn you any favours with the team considering the expectation was he would be the no. 1 driver.
Maybe, maybe not it's debatable given it goes both ways. But don't be surprised if they cop some serious flak for the underhanded nature and lying to him that was purveyed if it turns out to be true. Who's going to trust their words in the future or take what they say seriously such as the other drivers in IndyCar being string along? The words McLaren PR disaster come to mind. Ricciardo is a very well liked person in the F1 community. I can see this turning into a real clusterf"*k for McLaren if it's not handled well.
Last edited by runningmanz on 03 Aug 2022, 17:12, edited 2 times in total.

Emag
Emag

There is nothing that McLaren has to fear in terms of PR apart from backslash of DR's fanboys.

He has been severily underperforming and one good race in Monza does not redeem countless of other disasterous cases of failing to even meet the minimum threshold of a good performance.

This was meant to be a blank sheet of a season and Daniel is sitting at almost 20% of the team's points.

If he is sacked next year, it will be down to his own failure to deliver, and not because of villianous behavior from McLaren's part. In fact the team has been more than overly patient with him.

I agree that this probably isn't the best way to sack a driver. But McLaren is not running a charity business. Daniel's lack of performance could potentially lose McLaren 4th this season. It's as simple as that. If I fail to meet my job requirements, I get fired. Why should an F1 driver recieve a different treatment?
Last edited by Emag on 03 Aug 2022, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.

Slahinki
Slahinki

runningmanz wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:51
Slahinki wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:43
runningmanz wrote:

Maybe, maybe not it's debatable given it goes both ways. But don't be surprised if they cop some serious flak for the underhanded nature and lying to him that was purveyed if it turns out to be true. Who's going to trust their words in the future or take what they say seriously? The words McLaren PR disaster come to mind. Ricciardo is a very well liked person in the F1 community. I can see this turning into a real clusterf"*k for McLaren if it's not handled well.
Considering the performance of Ricciardo, I think it's better handled than he honestly should have expected. Even then we don't even know what the team has said to him. We know what they've said to the media, but I'm not going to go over that again.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

runningmanz wrote:
Just wow. Can't say I don't disagree with this article. If Dan gets ousted he can hold his head up high in regards to how he has carried himself despite the struggles. Never complained or pointed any fingers despite not getting a competitive car or one that suits his driving style like he thought he would. As for the lies possibly being fed to him so many times recently by Seidl and Brown well I honestly thought McLaren were better than that especially to a guy that won them their first race in 10 years. I guess we will find out soon if they did make a deal behind his back or not.

Op-Ed’s have killed real journalism. Using your platform that’s meant to be neutral to express your sentiments, build a particular narrative, while not having all the facts is irresponsible. Does he know how much Daniel has been carried along? Does he know whether Daniel feels it’s best for him to leave McLaren? I said I feel bad for Daniel a few pages back, but realistically, there hasn’t been the kind of consistent progress required. I still would like to see him in McLaren in 2023, I’m hoping that happens. But I don’t blame Zak Brown or McLaren if they’ve decided to move on.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 17:35
runningmanz wrote:
Just wow. Can't say I don't disagree with this article. If Dan gets ousted he can hold his head up high in regards to how he has carried himself despite the struggles. Never complained or pointed any fingers despite not getting a competitive car or one that suits his driving style like he thought he would. As for the lies possibly being fed to him so many times recently by Seidl and Brown well I honestly thought McLaren were better than that especially to a guy that won them their first race in 10 years. I guess we will find out soon if they did make a deal behind his back or not.

Op-Ed’s have killed real journalism. Using your platform that’s meant to be neutral to express your sentiments, build a particular narrative, while not having all the facts is irresponsible. Does he know how much Daniel has been carried along? Does he know whether Daniel feels it’s best for him to leave McLaren? I said I feel bad for Daniel a few pages back, but realistically, there hasn’t been the kind of consistent progress required. I still would like to see him in McLaren in 2023, I’m hoping that happens. But I don’t blame Zak Brown or McLaren if they’ve decided to move on.
I agree, not real information. I have stopped following 'the news' on TV and paper for a couple of years now. I am much happier and know far more of what is actually going on (I still catch up, but from where I wan to see it)

Edit, that site in particular is hellswork to get into without allowing them free reign on your information. They (most) dont care about truth just selling your details
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

runningmanz wrote:

I completely disagree with the article. Ricciardo is marketable but McLaren is not lacking in that department. I bet that the team would be full of sponsors even if Sainz remained.

Ricciardo has been unable to show the speed in the car. While criticism that the car is another midfield car is true, just imagine how bad the team would look last year and this year if they had two Ricciardos in the car.

Plus his victory was in a race where both McLarens were doing great and Lando would have won if Ricciardo crashed out. In addition Lando was about to win in Russia and only late rain destroyed his chances. I am trying to say that "winning" for the team does not give you any privileges. Ricciardo needs to start extracting speed from the car, if he is unable to do so after two years then it is time for both him and the team to move on.

I really like the guy, but that's how things work.

CIZUK
CIZUK

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 13:23
Does Mark Webber have any professional ties to Ricciardo as well?
From The Race

"It will be interesting to see where Piastri goes. My guess would be McLaren. Zak Brown is a shrewd operator who knows that the only way forward is to hire the best, and I’m pretty sure Piastri is one of them. With Daniel Ricciardo struggling and Mark Webber being involved with both, they have probably arrived at an agreement and a potential solution to the Ricciardo situation."

https://the-race.com/formula-1/our-verd ... stri-mess/

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:45
the EDGE wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:56
mwillems wrote:

Worth noting that this years suspension systems are completely different from previous as well. Not just because of the switch to pull/push rods, this year’s rules dictated a much simpler suspension system using only springs in dampers, hydraulics were outlawed

It is certainly a good point that Lando has not driven another 2022 generation car. It could well be that the McLaren’s odd characteristics are replicated throughout the field due to the new aero regs, but there aren’t obvious signs of any other drivers struggling, especially when compared to their team mates, so maybe it is McLaren specific
In addition to the changes in the suspension system and layout… They are also running 18’’ tires, which would be one of the biggest factors in how the suspension acts… There is also the fact that these cars have no rake and are probably running the rear suspensions stiffer than in previous cars
They can still design the suspension to behave in a specific way, in terms of the way the nose lifts and drops under acceleration and braking. This is an example of how characteristics intrinsic to a Mclaren philosophy can be carried over.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit