2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 20:18
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:45
the EDGE wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 14:56

Worth noting that this years suspension systems are completely different from previous as well. Not just because of the switch to pull/push rods, this year’s rules dictated a much simpler suspension system using only springs in dampers, hydraulics were outlawed

It is certainly a good point that Lando has not driven another 2022 generation car. It could well be that the McLaren’s odd characteristics are replicated throughout the field due to the new aero regs, but there aren’t obvious signs of any other drivers struggling, especially when compared to their team mates, so maybe it is McLaren specific
In addition to the changes in the suspension system and layout… They are also running 18’’ tires, which would be one of the biggest factors in how the suspension acts… There is also the fact that these cars have no rake and are probably running the rear suspensions stiffer than in previous cars
They can still design the suspension to behave in a specific way, in terms of the way the nose lifts and drops under acceleration and braking. This is an example of how characteristics intrinsic to a Mclaren philosophy can be carried over.
Which would mean that those traits would have been induced into the car concept on purpose… Knowing how the Team acknowledged that it was a trait they were trying to steer away from, I doubt they designed it into the 2022 car on purpose when they had a clean sheet and no parts carrying over.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 20:28
mwillems wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 20:18
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:45

In addition to the changes in the suspension system and layout… They are also running 18’’ tires, which would be one of the biggest factors in how the suspension acts… There is also the fact that these cars have no rake and are probably running the rear suspensions stiffer than in previous cars
They can still design the suspension to behave in a specific way, in terms of the way the nose lifts and drops under acceleration and braking. This is an example of how characteristics intrinsic to a Mclaren philosophy can be carried over.
Which would mean that those traits would have been induced into the car concept on purpose… Knowing how the Team acknowledged that it was a trait they were trying to steer away from, I doubt they designed it into the 2022 car on purpose when they had a clean sheet and no parts carrying over.
This is true. However this is one of the posts that I am referring to, in which Lando states that some of the traits are gone and some are new ergo some are still here, irrespective of how or why they are here. I'm not trying to argue it is the front suspension, I was just spit balling, but some characteristics have passed over and Lando talks about this years and last years car together when he talks about the characteristics that make it hard to drive.

The way he talks it seems like the traits are there but a little diluted. If one of the traits this and last year is that the car offers little feedback then it doesn't matter what else has changed if you can't get past that one trait, but it does seem like there is more than one trait passed forward.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/597128/norri ... uggles-f1/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

Zak needs to go ahead and bit the bullet IMO.

Piastri isn't going to command a ton of money. Pay off Ricciardo, set him free, and put Piastri in for 2023.

The total cash spend really won't be much different between keeping DR.

Mansell89
Mansell89

I’d understand if we’d got a constant podium contender that Dan was messing up.

Personally I think he’s up against a generational talent and future WDC contender who played possum a bit and probably surprised Dan with how good he is.

I think Dan has been unlucky this year when you dig beneath the surface- there’s been more than the just the odd race where race pace was close and he should have more points than he has. No doubt he’s been out clearly performed but not by the margin it looks on paper at times. He was having a good weekend in Hungary I thought until the race.

He needed a proper pre season and smooth run but the awful Bahrain test and the drag monster car hasn’t really helped him.

There’s a terrific driver in there somewhere, I hope he demonstrates it wherever he arrives.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I just realised that McLaren may not be involved in this Piastri saga at all, it could be Alpha Tauri/Red Bull. Yuki hasn't been confirmed for 2023.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JPower
JPower

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 22:38
I just realised that McLaren may not be involved in this Piastri saga at all, it could be Alpha Tauri/Red Bull. Yuki hasn't been confirmed for 2023.
Eh, Tost seems pretty keen on keeping him around.

McL-H
McL-H

Ground Effect wrote:
I think that if McLaren were not involved in this, they would had put out a statement by now to deny the speculations.

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
Yuki is Honda's boy, he's not going anywhere!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well amongst all this crazyness of silly season gotta still have a laugh. Very clever :lol:

Zynerji

JPower wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 22:49
Ground Effect wrote:
Eh, Tost seems pretty keen on keeping him around.
Sending Gasley to Alpine would make more sense. I'm sure he could challenge Ocon, is French, and has no future at RBR. Oscar in an AT until Perez ends his current deal could get Max a new young gun teammate.

PlatinumZealot

Piastri was likely signed for 2024 on a pre-vontract with Dan seeing out his for 2023 and going elsewhere therafter.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 03:02
Piastri was likely signed for 2024 on a pre-vontract with Dan seeing out his for 2023 and going elsewhere therafter.
He said he's not driving for Alpine in 2023...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 03:02
It's entirely possible. I suggested this several pages back. The pre contract could have been agreed prior to Alonsos departure for the 24 season in F1 and the 23 season elsewhere.

Perhaps now Mclaren see an opportunity to move Daniel and the only thing in question is whether he will go to Alpine this year or if Piastri will not drive for Mclaren until 24. Other than Williams, I'm not sure if Mclaren could get him a spot elsewhere in F1 for next year. Which leaves the possibility of Indy or FE if he needs a 1 year drive to carry him through to a '24 F1 drive. If if if....

Going to Alpine now on a 2 year deal would at least Guarantee Dan more time in F1 as he wasn't certain to get a seat in 24 after his Mclaren contract. But whilst he didn't burn his bridges at Renault, he wasn't complimentary when he left.

And maybe it really isn't Mclaren involved in this although all of the rumour mill seems to point firmly in that direction with no noise still from Mclaren, which suggests they are trying to retain some discretion and diplomacy, which then suggests the rumours are right..
Last edited by mwillems on 04 Aug 2022, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

-Bandit

JordanMugen

mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:06
And maybe it really isn't Mclaren involved in this...
So is there any truth to the below rumours? :?: :wtf:

"Multiple sources have told ESPN that Piastri has signed an agreement with McLaren."
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3434 ... ar-piastri