2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Seems like Zak has lost his marbles. Announcing another driver and then not signing them?? What is going on. So many drivers not knowing what the heck is going on with McLaren. Its not Pokemon collecting!!

https://racer.com/2022/08/04/indycars-s ... ist-twist/

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 07:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 02:26
Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 01:59
From Oscar's reponsse on twitter, I don't think Alpine are in a good place legally. If their option, as reported expired on the 31st of July, then there's really no issue for them to force. I see their tweet announcing Piastri as them being unsure if he had signed anything elsewhere after being unable to reach Mark Webber. Piastri wasn't even informed about this. They could also have done this to position themselves for some sort of compensation, if Piastri indeed has something signed already. Why even talk about Daniel, in reference to there being no issue bringing him back?
You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.
In the interviews that Otmar had given there was a little nugget of information which I think highlights the centre of the dispute.

He says that there was no requirement for the driver to accept the seat he was offered at williams, all the team had to do was offer the seat. I'm not sure if that was also saying that Piastri had to take the drive Alpine offered him or just that it was enough to satisfy that clause in the contract.

So I think it comes down in part to this specific question, Did Piastri need to accept the seat to activate the clause?
True, but all that had to happen latest by 31st of July, if there wasn't an offer by then, he's a free agent by 1st of August. I doubt there was anything firm with Williams, they hadn't even secured their own second seat!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

runningmanz wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 09:10
Seems like Zak has lost his marbles. Announcing another driver and then not signing them?? What is going on. So many drivers not knowing what the heck is going on with McLaren. Its not Pokemon collecting!!

It's all speculation, Felix has spoken on his future Indycar prospects a couple of times and never suggested he's not tied to McLaren. It's been all about which series would he be driving in for McLaren. It's entirely possible, knowing he would prefer to remain in Indycar, that McLaren is willing to release him from his contract if he secures a drive somewhere else.

Sorry this is quite a bit off topic
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

billamend
billamend

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 09:21
runningmanz wrote:

It's all speculation, Felix has spoken on his future Indycar prospects a couple of times and never suggested he's not tied to McLaren. It's been all about which series would he be driving in for McLaren. It's entirely possible, knowing he would prefer to remain in Indycar, that McLaren is willing to release him from his contract if he secures a drive somewhere else.

Yeah, people are making a big deal about this, but it seems like a reasonable compromise: if Felix find himself without a seat at Arrow McLaren, and can't find another team in Indicar, McLaren has a seat for him in another series (FE + WEC maybe).

runningmanz
runningmanz

Ground Effect wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Well theres alot of drivers that seem to be getting promised more than what they thought. Potential for a real mess. Maybe slightly off topic but we are still talking about Zak who is the boss of the F1 team not to mention Indycar etc as well.

djos

From the duly season thread:
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05
https://racingnews365.com/revealed-pias ... en-in-2023

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!
The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters.
Wow! So I’m guessing Daniel will be replacing Fernando at Alpine.
"In downforce we trust"

RedNEO

djos wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:19
From the duly season thread:
RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05
https://racingnews365.com/revealed-pias ... en-in-2023

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!
The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters.
Wow! So I’m guessing Daniel will be replacing Fernando at Alpine.
Daniel we shall see.. once that alpine tweet gets deleted lol

Ben1980
Ben1980

runningmanz wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 09:56
Ground Effect wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Well theres alot of drivers that seem to be getting promised more than what they thought. Potential for a real mess. Maybe slightly off topic but we are still talking about Zak who is the boss of the F1 team not to mention Indycar etc as well.
How does anyone know what people are being promised though? Just seems that is being used as an excuse to bash Zak Brown or Mclaren.

Pato and Herta were offered test drives I think. Both have had them, but don't think either have enough points for F1.

Palou does, but that's still up in the air, so any signing announcements are deliberately vague.

Rossi looks signed for Arrows mclaren only.

Felix looks signed for the group over a specific team.

If piastri signs it will be in F1.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 09:13
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 07:23
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 02:26

You are spot on… If they had to give Piastri a Formula 1 seat for 2023 (in Alpine or elsewhere) by July 31st, their announcement had the intention of meeting the portion of the contract that required them to do so (they found him a seat)… But, unluckily for them it wasn’t in within the agreed timeline.

Piastri’s response is simply to ensure (for future legal proceedings) that he wasn’t accepting that seat.
In the interviews that Otmar had given there was a little nugget of information which I think highlights the centre of the dispute.

He says that there was no requirement for the driver to accept the seat he was offered at williams, all the team had to do was offer the seat. I'm not sure if that was also saying that Piastri had to take the drive Alpine offered him or just that it was enough to satisfy that clause in the contract.

So I think it comes down in part to this specific question, Did Piastri need to accept the seat to activate the clause?
True, but all that had to happen latest by 31st of July, if there wasn't an offer by then, he's a free agent by 1st of August. I doubt there was anything firm with Williams, they hadn't even secured their own second seat!
It's a moot point now but he said that Piastri was offered the seat and declined it, went on to speak about how now the Alpine seat was available then why would he still want to leave...

Well, turns out he does.

But wow, what a mess for Alpine! How have they done this to themselves.

Otmar must have felt so smug leaving AM. I suspect Larry Stroll will be walking with a skip in his step for a while.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

Is it not odd for McLaren not confirming Piastri for 2023 yet, while the FIA board seems to have given the green light already? I would have expected them to have it announced by now. Are they waiting for Ricciardo to sign his new deal first and announce it at the same time, like they did with Sainz —>, Ricciardo <—?

Lucky
Lucky

McL-H wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:29
Is it not odd for McLaren not confirming Piastri for 2023 yet, while the FIA board seems to have given the green light already? I would have expected them to have it announced by now. Are they waiting for Ricciardo to sign his new deal first and announce it at the same time, like they did with Sainz —>, Ricciardo <—?
yes

Jolle
Jolle

McL-H wrote:
It’s good customs to first announce/deal with drivers that are currently under contract before announcing the new lineup.
So first McLaren or Ricciardo has to announce what next years plans are before they can announce Piastri.

djos

McL-H wrote:
The CRB gave the green light to the contact with Oscar. Ricardo’s contract isn’t in dispute, as far as we know.
"In downforce we trust"

alexx_88
alexx_88

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 23:38

But Piastri could not had signed a McLaren contract before 08/01.
I don't think this is technically true. He could've always signed a pre-agreement with mclaren that had a condition that it only turns into a contract if alpine doesn't exercise their option. 100% legal and I think very fair.

Don't forget that, especially with young drivers, it's quite common practice (unfortunately) that teams take them for granted and don't treat them very fairly.

McL-H
McL-H

Jolle wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:36
McL-H wrote:
It’s good customs to first announce/deal with drivers that are currently under contract before announcing the new lineup.
So first McLaren or Ricciardo has to announce what next years plans are before they can announce Piastri.
I see and I agree that’s the most decent way of handling it. It is just that since all information is out there already, if they’ll wait any longer their announcements is last week's news. Alpine confirming Piastri for 2023 seems to have intervened with their PR plannings quite a bit.