[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 19:16
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 19:10
Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 18:07

In my understanding this is legal because you have 4 closed sections and 1 open section, and there is no mention of open sections in the wording of the rules.

Also tks for the wing profiles haha
Actually open sections does not exists (or I did not understand the wording of the rule).

In the image I see 4 closed sections and a portion of another closed section: the sum is more than 4.
In my understanding (I could be wrong), since the only domain being considered here is the front wing volume, the portion of the nose inside the volume would be considered an open section as it only has 2 sides inside the section (one straight and one curved).

Will need to get a lawyer to confirm though haha
That is my interpretation of the rule

wesley123
wesley123

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 19:16

In my understanding (I could be wrong), since the only domain being considered here is the front wing volume, the portion of the nose inside the volume would be considered an open section as it only has 2 sides inside the section (one straight and one curved).
This would be the defining factor. As only the front and bottom surface are located within the volume this volume will be open. I think you should look at it in the following fashion; If you would cut the object where it crosses into the legality box, does it produce a closed section?

Although the clarification isn't really a question, unless you are trying to do something really creative in this rulebox. Since the wings connect in some way to the nose itself, this would always be a problem and would essentially render every car illegal if you want to be nitpicky.

So I'm going to make a guess here and say that LegendaryM has found a way to detach the nose from the front wing. I'm looking forward to what people come up with.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

Alonso Fan wrote:
21 Aug 2022, 18:07

In my understanding this is legal because you have 4 closed sections and 1 open section, and there is no mention of open sections in the wording of the rules.

Also tks for the wing profiles haha
I use this: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/95 ... ure-script
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Koldskaal

Results for round 1:

*Edit: updated video
Last edited by Koldskaal on 04 Sep 2022, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

spacehead3

I promise we didn't cheat 😂😂

But well done to everybody, a big chunk of the grid is very close in performance! I'm quite scared of JJR and Variante for the next round.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

Congratulations to... the winner and to the producer of the video 😉

We will meet a race on AC server someday!

Maybe it depends on the new rules or on the skills of the teams, but all the cars were competitive.

About CAEdevice race: considering that I developed the car with a wrong ground clearance and I corrected it only 6 hours before submitting, guessing the balance, I do not have reasons do be without hopes for Monza.

JJR and Variante df is literally alien. Are they running on a planet with different air density? I can't image where to find similar downforce.

A question for André: the simulations were done with 2500 or more iterations?

G-raph

Very nice video! Congratulation everyone. I'm glad I (secretly, so you'd have to believe me) guessed the winner correctly before the race.

From my side I'm quite happy with my performance, the CFD results are much better that what I had with my unrefined, 1000 iterations, MVRC Fast setup.

I haven't recieved the official CFD results in my mailbox, however. Is it just me, or am I simply being impatient?

Ft5fTL

-6 cl, wow! Last time i saw something like that we were competing with lmp rule set. Cool video presentation of the race, very well done everyone. I'm pretty happy with my end of the results, gives me some hope for podium on Monza.
Last edited by Ft5fTL on 23 Aug 2022, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

variante

No guys, obviously some numbers (at least my car and JJR's) got doubled by mistake or something.

My simulation on the "fast" setting gives:
CDA = 1.378 ; CLA = 2.725 ; CoP = 1.759 ; Cooling = 2.490
That results in a laptime of 80.583s

I didn't run the full simulation for the car i sent, but that usually gives a 20% CLA gain.
That would result in a laptime of 78.0s
I'll run the full sim ASAP to see if such CLA gain prediction is correct.

PS: AWESOME video!!!

Koldskaal

variante wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 00:21
No guys, obviously some numbers (at least my car and JJR's) got doubled by mistake or something.

I didn't run the full simulation for the car i sent, but that usually gives a 20% CLA gain.

That's odd. We'll have to look into what exactly went wrong.

Says something about your reputation though. None of us doubted it :lol:

LVDH

So with the questions that had to come up, only today I had a chance to look deeper into the results.
Samn blew up his engine. This was caused by a a bad monitoring surface. Please read the rules and this blog post about this:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/
The crazy numbers, we see from JJR and Variante are dew to a far too low car. I have to investigate how this could happen.

LVDH

Koldskaal wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 08:16
Says something about your reputation though. None of us doubted it :lol:
This is kind of the reason, I did not really check it. #-o
These numbers from a newcomer would have directly made me wonder...

yinlad

Very close in the middle. Great job everyone, if our CoP was optimal we'd have been right in the mix too, hanging off the back of the midfield a bit as it is currently though. Looking forward to Monza
MVRC - Panthera

LegendaryM

variante wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 00:21

That's a relief! When I saw these numbers I panic-designed a whole new floor last night as I figured I must be missing a huge chunk of downforce somewhere.

Now that the first race is done, can I chase up what I need to do to have an official entry? I registered on the site a few weeks ago but I haven't got anything since then
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Koldskaal

LegendaryM wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 10:24
Now that the first race is done, can I chase up what I need to do to have an official entry? I registered on the site a few weeks ago but I haven't got anything since then
I think you are supposed to get a confirmation mail that asks you to verify your email adress. Other than that is simply a case of waiting till the next submission deadline. Andre usually posts in the thread, whenever he sends out an email. So if you haven't recieved anything by then, then you should contact Andre.