[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2022 (Grand Prix Cars)

Hi, sorry to bother the staff with a question about the mext race, while the first race is not completely closed, but I have started working on the car for Monza.

I was wondering about the possibility to add a rule to regulate the minimum section area of the nose. We talked about it on the forum some weeks ago.

There were also doubts about the wording of the four closed section of the front wing, when matching the nose.

variante

LVDH wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 08:58
Koldskaal wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 08:16
Says something about your reputation though. None of us doubted it :lol:
This is kind of the reason, I did not really check it. #-o
Are you saying i'm known for making the draggiest car on the field? :lol:

Jokes aside, i've just run the "normal MVRC" simulation for the car i submitted (software version 2207e for Windows).
There should only be minor differences compared to the official simulation (like engine exhaust not modeled).
Everything run smoothly, and here are the results:
CDA = 1.388 ; CLA = -3.394 ; CoP = 1.834 ; Cooling = 2.546
This would give me a laptime of 76.633s. That's good enough for 2nd or 3rd place, which i'm now claiming.

Andre, i'll send you this simulation's case, if you need it.

CAEdevice

I have a request for Max: would it be possible to add the maximum speed (absolute and referred to the specific track) to the laptime simulator page?

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 23:01
I have a request for Max: would it be possible to add the maximum speed (absolute and referred to the specific track) to the laptime simulator page?
Yes, check the page! Current it only works for Monza, I'll update the other track when I have time.
Max Taylor

CAEdevice

spacehead3 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 02:28
CAEdevice wrote:
Yes, check the page! Current it only works for Monza, I'll update the other track when I have time.
Thanks!

Is it the max speed for the specific track (for Monza just before Prima Variante) or the maximum possible speed for the car?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Aug 2022, 22:12
A question for André: the simulations were done with 2500 or more iterations?
MVRC_Long -> 5000 iterations

Koldskaal wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 15:11
LegendaryM wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 10:24
Now that the first race is done, can I chase up what I need to do to have an official entry? I registered on the site a few weeks ago but I haven't got anything since then
I think you are supposed to get a confirmation mail that asks you to verify your email adress. Other than that is simply a case of waiting till the next submission deadline. Andre usually posts in the thread, whenever he sends out an email. So if you haven't recieved anything by then, then you should contact Andre.
This is how it works. I do not want to spam you guys. But I will make the confirmation email clearer. Basically you only get an email around a week before a race and then during the weekend.

I will work out the rules around the front wing. The four section thing is not 100% clear but I assume you guys understand what is intended. Then we will get something to avoid these crazy designs we have seen from two cars. It will probably be a new mandatory crash can type of part.

I am sending out the reports now. I have checked them all. Scrutineering is still not done. But I have seen many issues that I am somewhat ignoring slash giving warnings as this is our first race with the new rules. One team will be very happy about this, as I will remeasure the cooling flow of Samn manually. Also it seems that the botched simulations of JJR and Variante are my fault. They are now also rerunning.

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 07:03
spacehead3 wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 02:28
CAEdevice wrote:
Thanks!

Is it the max speed for the specific track (for Monza just before Prima Variante) or the maximum possible speed for the car?
For the track, yes. If you click on the example lap at the bottom you can see exactly where that point is.
Max Taylor

LVDH

One question: There is one report I did not send out to not send it to the wrong person. The registered team "Talo Racing" is the typo variant of "Talno Racing"?

LegendaryM

LVDH wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 20:11
One question: There is one report I did not send out to not send it to the wrong person. The registered team "Talo Racing" is the typo variant of "Talno Racing"?
I registered under Tolo Racing, which I see now is quite close to Talno so if it's causing confusion I'm happy to change it
MRVC: Tolo Racing

LegendaryM

LVDH wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 08:51

I will work out the rules around the front wing. The four section thing is not 100% clear but I assume you guys understand what is intended. Then we will get something to avoid these crazy designs we have seen from two cars. It will probably be a new mandatory crash can type of part.
How about 650mm forward of the front wheel centre line, (approx. just behind the front wing box) bodywork in an x-section must be 1 closed section with a minimum area of 7000mm^2, and this area may not decrease between here and the front wheel centre line.

This would give a reasonable cross sectional area for passing crash tests, but still allow a variety in shapes for the noses, which are quite unique and identifiying parts on cars.

RicME85

Why not something like 2019 where there was a volume that had to be enclosed?

LVDH

LegendaryM wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 12:30
LVDH wrote:
I registered under Tolo Racing, which I see now is quite close to Talno so if it's causing confusion I'm happy to change it
Ok, I have to confirm what happened here. Maybe when I opened the zip, I renamed it to Talno out of old habbit and forgot about it. Latest on Saturday, you will get the report.

RicME85 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 15:14
Why not something like 2019 where there was a volume that had to be enclosed?
That is what I prefer, as I think it is easier for you guys and also easier for me to control.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

This is my first time using MFLow. How do you get the wheels to rotate?

LegendaryM

LVDH wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 17:39
LegendaryM wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 12:30
LVDH wrote:
Ok, I have to confirm what happened here. Maybe when I opened the zip, I renamed it to Talno out of old habbit and forgot about it. Latest on Saturday, you will get the report.
No, sorry to clarify I didn't actually submit anything for the last race as I didn't have time, so it must be someone else.

variante

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 17:48
This is my first time using MFLow. How do you get the wheels to rotate?
Create "frt_wheels" folder and "rr_wheels" folder and put them inside "geometry" folder, nearby all other car components. Put the stl files of the wheels (one stl for the front and one stl for the rear) in the respective folders.
Done. Launch the simulation.