2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Vasco wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 14:20
mwillems wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 13:34
Ground Effect wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 09:32

Maybe his performance in the simulator impressed them? I don't know if that carries any weight or how high the possibility is of bringing similar pace/performance to the track.
This is what I thought, but it was suggested by a few that he won't have been in the simulator as he would have gained information to pass back to Alpine.

But who knows, if we had built up the relationship with him ready to sign, perhaps we were able to get him in the simulator.
Thing is he might have the raw speed, but it won't mean anything if he constantly DNFs - unless Mclaren plan to run Piastri in FP1 this year once the contract dispute has been resolved.
He'll have the end of season test as well as pre-season testing at the least, so plenty of time in the car. He might also get a chance in the 21 car like the Indy Drivers.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Has anyone thought of what happens if the CRB rules in favor Alpine next week on Oscar's contract (if both valid contracts, the one that came first will automatically be upheld).
What is McLaren's Plan B??

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 18:47
Has anyone thought of what happens if the CRB rules in favor Alpine next week on Oscar's contract (if both valid contracts, the one that came first will automatically be upheld).
They have a roster of potential drivers for a second car… Palou would probably be first on the list given that he has enough points to get a super license… They can also call O’ward or Herta (If they can get them an special dispensation for the Super License, not sure they have enough points)… Ideal? Everyone would have an opinion on that, but they won’t struggle to fill the second McLaren seat.

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

Macklaren wrote:
I suspect it's just a question of how much McLaren have to pay Alpine to release him.

I suspect they'll quietly come to an agreement to save face for Alpine where McLaren pay a negligible fee to release Piastri from his 2022 contract so he can start to embed himself in the team this year, and Alpine can say McLaren bought out his contract.

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
He's not driving for Alpine in any case so they will probably take a bucket of cash, it is unlikely they will get dirty and just block his drive with anyone else. If they choose to be totally stubborn we have a roster of drivers ready to put into the car.

-Bandit

PlatinumZealot

I reckon Ricciardo decided to leave and called Webbo and Piastri to come get the seat.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mwillems

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 05:05
I reckon Ricciardo decided to leave and called Webbo and Piastri to come get the seat.
🤣

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Macklaren wrote:
There is no plan B.

I have no inside knowledge but I would be very surprised if McLaren announced that Ricciardo is leaving without being 100% sure of what happens next.

Vasco

Would it be a bad thing for us to go for Mick Schumacher? I think he has enough experience now to at least be more consistent and he has shown glimpses of his raw speed - Or is Piastri that much better?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Vasco wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 09:26
Would it be a bad thing for us to go for Mick Schumacher? I think he has enough experience now to at least be more consistent and he has shown glimpses of his raw speed - Or is Piastri that much better?
Piastri should be faster. Mick took two years to win his championships while Piastri won on his first year.

Also, listening to Audi announcement, I am getting a feeling Mick will move to Alfa Romeo/Sauber and stay there until Audi comes along. They said they'd prefer a German driver and a German race but that they haven't made a decision on a team. Not many German drivers around at the moment.

_cerber1

Vasco wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 09:26
No, Mick Schumacher is a weak pilot, we do not need him, he is not even a shadow of his father.

mendis
mendis

https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/08/26 ... ricciardo/
NORRIS HAS NO SYMPATHY FOR AXED TEAMMATE RICCIARDO

Lando Norris said he had no sympathy for McLaren teammate Daniel Ricciardo after the Australian was ditched by the Zak Brown run team, news which was confirmed this week.

Ricciardo will leave the British-based team at the end of the season, paid off a year before his contract was due to expire because his performances have simply been unacceptable for an experienced driver of such stature and salary.

Ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, Norris was asked by reporters if he sympathised with Ricciardo’s plight, he replied: “I hate to say it, but I would say no.

“I feel like I’ve had to do a job of adapting and so has he, but I don’t feel like for any driver you would have to have sympathy for them because they have not been able to do as good of a job.”

Ricciardo has scored a mere 19 points, with a highest position of sixth, this season compared to Norris’s 76 from 13 races and a third place at Imola.

Norris said he was just focusing on his own performance, rather than his teammate: “It’s difficult because I never know if I might encounter that in the future with this car or with a different team or whatever, so I never want to contradict myself going into the future, but I’ve just got to focus on my driving.”

Lando: It’s not my job to focus on someone else, and I’m not a driver coach

Norris continued: “I’m not here to help and do those kind of things. I’m here to perform at my absolute best and that’s about it.So it’s difficult when people start to have an expectation that it’s my job to also do these other things and helping and describing this and doing that when that’s not really the case.

“It’s also the case that if I don’t perform well for a few years then it can also be the end of my career, the end of me driving in Formula One, so I’ve got to focus on myself for the majority of it. Every driver has to adapt to the scenarios that they’re in and that’s what I feel like I’ve had to do.

“It’s not a car that I’ve just been able to jump in and feel like I can just flow with and perform exactly like I want.

“At the beginning of the year Daniel was performing better than I was – in the preseason tests and stuff – and it looked like he could just go out naturally and drive the car how he wanted to, and I had to start to learn a new way of driving compared to how I’d been used to driving the car for the last few years.

“I guess I’m surprised because when Daniel came into the team everyone expected more. I’m sure he even, he expected more from himself. When you look at it that way, yeah I’m surprised.

“It’s not me having a dig or anything but when you look at the results… if you want two people to be at the same level then you’re not surprised. It’s hard to know when to call it, I guess, which is what they’ve done,” added Norris. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Additional Reporting Agnes Carlier)

McL-H
McL-H

mendis wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 11:31

Lando Norris said he had no sympathy for McLaren teammate Daniel Ricciardo after the Australian was ditched by the Zak Brown run team, news which was confirmed this week.

Ricciardo will leave the British-based team at the end of the season, paid off a year before his contract was due to expire because his performances have simply been unacceptable for an experienced driver of such stature and salary.

Ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, Norris was asked by reporters if he sympathised with Ricciardo’s plight, he replied: “I hate to say it, but I would say no.

“I feel like I’ve had to do a job of adapting and so has he, but I don’t feel like for any driver you would have to have sympathy for them because they have not been able to do as good of a job.”

Ricciardo has scored a mere 19 points, with a highest position of sixth, this season compared to Norris’s 76 from 13 races and a third place at Imola.

Norris said he was just focusing on his own performance, rather than his teammate: “It’s difficult because I never know if I might encounter that in the future with this car or with a different team or whatever, so I never want to contradict myself going into the future, but I’ve just got to focus on my driving.”

Norris continued: “I’m not here to help and do those kind of things. I’m here to perform at my absolute best and that’s about it.So it’s difficult when people start to have an expectation that it’s my job to also do these other things and helping and describing this and doing that when that’s not really the case.

“It’s also the case that if I don’t perform well for a few years then it can also be the end of my career, the end of me driving in Formula One, so I’ve got to focus on myself for the majority of it. Every driver has to adapt to the scenarios that they’re in and that’s what I feel like I’ve had to do.

“It’s not a car that I’ve just been able to jump in and feel like I can just flow with and perform exactly like I want.

“At the beginning of the year Daniel was performing better than I was – in the preseason tests and stuff – and it looked like he could just go out naturally and drive the car how he wanted to, and I had to start to learn a new way of driving compared to how I’d been used to driving the car for the last few years.

“I guess I’m surprised because when Daniel came into the team everyone expected more. I’m sure he even, he expected more from himself. When you look at it that way, yeah I’m surprised.

“It’s not me having a dig or anything but when you look at the results… if you want two people to be at the same level then you’re not surprised. It’s hard to know when to call it, I guess, which is what they’ve done,” added Norris. (Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Additional Reporting Agnes Carlier)
Reading that, I get the feeling Norris could had done more to help Ricciardo and with that increase the points we scored as a team. It’s a bit of selfish way to look at it I guess.. :roll:

Ben1980
Ben1980

Hasn't it been said all along Norris has tried to help. Even mention of sharing information he wouldn't usually share. Don't think Norris can be criticised in that front.

The sympathy thing, I understand his point. Though to hit the extreme heights of being any professional sportsman there is always an element of selfishness.

Big Tea

McL-H wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 11:41
mendis wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 11:31

Reading that, I get the feeling Norris could had done more to help Ricciardo and with that increase the points we scored as a team. It’s a bit of selfish way to look at it I guess.. :roll:
Or you could read it as he had no help from Ricciardo and will not be sorry to 'lose' him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.