2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

And ferrari is batting for alpine against Mclaren

Swed3121
Swed3121

Slahinki wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:26
We're just completely unable to compete in a straight line. Doesn't matter if we have better overall race pace if you can't get past people to make use of it.
The straight line speed seems fine-ish
We just have to make a much bigger downforce trade-off than some others.

Also the drs-train was an issue for everyone bar RB, the Williams is a ultra-low drag car and just was too fast to get past for anybody outside the top 3

Slahinki
Slahinki

The speed is fine, getting there takes too much time.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Swed3121 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:35
Slahinki wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:26
We're just completely unable to compete in a straight line. Doesn't matter if we have better overall race pace if you can't get past people to make use of it.
The straight line speed seems fine-ish
We just have to make a much bigger downforce trade-off than some others.

Also the drs-train was an issue for everyone bar RB, the Williams is a ultra-low drag car and just was too fast to get past for anybody outside the top 3
Exactly… Lando’s pace before he caught the DRS train in the last stint was in the 1:51’s… The DRS train was lapping in the 1:53’s - 1:54’s… Albon simply did a great job exiting T1 and had the speed / drag to prevent an overtake before T5.

There could have been something to be done from an strategy perspective to avoid the DRS train (like Gasly did), but hindsight is always 20/20

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 13:24
mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:39
Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:19

How does this work exactly? If Merc take the 'new' unit today, is it then frozen for everyone, or can Mclaren take one in a months time with differences which can not be retrofitted to the Merc team cars?
The engine is available at any time to anyone if Merc just presented it for homologation.
But can they bring out a different 'issue' to only supply to tams that have not taken that engine?
I would assume not.
I'm not sure I understand. Any engine introduced can be used by all merc teams. If they introduce a new engine for reliability all merc teams can use it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

Mansell89 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 23:50
Do we know much about the PU changes- is Lando taking on “upgraded” Merc ERS?

Have Merc put their final update out?

Is Danny having it?

Apologies missed all coverage today
The PU where frozen earlier in the year. Only the MGU-K could be updated ....I'm not sure about the MGU-H...but maybe that too... and reliability changes.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:01
Big Tea wrote:
mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:39

The engine is available at any time to anyone if Merc just presented it for homologation.
But can they bring out a different 'issue' to only supply to tams that have not taken that engine?
I would assume not.
I'm not sure I understand. Any engine introduced can be used by all merc teams. If they introduce a new engine for reliability all merc teams can use it.
Any PU part, software or MAP have to be identical. Fuel has to be available as well if requested. They can also run Petronas fuel and have Shell advertising (for example).

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:51
mwillems wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:01
Big Tea wrote:

I would assume not.
Any PU part, software or MAP have to be identical. Fuel has to be available as well if requested. They can also run Petronas fuel and have Shell advertising (for example).
Very true. 8 Years on I still refer to the package as the engine. Old dogs, new tricks and all that.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

What a joke this car is. They sack Daniel while never even making a car that suited his strengths at all. Every other team managed to do it. Then they treat him like this on the way out letting lando undercut and sacrificed their team getting any points by leaving dan hung out to dry. Shambles of a team.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

Seems dan isnt the one who needs to be sacked. James Key is what a shambolic car.

MrGapes

1m0bius1 wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 04:39
What a joke this car is. They sack Daniel while never even making a car that suited his strengths at all. Every other team managed to do it. Then they treat him like this on the way out letting lando undercut and sacrificed their team getting any points by leaving dan hung out to dry. Shambles of a team.
Their intention was never to undercut Daniel, it was to cover off Zhou who was behind Lando who had pitted a lap before...we have had this conversation about Daniel and the car on this thread enough surely its time to move on...

Also you say they left him hung out to dry but Daniel got the first pit stop as he should cause he was further up the grid which cost Lando a lot time, and Daniel said he said he could do three more laps at a decent pace on that hard before pitting.

MrGapes

https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/08/29/mc ... rformance/

“Independent of that, I think in general for both cars today, doesn’t matter which downforce level, unfortunately with these conditions today we simply didn’t have the pace, struggling with traction for example out of Turn 1 especially and therefore we will never be in a position to overtake, even lost some positions, got overtaken, just not a good day for us." - Seidl

Pretty much confirms a lot of the comments we had yesterday... lack of traction in crucial corners for overtaking pretty much made it impossible

Vasco

Were we negatively affected by the TD also? Traction out of corners was poor, but so was tyre deg which leads me to believe that we might have been running the car higher than previously. I don't think we can catch Alpine - they always had a faster car and just lacked consistency at the start of the season and are really starting to solidify their position as 4th fastest overall. In some tracks where we are quicker, ALO still manages to pull out a mega qualifying lap or have a super fast start and we end up behind anyway which is compounded by the fact that OCO is a lot closer to ALO now.

We should give up on this season - settle for 5th and really focus on next year. RBR have done a mega job with this year's car and we can learn a thing or two from them, starting with our facilities and poaching talent from the top teams. Being a customer team is also hurting us and we need to consider looking for an exclusive engine partner.

djos

blastdoman wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 15:55
What a joke of car omg. Problems in slow and fast corners, problems with drag, problems of traction...
Not wrong, the strategy wasn’t up to scratch either. Daniel went backwards despite an ok drive and Norris barely went forwards.

And before ppl jump on me, even Lando said the car had no pace.
Last edited by djos on 29 Aug 2022, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:10
And what do you know. Norris is again in front despite starting so much lower.
A/ Daniel had the old rear wing, and B/ Mclaren’s pitstop strategy was severely lacking. Daniel only lost places on track when Mclaren put him on the hard tires again. They should have gone medium, medium and then soft for the final stint. He had the tires!
"In downforce we trust"