2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

Apline just need better drivers and strategy.

If you look on Ocon's gap to Alonso.. Alonso race pace is not great. And repeatedly he sets up for qualy. His car was also damaged so we really dont know where it would have been without the accident with Lewis.

The car is good. It just needs to be setup properly.
It's not by chance that it qualifies so well.

But what is clear is it is way ahead of Mclaren.
It has a good PU, and it consistently performs well.
For Sure!!

F1since1980
F1since1980

Great race result by the Alpine team given all the negativity that they have had to deal with since Hungary - including so many on this team blog (which includes me), but this trend seems to continue even after a good result like this! WTH??? Why so many haters??

There have been barely any positive comments about how well they drove in this race - Ocon's double pass was really cool to watch and beautifully executed, he really stepped up - he had a great weekend after outqualifying Alonso yet starting so far back at the start and finishing so close to him in the end. I am not a real fan of his, but he deserves positive credit for bagging some great points for this team and he has been quite consistent in scoring points this season. I think he deserves some positive credit for once. Alonso also did a great job of finishing where he did, given the reckless move by Lewis that probably caused some damage to his car.

It was a great weekend for this team -come on people! Can we not focus a little bit more on the positives of this team rather than dwell constantly on these Alonso, Oscar, Otmar, back and forth posts? Let's move on already!

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 21:36

If you look on Ocon's gap to Alonso.. Alonso race pace is not great. And repeatedly he sets up for qualy. His car was also damaged so we really dont know where it would have been without the accident with Lewis.

I guess we both remember the story of the 2012 & 2013 Mercedes: terrific raw pace, awful in race trim due to high deg. Some cars inherently do better in qualy/race, no matter how you set them up. Perhaps this is the case with this year's Alpine car as well, we cannot really tell.

Ocon deservers some credit for his pace today, he did very well. Hadn't Alonso had damage, the overall picture could've looked slightly different, although I'm inclined to say Ocon had the upper hand this time. All in all, Alonso and Ocon are pretty well-matched this season - if anything, then it's the team that's not up to the challenge yet.

r101
r101

Alonso promoted to p5 due to Leclercs's punishment for speeding in the pitlane:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... o42vo.html

organic

ringo wrote:

Is there any evidence Alpine are focusing too much on qualifying other than having better qualifying pace than race pace relative to Mercedes (who are their direct rivals on track generally)?

Alpine seem to not move much relative to the rest of the grid when moving from qualifying to race. It's simply Mercedes routinely qualifying behind them and passing them in the race that makes it appear like their car is set up for qualifying.

Can also look at how quickly they turn on their tyres in wet sessions to see that it's likely a characteristic for the car to work the tyres well, rather than a setup choice.

diffuser

organic wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 03:03
ringo wrote:

Is there any evidence Alpine are focusing too much on qualifying other than having better qualifying pace than race pace relative to Mercedes (who are their direct rivals on track generally)?

Alpine seem to not move much relative to the rest of the grid when moving from qualifying to race. It's simply Mercedes routinely qualifying behind them and passing them in the race that makes it appear like their car is set up for qualifying.

Can also look at how quickly they turn on their tyres in wet sessions to see that it's likely a characteristic for the car to work the tyres well, rather than a setup choice.
I think it's quit obvious that they lacked DF at the beginning of the season and that's why they were fast in quali but then had high degradation during races. That has changed, progressively since Spain. They added MUCH DF in the 8 races from Spain to the summer break. The Car has much more race pace in it now than it did before, not as much as Merc though.

During the race when Alonso needed pace he had it. he just cruised to the end of the race. He knew he wasn't gonna catch Russell and that he wasn't gonna get passed from behind.

Alonso Fan

F1since1980 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 22:14
Great race result by the Alpine team given all the negativity that they have had to deal with since Hungary - including so many on this team blog (which includes me), but this trend seems to continue even after a good result like this! WTH??? Why so many haters??

There have been barely any positive comments about how well they drove in this race - Ocon's double pass was really cool to watch and beautifully executed, he really stepped up - he had a great weekend after outqualifying Alonso yet starting so far back at the start and finishing so close to him in the end. I am not a real fan of his, but he deserves positive credit for bagging some great points for this team and he has been quite consistent in scoring points this season. I think he deserves some positive credit for once. Alonso also did a great job of finishing where he did, given the reckless move by Lewis that probably caused some damage to his car.

It was a great weekend for this team -come on people! Can we not focus a little bit more on the positives of this team rather than dwell constantly on these Alonso, Oscar, Otmar, back and forth posts? Let's move on already!
Best comment
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

jeffpilot
jeffpilot

I just listened to alonso’s team radio for the race and the latter half interesting. Seems alpine deliberately not telling alonso his target lap times for each stint and and he repeatedly asks and becomes annoyed. At the end of the race he accuses team of ghosting him, sees what they are doing, and asks if they just want him to let Esteban past. Have a listen but if this is true it’s childish and compromising team.

Bisonas

jeffpilot wrote:
29 Aug 2022, 11:13
I just listened to alonso’s team radio for the race and the latter half interesting. Seems alpine deliberately not telling alonso his target lap times for each stint and and he repeatedly asks and becomes annoyed. At the end of the race he accuses team of ghosting him, sees what they are doing, and asks if they just want him to let Esteban past. Have a listen but if this is true it’s childish and compromising team.

Alonso was over reacting a bit, regarding the "Ghosting" comment and the "now i understand", but it was just him saying to Alpine, look, if you try to undermine me, even in the slightest form, i will know, and i will let everybody know. (even if i am over reacting a bit). Deep inside, he fears that Alpine will try to keep Ocon ahead of him in the championship, and deep inside he will be very upset if Ocon finishes ahead of him on points.
That's all.

jeffpilot
jeffpilot

I race and don’t agree he’s overreacting as the target lap time is very important as it determines your position to everyone and not just the person behind who they were asking him to match. I also don’t think he’s overreacting, as he is driving the car which takes up a lot of mental capacity so any info asked for by the driver should be given straight away.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

This Team (their leadership to be specific) is a joke.

vorticism

Alo is leaving and perhaps for a reason despite having 3rd or 4th quickest car. Aside- who started the whole "race engineer mumbles and can't be bothered to enunciate their words" thing?
𓄀

diffuser

Yeah, Alonso's has never been known to exaggerate when he's in the cockpit. I wouldn't read anything more into that than Alonso saying..."I'm paying attention!".

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Good news. Ric signed with Alpine for 2023.

djos

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 06:08
Good news. Ric signed with Alpine for 2023.
Jeez, that was fast! =D>

Do you have a link?
"In downforce we trust"