2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 06:08
Good news. Ric signed with Alpine for 2023.
source?
A lion must kill its prey.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 19:20
djos wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 06:09
selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 06:08
Good news. Ric signed with Alpine for 2023.
Jeez, that was fast! =D>

Do you have a link?
I haven't seen any news but there is alot of BS out there.

I think, based on how confident Otmar was plus that McLaren was mum on Piastri, that both Horner and Wolfe frowned upon Piastri moving to McLaren cause of how it might affect their future jr drivers movements, they're gonna rule in Alpine favour. If McLaren want Piastri, they'll have to pay tens of millions of dollars for his services for each of the next two years to Alpine. Otmar claimed he was under contract until the end of 2024.

If teams can't hang on to their Jr. Drivers to recoup their investment, then what's the point in investing at all in F2 and F3?

It's possible that Alpine screwed up the contract but how likely is that? I would think that contract isn't something new and is straight forward.
I think it's the opposite with Otmar, he's going the extra mile to tarnish Piastri in public, sounds like someone who just wants to win in the court of public opinion. Likely in case they go for a civil action. McLaren screwed themselves with Daniel's contract, it's entirely possible Alpine have done the same. It's odd that nobody higher in the Alpine hierarchy has said anything especially since Fernando says Otmar was out of the loop in his contract talks, probably the same in Piastri's case.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

F1since1980
F1since1980

The question I have is would Daniel have really signed with Mclaren back in 2020 - after having just finished one season, if Mclaren had a performance clause in that contract to begin with?

He had a really good deal at Renault. Yes, the car sucked and they were being out raced by Mclaren with the same engine, but he had also some pretty embarrassing moments in Melbourne and Baku of that year. Wasn't he paid $36 or so million per year on that deal and had to accept half to move over to Mclaren?

My thought is that he probably would not have jumped ship to Mclaren for half the salary on a deal that included a performance clause (out) for Mclaren. He got a three year, guaranteed, golden deal to do so. Zak did not have a lot of options after Carlos jumped to Ferrari and was willing to gamble on getting Daniel no matter what,.. He rolled the dice and it cost Mclaren some serious cash in the end.

This team is probably tired of what has transpired over the last 2 years with its driver line up. In some ways they probably feel like just a pawn with Daniel jumping before even starting his second season or even discussing extending - despite the money they gave him. Add to the mix the money they spent on Oscar who publicly embarrassed them, and loosing Alonso, (which, "what do we do with Oscar if we extend Alonso for two years... " probably had something to do with not giving him a longer deal).

I think going for Gasly makes sense for this team at this point - despite his past and current relationship with Ocon. French driver in Franco-British team will probably stabilize the team's driver situation a bit and he needs to get out from under Marko's thumb. I would not be surprised if they sign at least a two year deal with options, as long as they can get him out of TR.

ringo

Come to think of it, Daniel at AT is not a bad idea. He can make it back to redbull seat if Perez gets beaten too hard by Max.

But yes Gasly at Apline can work. He is fast and i think he would be able to really make his make with a team thats less atifling than redbull.
I am not sure of his refinement, but i think his qualifying speed and also race pace is very good once the car is in a good place.
And the Alpine looks like its a very balanced car thats not hard to drive.
For Sure!!

Swed3121
Swed3121

ringo wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 04:15
Come to think of it, Daniel at AT is not a bad idea. He can make it back to redbull seat if Perez gets beaten too hard by Max.

But yes Gasly at Apline can work. He is fast and i think he would be able to really make his make with a team thats less atifling than redbull.
I am not sure of his refinement, but i think his qualifying speed and also race pace is very good once the car is in a good place.
Just so I get this right, current rumors are;

McLaren wins (or not at and pays) piastri, dumping Daniel in the process.
Alpine poaches(via payment) Gasly from AT who bring Lawson/herta (who everyone forgets doesn’t have a super license) or gets Daniel heavily discounted with MCL financial aid (but what after year 1?)
Then haas dumps mick for gio who has sponsors and a smaller repair bill (but is he any faster?) leaving mick possibly out. And to round it off Williams signs one of Sargent, mick or latifi.
And this all assumes Alfa keeps zhou.

What is going on?
Somebody’s going to end up a millionaire with the betting odds on this

organic

Swed3121 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:28
ringo wrote:

Alpine poaches(via payment) Gasly from AT who bring Lawson/herta (who everyone forgets doesn’t have a super license) or gets Daniel heavily discounted with MCL financial aid (but what after year 1?)
Then haas dumps mick for gio who has sponsors and a smaller repair bill (but is he any faster?) leaving mick possibly out. And to round it off Williams signs one of Sargent, mick or latifi.

What is going on?
I think Mick has a decent shot at getting a seat at AT/Williams

This silly season has been pretty ridiculous. 2020 was up there but the Piastri stuff makes this one better

diffuser

Swed3121 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:28
ringo wrote:

What is going on?
The FIA said on Monday that they would likely rule Thursday(it wasn't even firm). What happens after that is anyone's guess.

Espresso
Espresso

diffuser wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 23:00
The FIA said on Monday that they would likely rule Thursday(it wasn't even firm). What happens after that is anyone's guess.
CRB has 4 days to come to a decision. So Thursday afternoon the latest ..
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Big Tea

Espresso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:59
diffuser wrote:
Does 'come to a decision' cover 'Announce a decision?'. would not be the first time a vague rule has slipped things by us.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
Espresso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 01:59
diffuser wrote:
Does 'come to a decision' cover 'Announce a decision?'. would not be the first time a vague rule has slipped things by us.
The CRB won’t make an announcement, it’s up to the teams in dispute to make an statement… Which they will, if Alpine wins they will make sure that the world knows “they were right” (especially Otmar) and announce how the second seat at Alpine is shaping up… If McLaren wins, we will have an announcement that Piastri will be joining Norris for 2023

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ringo

I think Piastri joins Mclaren regardless of who wins. The relationship with Alpine is already damaged. And Alpine are better off taking the money and Gasly; who was groomed by redbull ( a better team with a better junior program) and has more experience and is French. It is a win win for Alpine. Mclaren will take Piastri and pay off Daniel's contract, and Daniel goes to Williams to replace Latifi, or goes to Haas or Alfa.
For Sure!!

continuum16

The more I think about it, I am inclined to agree that the situation is a win-win for Alpine, although I also think that more competent management could have avoided the whole fiasco in the first place.

If the CRB rules in Alpine's favor, they will either keep Piastri or get a payout from McLaren and take someone else for "free" while having the best available seat. If the CRB doesn't rule in their favor then the matter is closed and they are still free to take anyone they like. If they did win and keep Piastri then McLaren would be in shambles which would help by destabilizing Alpine's only rival for P4 for the foreseeable future.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

diffuser

ringo wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 17:04
I think Piastri joins Mclaren regardless of who wins. The relationship with Alpine is already damaged. And Alpine are better off taking the money and Gasly; who was groomed by redbull ( a better team with a better junior program) and has more experience and is French. It is a win win for Alpine. Mclaren will take Piastri and pay off Daniel's contract, and Daniel goes to Williams to replace Latifi, or goes to Haas or Alfa.
Maybe but if Alpine win , they'll have to pay $$$$$ for him.If it's true they have a contract till the end of 2024, they'll pay double $$$$. What that will be, I have no idea. The other thing is, Alpine have all the data on Piastri and if they're letting him go for financial compensation, you got to wonder how good he really is?

diffuser

continuum16 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 17:47
The more I think about it, I am inclined to agree that the situation is a win-win for Alpine, although I also think that more competent management could have avoided the whole fiasco in the first place.

If the CRB rules in Alpine's favor, they will either keep Piastri or get a payout from McLaren and take someone else for "free" while having the best available seat. If the CRB doesn't rule in their favor then the matter is closed and they are still free to take anyone they like. If they did win and keep Piastri then McLaren would be in shambles which would help by destabilizing Alpine's only rival for P4 for the foreseeable future.
If they win, then then was no incompetence, just wishiful thinking on McLaren's part. There is only incompetence if they rule in McLaren's favour.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

continuum16 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 17:47

It’s obviously not a win-win for Alpine if the CRB rule in favour of McLaren. They’ll look quite bad loosing their most successful driver in history (who’s still performing very well) and one of the brightest prospects in a while, all this in a matter of days! If they rule there was no binding ageeement, they could miss out on compensation all together. The choice of choosing whoever they like is a bit simplistic. They would like Gasly, who is signed to Red Bull, so getting him won’t be free. It will be an even worse look if they ended up with Gasly and he and Ocon can’t put the past behind them, and it’s a civil war every weekend.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.