2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:51

It doesn't gaurantee a seat at mclaren in 23, this much is known. Piastri's contract gives him reserve status for next year. Regarding the F1 drive, it comes down to my post some weeks back stating that I think this comes down to whether being offered a Williams F1 drive was enough to trigger whatever clause existed, or whether Piastri had to accept the drive or if the drive had to be at Alpine. And all of that is of course conditional on whether the contract was even binding in the first instance. Otmars press release certainly seemed to suggest that in his view, being offered the Williams seat was enough to satisfy the Alpine clauses.

Replying to Ground Effect now, whilst it is unlikely, we can't assume Alpine will release Piastri if it is deemed he belongs to them. They could hold on to him and given that the general opinion is against Mclaren and for Dan, then it might be something they think they can get away with. It is unlikely but not totally unlikely, it's a real possiblity.
Is it known though? It is also one of those things that keeps been repeated by everyone except the sources (not having a guarantee seat and been a reserve driver role)… Similar to how everyone talked and was sure there was a July 31st Deadline with Alpine and now it seems there was no deadline at all.

JPower
JPower

I still think Piastri to McLaren is a done deal.

If Alpine have really set on getting Gasly, the CRB will probably set terms for compensation and allow everyone to move on.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 15:05
mwillems wrote:

It doesn't gaurantee a seat at mclaren in 23, this much is known. Piastri's contract gives him reserve status for next year. Regarding the F1 drive, it comes down to my post some weeks back stating that I think this comes down to whether being offered a Williams F1 drive was enough to trigger whatever clause existed, or whether Piastri had to accept the drive or if the drive had to be at Alpine. And all of that is of course conditional on whether the contract was even binding in the first instance. Otmars press release certainly seemed to suggest that in his view, being offered the Williams seat was enough to satisfy the Alpine clauses.

Replying to Ground Effect now, whilst it is unlikely, we can't assume Alpine will release Piastri if it is deemed he belongs to them. They could hold on to him and given that the general opinion is against Mclaren and for Dan, then it might be something they think they can get away with. It is unlikely but not totally unlikely, it's a real possiblity.
Is it known though? It is also one of those things that keeps been repeated by everyone except the sources (not having a guarantee seat and been a reserve driver role)… Similar to how everyone talked and was sure there was a July 31st Deadline with Alpine and now it seems there was no deadline at all.
I believe it was Zak that said this but I can't find anything so you may be right.
In any case I highly doubt it isn't the case, based on the fact that DR still had to vacate his seat, but that is just my opinion but it is a moot point anyway now, the drive is his if the CRB finds in our favour.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

JPower wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 15:35

If Alpine have really set on getting Gasly, the CRB will probably set terms for compensation and allow everyone to move on.
Is that how it works, or do they decide where the super license sits?

https://uk.motor1.com/news/607221/piast ... -decision/

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 15:05
mwillems wrote:

I believe it was Zak that said this but I can't find anything so you may be right.
In any case I highly doubt it isn't the case, based on the fact that DR still had to vacate his seat, but that is just my opinion but it is a moot point anyway now, the drive is his if the CRB finds in our favour.
We will find out soon enough I’m sure… Just find it a bit unbelievable for Piastri to leave Alpine to be reserve driver and potentially missing another season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwillems

You never know what happened at Alpine I guess. and I suspect that Piastri knew Mclaren would go to do a deal with Ricciardo.

I mean really it's all a big mess. I was hoping to have heard by now.

-Bandit

continuum16

If the CRB rules in Alpine's favor, is it a foregone conclusion that Zak buys Piastri out anyways, or what? I mean McLaren must be pretty confident they aren't going to lose if they've pre-fired Ricciardo. Otherwise they've somehow come out of this worse than when they started.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:You never know what happened at Alpine I guess. and I suspect that Piastri knew Mclaren would go to do a deal with Ricciardo.

Apparently Andreas and Zak have scheduled a press conference tomorrow at 2:45pm Netherlands time… Most probably to make an announcement on Lando’s team mate

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

continuum16 wrote:If the CRB rules in Alpine's favor, is it a foregone conclusion that Zak buys Piastri out anyways, or what? I mean McLaren must be pretty confident they aren't going to lose if they've pre-fired Ricciardo. Otherwise they've somehow come out of this worse than when they started.
Not necessarily, if Alpine wins and they ask for an absurd about of money, they still have Pato, they can still have Palou in the seat… Even Herta is an option and that’s from an Indycar perspective.

Let’s say that none of those are an option, there are still drivers out there that I would consider… An unpopular opinion (and something that would would like to see) is Stoffel getting a second chance at McLaren… De Vries is another option… Reality is that there are several drivers out there that could do “as good of a job” compared to what Daniel has brought to the team while costing a fraction of his salary

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 19:08
mwillems wrote:You never know what happened at Alpine I guess. and I suspect that Piastri knew Mclaren would go to do a deal with Ricciardo.

Apparently Andreas and Zak have scheduled a press conference tomorrow at 2:45pm Netherlands time… Most probably to make an announcement on Lando’s team mate

Interesting, Mclaren know the decision then and have scheduled a PC. Either to announce Piastri or one of the Indy drivers. I wonder if Mclaren had attempted to negotiate with Alpine prior to the CRB outcome and agreed a fee for his license in the CRB found in Alpines favour, enabling a swift end to the drama.

The lack of a statement so far from Alpine feels like it might be promising overall.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 19:22
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 19:08

Interesting, Mclaren know the decision then and have scheduled a PC. Either to announce Piastri or one of the Indy drivers. I wonder if Mclaren had attempted to negotiate with Alpine prior to the CRB outcome and agreed a fee for his license in the CRB found in Alpines favour, enabling a swift end to the drama.

The lack of a statement so far from Alpine feels like it might be promising overall.
If the rumors are to be believed, Gasly will be announced at Alpine soon… Which tells me that either Alpine know that they won’t win at the CRB or they simply don’t want to work with him anymore (doubtful).

continuum16

I haven't seen anything about a press conference, but if it is happening it is 100% for Piastri because Indycar is racing this weekend, and it would make no sense to make an announcement on Friday afternoon when you could easily do it on Monday or Tuesday. Although with the amount of nonsense going on this summer I wouldn't be surprised by anything lol.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Rodak
Rodak

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 18:22
JPower wrote:

The super license is earned and owned by the driver prior to entering F1; the team has nothing to do with it.

mwillems

Rodak wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 21:05
mwillems wrote:
JPower wrote:

The super license is earned and owned by the driver prior to entering F1; the team has nothing to do with it.
But what is entering F1? Having a contract with a team...?

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 21:32
Rodak wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 21:05
mwillems wrote:

But what is entering F1? Having a contract with a team...?
My understanding is that the Super License belongs to the Driver, then the CRB assigns that super license to a Team based on a contract, the driver can’t use their license to race for a different team while the contract is valid.

People make it up more than it is… Can a driver use the Super License to race for more than one team under a contract? No… Does the license belong to the “Team” the contract is valid with, No…

An interesting scenario happens with reserve drivers, they need to have a valid super license, but can race for several teams (given that their reserve driver contract isn’t exclusive to one team).