2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Now i hope they have a clear plan also in place to vastly improve the car in 2023. This year has been a bit mediocre, hopefully they've learned some valuable lessons.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:09
Now i hope they have a clear plan also in place to vastly improve the car in 2023. This year has been a bit mediocre, hopefully they've learned some valuable lessons.
Absolutely. They need to take out drag whilst keeping the DF and low speed performance. If they can do that, things will look up. I fear though that until all the facilities are top end, the expectation won’t live up to reality

McL-H
McL-H

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:07
McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:02
JordanMugen wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 16:12

=D> =D> =D>

Seidl seems well pleased to have Piastri on the team (at least for now, early days). :D
Let’s wait and see. Could be he finds a better team in coming months and leaves us too.
Very cynical. From what I have read, I can’t really blame Oscar for getting on with his career. Seems Alpine really did play hardball with ALO and did little for Oscar in the process. He wants to get on with his career and have some certainty. Can’t blame him for that. Your chance to drive an F1 car can disappear in an instant but getting a seat in the first place is incredibly hard. When it arrives then you take it
No, you’re right. But it’s odd to not let the team that has invested millions in your career not know it then for almost a month.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:20
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:02

Let’s wait and see. Could be he finds a better team in coming months and leaves us too.
Very cynical. From what I have read, I can’t really blame Oscar for getting on with his career. Seems Alpine really did play hardball with ALO and did little for Oscar in the process. He wants to get on with his career and have some certainty. Can’t blame him for that. Your chance to drive an F1 car can disappear in an instant but getting a seat in the first place is incredibly hard. When it arrives then you take it
No, you’re right. But it’s odd to not let the team that has invested millions in your career not know it then for almost a month.
The millions thing is likely exaggerated.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

McL-H
McL-H

What a waste that in the weekend the car does so well, Ricciardo has so many technical issues.. He needs the mileage.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:25
McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 17:20
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

The millions thing is likely exaggerated.
I doubt that in, todays world… it cost Alpine over half a Million just to challenge McLaren over their contracts

“ The team (Alpine) must pay £229,965.00 to McLaren, £120,086.14 to Piastri with the arbitrators' fees ranging from £34,000 to £74,400.

An additional £16,000 is required to be paid to cover the CRB interests, meaning Alpine is liable for a total of £530,467.14 GBP in legal fees, on top of its own costs”

And that’s without their own costs

PlatinumZealot

Just wanna say that McLaren has always been about having two drivers that can extract the maximum from the car. It's the winning mentality, no better way to hone that for the future that snapping up the cream of crop of GP2 drivers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

djos

I’m glad McLaren are being Oscar, hopefully he can adapt to their eccentric handling traits.

It’s pretty darn funny how badly Alpine shot themselves in the head over him tho. Reminds me of this Monty Python skit.

"In downforce we trust"

Stig14
Stig14

djos wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 01:21
I’m glad McLaren are being Oscar, hopefully he can adapt to their eccentric handling traits.

It’s pretty darn funny how badly Alpine shot themselves in the head over him tho. Reminds me of this Monty Python skit.

https://i.imgur.com/vvf5AUq.jpg
The Sky Sports commentary team mentioned during practice how the F2 and F3 Prema teams he worked with were always impressed at his adaptability (he was able to win both series in his first year vs more experiences opponents) so it sounds like he can get on top of different cars readily. He's a relatively clean slate for McLaren to work with so with a bit of sim time and maybe the young driver test at the end of the year, hopefully McLaren can get him up to a competitive level quickly.

geogate
geogate

Mclaren have absolutely no reason to pay Alpine a dime. The only option to them is to take Piastri to civil court in an attempt to recoup some of their investment. It would be nothing to do with Mclaren. Chances of them winning any damages would be remote even if they tried, as clearly they held no valid contract over him. Thats all down to them i'd say. Seeing as all that has come out of the Alpine camp these last few weeks seems to have been nothing but bluster, you can just imagine it was the same for Alonso and Piastri.
The fact that Alpine has been ordered to pay full legal cost of Mclaren and Piastri shows just how badly they screwed up

iRacer

Hopefully Piastri isn't outclassed by Norris by anywhere near the same amount as Ricciardo was. McLaren need 2 great drivers again. It's far too close for the best of the rest and McLaren will be expecting to make the next step in the next few years once a few things are updated and fully integrated.

Stig14
Stig14

InsomniRacer wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:01
Hopefully Piastri isn't outclassed by Norris by anywhere near the same amount as Ricciardo was. McLaren need 2 great drivers to again. It's far too close for the best of the rest and McLaren will be expecting to make the next step in the next few years once a few things are updated and fully integrated.
Even if he is, he will have the excuse of being a rookie with plenty of room to learn and grow with the team. I don't see any major downsides for McLaren in this arrangement as Daniel's struggles never looked like improving so why not try something different?

iRacer

Stig14 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:02
InsomniRacer wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 10:01
Hopefully Piastri isn't outclassed by Norris by anywhere near the same amount as Ricciardo was. McLaren need 2 great drivers to again. It's far too close for the best of the rest and McLaren will be expecting to make the next step in the next few years once a few things are updated and fully integrated.
Even if he is, he will have the excuse of being a rookie with plenty of room to learn and grow with the team. I don't see any major downsides for McLaren in this arrangement as Daniel's struggles never looked like improving so why not try something different?
I agree but sometimes you can tell when it's rookie struggles rather than a true destruction of a teammate. If he's good he will be more than ready when and if McLaren ever is.

Ben1980
Ben1980

You'd think the team have decided it's better to get a young promosing driver and let them grow with the team like Lando, rather then the big expensive signing.

Oscar will have time to learn as his expectations will be lower then Daniels. Weirdly you would accept his performances being a similar level in the first season anyway.