2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasco

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Alpine in Alonso's hands are consistently faster than us and in some tracks it appears that Aston Martin have caught up. I hope we understand what went wrong this year and try to rectify for next year

MrGapes

warmer track temps. not ideal but lets see how they get on..

ScottR267
ScottR267

Well that looks like a penalty for Lando for an unsafe release

McL-H
McL-H

The guy had one job…

CjC
CjC

Yea it’s as bad as I thought.
Alpine have 4th sealed up for this season.
What is going on with Mclarens last half of the season form??
Just a fan's point of view

chrisgr
chrisgr

It's team's fault, not his. Lets wait and see the second attempt.
-edit- We always should wait and see tha end of the quali (or the race). Norris has the speed for something good. Ricciardo as usual. The track evolved quickly after our first attempt.
Last edited by chrisgr on 03 Sep 2022, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.

Darth-Piekus

Lando Norris delivered yet again but Danny delivered another dissapointment. So all I can say is Bye Felicia.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 12:47
I have doubts about Oscar at Mclaren. Not a fault of his, but Mclaren seem to be having problems with setup and development so bringing in someone who has never driven in F1 does not seem a good idea. Additionally an inexperienced driver will probably not help with preparation of the car or quickly bedding it in.

We will find out, but before they are able to do anything about it Oscar will already have become an experienced driver so they are committed.
Not a big concern really… That’s why the team has tenths of engineers looking at data to help the drivers set the cars up… Lando and Carlos did a very good job with what was a fairly new / different car with the MCL34 and help develop it nicely into the MCL35 (arguably the best car McLaren has produced in the last decade).

MrGapes

dont know if Mclaren run lighter on friday, or if everyone finds more performance...

SilviuAgo

I was sure that Ricci will be out from Q1. Pathetic"performance" from #3 car. Hardly can wait 2023 season with Piastri. Worst can not be possible!

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 15:21
Big Tea wrote:
I have doubts about Oscar at Mclaren. Not a fault of his, but Mclaren seem to be having problems with setup and development so bringing in someone who has never driven in F1 does not seem a good idea. Additionally an inexperienced driver will probably not help with preparation of the car or quickly bedding it in.

We will find out, but before they are able to do anything about it Oscar will already have become an experienced driver so they are committed.
Not a big concern really… That’s why the team has tenths of engineers looking at data to help the drivers set the cars up… Lando and Carlos did a very good job with what was a fairly new / different car with the MCL34 and help develop it nicely into the MCL35 (arguably the best car McLaren has produced in the last decade).
Totally agree. Think the driver input in the design phase is hugely overstated. And even the in season development direction feedback will be limited.

Anyway, shame to see RIC back 0.5s again. It’s so painful to watch. He seems mentally defeated

McL-H
McL-H

This performance again makes me very happy that Ricciardo is leaving. I wish the bloke so much more, but he is holding the team back weekend after weekend. It is good for the team to be moving on without him. We can say goodbye to 4th with Daniel in the car, just like he made us lose 3rd last year too.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 14:12
Ground Effect wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 13:17
Big Tea wrote:

The last guy they brought in as a rookie isn't doing that badly, to be fair.
But the team was doing fine when he came there, now that are not totally happy and a new wind tunnel coming on line.
Not saying he will not be a good driver, but no matter how much experience he has on past cars, this years (so next years) he has no experience at a time they need to calibrate the tunnel
The Tunnel calibration will be done most probably by a reserve or sim driver on a previous generation car, it won’t be done by the F1 drivers… Also, there is no reason to think that the problems with the car today will be there tomorrow (next year)… Lando came into McLaren after what may be the worst car they build in the MCL33… This car isn’t a particularly bad car either, it is draggy and that’s something that can be addressed (easier to strip drag from a car than increase DF)… But it’s not a terrible car either, it looks worse than it is because one of the drivers today is struggling a lot.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 15:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 15:21
Big Tea wrote:

Totally agree. Think the driver input in the design phase is hugely overstated. And even the in season development direction feedback will be limited.

Anyway, shame to see RIC back 0.5s again. It’s so painful to watch. He seems mentally defeated
You are right, not only is the driver involvement in design overstated, I would argue it is non-existent… The team and the hundreds of engineers involved in the design of the car will make the car they believe is the fastest car they can bring to the track… Driver feedback is used to work on weaknesses and address those, but those weaknesses can be spotted in the data also.

Darth-Piekus

I had some disagreements from time to time with some of you here in the past but you have to agree that Daniel Ricciardo is not the driver who deserves to drive a Mclaren in my opinion. The car should be able to have held 3rd last year and 4th this year if Daniel performed as intended.