2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Lando did his best but Fernando knows various ways to defend using all the area.

Emag
Emag

This year has really been subpar in every metric imaginable. The car is good in all the wrong aspects so it's tremendously hard for the drivers to make any sort of overtake. And to top it off, it's only good against the competitors in a handful of tracks.

Top that off with probably the worst strategy team bar Ferrari, and I would argue McLaren's strategy is even worse, but they don't get as much backlash because they aren't fighting for victories.

They need a big step up in almost everything to be honest. If they want to meet their "targets", with the state they are currently at, it's never gonna happen in just two years.

blastdoman
blastdoman

The time to overtake has gone. Lando lately is too cautious overtaking in my opinion.
Last edited by blastdoman on 04 Sep 2022, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Maaan at this point I can't wait for RIC to leave :D ... At first, I felt bad for him, now I just can't wait for him to leave... (I still like him but not in McLaren)...

MrGapes

blastdoman wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:39
The time to overtake has gone. Lando lately is too cautious overtaking in my opinion.
mate did you even watch on the onboards..., lando was on used softs and alonso had the new softs from before... and he was still pushing him

Lando was never close enough to pull a overtake, especially when perez started to give alonso drs

- you guys should go watch his onboard on that last restart anyway.. he was on rails
Last edited by MrGapes on 04 Sep 2022, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Daniel only ahead of Latifi...

CjC
CjC

NiyolHuayra wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:40
Maaan at this point I can't wait for RIC to leave :D ... At first, I felt bad for him, now I just can't wait for him to leave... (I still like him but not in McLaren)...
You’d imagine losing his drive would fire him up and show Mclaren what they are loosing and place himself in the shop window for the other teams but it’s just the complete opposite! It looks like he’s given up.
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lando vs 2 Alpines again.

Unsure if the vsc and sc impacted tge team.

That dodgy vsc impacted tge race!

blastdoman
blastdoman

I guess nobody expects McLaren to fight for fourth place in the championship running with only one driver

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:39
This year has really been subpar in every metric imaginable. The car is good in all the wrong aspects so it's tremendously hard for the drivers to make any sort of overtake. And to top it off, it's only good against the competitors in a handful of tracks.

Top that off with probably the worst strategy team bar Ferrari, and I would argue McLaren's strategy is even worse, but they don't get as much backlash because they aren't fighting for victories.

They need a big step up in almost everything to be honest. If they want to meet their "targets", with the state they are currently at, it's never gonna happen in just two years.
Not sure about this. It looked bad today because Mclaren are fighting 2 Alpines, they beat Ocon on the ‘same’ strategy but couldnt beat Alonso who went the other way and vise versa

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

McLaren should give Alonso a three year contract.

CjC
CjC

blastdoman wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:45
I guess nobody expects McLaren to fight for fourth place in the championship running with only one driver
It’s impossible.
5th will be a result at the rate….

MrGapes

The Prodigy wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:46
for who?

alexei
alexei

The Prodigy wrote:
I don't think that's possible since a failure with Ricciardo, it is just too risky.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
blastdoman wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:45
It’s impossible.
5th will be a result at the rate….
Yep, it's the same situation as with Ferrari last year. When McLaren had the edge, Daniel was not there to take points away from them. By the end of the season, Ferrari had the better car, and Daniel was still nowhere so it was impossible for Lando to hold off two cars.

This year it's even worse, because normally, the best available position in a race is 7th not 5th as it was in 2021. So there are less points available. All Alpine has to do to cover Lando's points is finish right behind him. It's literally impossible for Lando alone to carry the team to 4th. Unless Alpine goes backwards (which is unlikely), or Lando manages to fight for positions better than 7th consistently (which is even more unlikely), 5th in the constructors is the best possible (realistic) result this year.

Which is obviously a disappointment, but I would say it's inline with the car's performance. This is the performance of the car they built, and this is what they deserve.