2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:58
What an absolute disaster, giving the car behind the best strategy, while screwing the 7-time wdc who had a potential win. I can’t believe the team allowed this. They shouldn’t have split the strategy at that point. Ridiculous.
The didn't actively screw Lewis.. George just had a better plan for himself, which happened to be the best plan if both were on softs. George did it for George while Mercedes strategists were flat-footed again.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AA_2019 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 16:31
Why didn't they pit Lewis during the safety car? They could have told George to stay 10 cars behind, they had Albon in between Lewis and George too, and then he could pit and stay ahead of Max.

Poor restart by Lewis though, he should have waited to go at the start finish line as car behind must stay behind rear wing of car in front now.
Yeah I didn't understand why Lewis went so early on the restart. It's like he gave up already. But Max would have gotten him sooner or later. That much is clear. Lewis needs to think for himself more and force strategy like George has been doing. Once you see Max behind on softer tires, surely you don't want to be on a harder compound. He is relying on the Merc pitwall too much, a pitwall which has cost him some races last year so it surely ain't the best.

AA_2019
AA_2019

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 17:33
AA_2019 wrote:
Why didn't they pit Lewis during the safety car? They could have told George to stay 10 cars behind, they had Albon in between Lewis and George too, and then he could pit and stay ahead of Max.

Poor restart by Lewis though, he should have waited to go at the start finish line as car behind must stay behind rear wing of car in front now.
Remember though that pitted cars have to come back into the pitlane and on to the track.
They could easily have got 2 cars between them as it was safety car and bunched
Within the SC rules George could stay 10 car lengths behind Albon
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

PlatinumZealot

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 17:46
AA_2019 wrote:

Yeah I didn't understand why Lewis went so early on the restart. It's like he gave up already. But Max would have gotten him sooner or later. That much is clear. Lewis needs to think for himself more and force strategy like George has been doing. Once you see Max behind on softer tires, surely you don't want to be on a harder compound. He is relying on the Merc pitwall too much, a pitwall which has cost him some races last year so it surely ain't the best.
He went early to get the jump/catch Max Napping. It obviously didn't work, but the only other option was to leave it to the finish line, which is much riskier.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 18:07
Hammerfist wrote:
AA_2019 wrote:

He went early to get the jump/catch Max Napping. It obviously didn't work, but the only other option was to leave it to the finish line, which is much riskier.
I did suspect that maybe he was baiting Max to pass him before the line.
These two drivers are the craftiest ever and consider things we only think of later.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
AA_2019 wrote:

Why is it riskier? No way Max gets the run on him if he goes much later. Everyone knows that the RB has great straight line speed, so why give them the tow right away while on harder tires? Going at the finish line would have bought him at least a lap. Maybe someone challenges Max and he loses a position. It was far too easy for Max the way it played out. He is not a great thinker when it comes to these situations.
Last edited by Hammerfist on 04 Sep 2022, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

wogx

Wait, what? GOAT is not a great thinker?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 18:13
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

Why is it riskier? No way Max gets the run on him if he goes much later. It would have bought him at least a lap. Maybe someone challenges Max and he loses a position. It was far too easy for Max the way it played out. He is not a great thinker when it comes to these situations.
Yep, you don’t go early when you have one of the fastest cars in a straight line behind you, with a slip stream.

Might aswell of waited til the line to go and little/no chance of max getting past into turn 1 which probably mean he would have had a extra lap to try and defend.

Granted, the team should have pitted Lewis for the soft tyre which was a huge mistake

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Christian Horner said he too was surprised to see Mercedes pitting George when he should have been Lewis's rear gunner. That was a selfish move by George and the team backed it. That's how he got use to pass Hamilton.. with fresh faster tires
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

proteus

El_KaPpa wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 19:14
Christian Horner said he too was surprised to see Mercedes pitting George when he should have been Lewis's rear gunner. That was a selfish move by George and the team backed it. That's how he got use to pass Hamilton.. with fresh faster tires
He is not Bottas. George got the chance of a lifetime and there is no reason why should he play second fiddle. He is beating a 7time world champion in driver rankings which is an achievement by itself in a season where they have no chance for title.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

chrisc90

Was toto only thinking about Lewis and not the team during his interview? He seemed very bias in his answers from Sky team.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Team radio – ‘’I cant believe you screwed me like that, I cant describe how pissed I am’’.

Silly decision during the SC IMO. If you’re going all in for the win you need both cars out front. If you’re halfway aware, you concede & recognise VER is in the faster car and will eventually pass - therefore you pit both.

The saving grace is that there’s not a great difference between a 2,3 finish vs the 2,4 they settled for. Still it was v confusing
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

AA_2019
AA_2019

AA_2019 wrote:

Watching this again, George was just over 3 secs behind Lewis when they came into the pit lane, Max would have been at least a further 1 sec behind George.

So they could have pitted Lewis and he could still have been in front even without asking George to hang back.

One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Mercedes is a close second to the Ferrari pitwall when it comes to screwing strategies. What a mess. Lewis was right to be furious.