Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Do we know if the tested the older floor in FP1/2?

politburo
politburo

RicerDude wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 18:02
Did anyone notice the strange buzzing noise on the Ferrari onboards?
Seems to be on throttle.
Anyone know what it might be?
Noticed it in Zandvoort and Hungary onboard as well, could just be extra background noise pickup from the mic.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

aleks_ader

Yeah from Hungary FOM probably mess up mic position or something.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

hape
hape

Watching FP1 and FP2 again, comparing it to Spa and Zandvoort, the car looks more balanced and suspension setup looks softer too. In Zandvoort we saw porpoising from slotermakerbocht to scheivlak which really costs lap time and tyres as well.

organic

hape wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 09:55
Watching FP1 and FP2 again, comparing it to Spa and Zandvoort, the car looks more balanced and suspension setup looks softer too. In Zandvoort we saw porpoising from slotermakerbocht to scheivlak which really costs lap time and tyres as well.
Significantly less downforce means they can run softer and suffer less with porpoising. The traction problem is still not fixed as they lose in every traction zone to RB this weekend too, as opposed to earlier this season where it was the opposite

vorticism

𓄀

astralx
astralx

organic wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 11:40
hape wrote:
Significantly less downforce means they can run softer and suffer less with porpoising. The traction problem is still not fixed as they lose in every traction zone to RB this weekend too, as opposed to earlier this season where it was the opposite
Redbull runs more wings this race, this makes probably the difference in traction

organic

astralx wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:24
organic wrote:
hape wrote:
Redbull runs more wings this race, this makes probably the difference in traction
Traction issue has been there for 4 races now and the f1-75 prior to Hungary had the best traction on the grid

astralx
astralx

organic wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:25
astralx wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:24
organic wrote:

Traction issue has been there for 4 races now and the f1-75 prior to Hungary had the best traction on the grid
yes I know.... at the beginning of the season it was Ferrari strength, but now last few races compare to Redbull isn't any more. Redbull has improved in this area too, Ferrari -since they are running the newest floor i think got worse

f1316
f1316

tpe wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 21:58
Yes: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... %5D=272629

It doesn’t explicitly say they went to the newer floor for quali but it seems to be implied.

I still don’t follow how Ferrari’s concept has been entirely ruined if they’re still generating the downforce to be fast in quali - only Spa was an exception to that and I think there are other explanations for a one off. The stuff about tyre frequency sounds plausible - although won’t pretend to be an expert in that area - but the logic that the entire concept now has to be thrown out due to the TD seems odd to me given the car is clearly generating sufficient downforce over a single lap. It seems more plausible to me that, if the TD has affected them, finding new workarounds (in suspension and/or floor) that allow for the same or similar setup will be where they put their efforts - not abandoning the concept entirely for 2023.

I have been and probably am wrong but I just don’t follow the logic. It would be one thing if they were slow in quali but even in Zanvort they were thereabouts (and Leclerc even kept pace with Max in the first part of each stint until his tyres went off).

Andi76
Andi76

tpe wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 22:09
From my memory, Ferarri was bouncing since the start of the season. I hadn't see any improvement to be honest!
As for the technical issues have no clue (as I have no clue why RB doesn't porpoise).
However, bear in mind that one of the best ever cars, F2004, based it's success on the diffuser.

As another comment, the drop in pace after some laps in the race bonds well with the stiffer suspension theory. Maybe the issue is not the floor but the acceleration sensors.
Too bad we will not find out, unless Binotto tells the truth and the problem is indeed the floor. We will find out after Friday, I suppose.
Thats a very good point. I want to add that it was not only the F2004 - i know from an Ferrari aerodynamicist that they introduced a step in the diffuser after Spa 2000(not as it was often said at the beginning of the 2001 season). And we all know what followed after that. Superior Diffuser performance played a big role in Ferraris dominance of the early 00's, and still can, even with todays regulary.

outsid3r

tpe wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 21:58
Sainz tested the old floor but both went with new floor for Quali. Binotto was interviewed saying that its not that the new floor doesnt work. Its that it increased peak downforce but made the operating window of the car signifintly smaller.

So it might be the case that they still went with the new floor because of the higher tems at monza (and they possibly might retry the old floor in cooler enviornments in the future)... or... they found a setup good enough to keep the car in the correct window with the newer floor, in which case race pace should be bettered now

tpe
tpe

Yes, I read that.
Now, let's wait for the race to see if the setup is correct or not.

vorticism

Giorgio Piola
motorsport.com
𓄀

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

vorticism wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 00:09
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... h-fl-1.jpg
Giorgio Piola