2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

organic wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:21
214270 wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:19
organic wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:16

He put on used tyres for the final run so it was not a proper attempt. They wanted to save fresh softs
Are you sure? that makes no sense. Why not stay in the garage then?, and why not for the sh1t of it, run ahead of your teammate and give him the tow?
F1tv commentators said it was used softs
Yup, RUS confirmed in the pen interview.

Quite strange, why even run if you’re on used with no prospect of going faster??
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Shrieker

Season is getting weirder and weirder for Mercedes...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

mendis
mendis

Shrieker wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 17:30
They are 3rd best car by quite a margin for the whole season. It got better through the year than how it started, but still a large gap. A few races where Ferrari dropped the ball made it look better for Mercedes. They have lacked straight line performance all year long. I don't think the drag part holds much water. Red Bull put a lot more wing for Monza and Mercedes went with far far less, yet were slower through the straights. They lack engine power.

El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Does anyone know Hamilton vs Russel top speed in Q3 ? Ham is running a low drag rear wing configuration.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

El_KaPpa wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 20:05
Does anyone know Hamilton vs Russel top speed in Q3 ? Ham is running a low drag rear wing configuration.
I think they converged for FP3/quali; looked like the same wing config to me.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

El_KaPpa wrote:

ringo

mendis wrote:
10 Sep 2022, 18:07
Shrieker wrote:
They are 3rd best car by quite a margin for the whole season. It got better through the year than how it started, but still a large gap. A few races where Ferrari dropped the ball made it look better for Mercedes. They have lacked straight line performance all year long. I don't think the drag part holds much water. Red Bull put a lot more wing for Monza and Mercedes went with far far less, yet were slower through the straights. They lack engine power.
I do not think this car comes off corners very well, and this may limit how quickly they come up to speed on the straights and overally top speed. Also they tend to brake earlier than the other cars because of the instability of the aero. So there could be many reasons why they dont do well on the straights.

I do believe these struggles will help them to build a much better car for the next 2 years.
For Sure!!

pursue_one's

El_KaPpa wrote:
same spec

Quali

FP3

Swed3121
Swed3121

ringo wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 06:03
mendis wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
I do not think this car comes off corners very well, and this may limit how quickly they come up to speed on the straights and overally top speed. Also they tend to brake earlier than the other cars because of the instability of the aero. So there could be many reasons why they dont do well on the straights.

I do believe these struggles will help them to build a much better car for the next 2 years.
The traction issue (I.e not coming off corners well) seems to be shared with the McLaren, both cars which suffer from high drag and therefore generally will have lower downforce (and therefore lower traction) in order to achieve a similar top end speed to other cars.
Not entirely sure about this but I think merc may still be suffering from top end ers deployment issues (clipping) as well as the mentioned aero-instability

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

mendis wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
The drag issue was demonstrated on this forum early on in the season by Vanja, lack out outwash from the bodywork causes front wheel wake to crash into the rear wheels much more than other teams designs.

Juzh

El_KaPpa wrote:
Both at 337-338 km/h at same distance slipstream. Definitely on the lower side compared to rest of the grid (lec, ver 343/342 kmh).
On the back straight they're at 331-332 kmh which is also slow (lec, ver 339 kmh)

On the last q3 lap you can add 1-2 km/h for mercedes on top of these numbers, but they were running in veeery close proximity to cars ahead, this gave them more performance on straights, but definitely hurt them in corners.

mendis
mendis

Mchamilton wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 10:35
mendis wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
The drag issue was demonstrated on this forum early on in the season by Vanja, lack out outwash from the bodywork causes front wheel wake to crash into the rear wheels much more than other teams designs.
Something that an internet forum member demonstrating using a few basic tools with no real world data, was missed by one of history's best teams, with enormous funding, tools, talent and data? That doesn't cut it.

Gillian
Gillian

mendis wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 11:37
Mchamilton wrote:
mendis wrote:
Something that an internet forum member demonstrating using a few basic tools with no real world data, was missed by one of history's best teams, with enormous funding, tools, talent and data? That doesn't cut it.
I don't know about Vanja but there's more than a few very knowledgeable people around here... It's not that far fetched to imagine Mercedes making a mistake and if so that doesn't say anything about them being knowledgeable or not.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

mendis wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 11:37
Mchamilton wrote:
mendis wrote:
Wasn't really missed, they know they're draggy and know why I'm sure. they were never going to change the whole sidepods concept mid season, when they had a massive porpoising problem to solve

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mchamilton wrote:
mendis wrote:
Shrieker wrote:
The model used was the Barcelona "pre-car" so using that as evidence of anything related to the current car isn’t helpful.

We'll know much more once we see next year's cars. If Mercedes go towards a RBR or Ferrari style, we'll know the mice pods were a blind alley approach.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.