2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

InsomniRacer wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 17:24
runningmanz wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 15:09
InsomniRacer wrote:
08 Oct 2022, 13:56

<personal stuff removed> The fact NOW is that Ricciardo is so slow he is not wanted in F1 any more. Catch up.
Still quick enough to give McLaren a win which is the only high point for them in many years.

Let's see where he is in 2024 or for that matter where some of these other young "hotshots" are and if they achieve even half of what Ricciardo has by the age of 33.

Show some respect or go spread your Ricciardo hate on another forum.
<personal, removed>
I don't understand his plan to sit out next year. I would have driven for Haas or Williams. Maybe he's going back to RBR in 2024, after Perez's contract expires?

diffuser

.4 was the gap in quali at a long track. Alpine & McLaren are pretty close. There is a slight gap though. I agree that Alonso's bad luck is offset by Ricciardo's struggles with the McL36.

Swed3121
Swed3121

diffuser wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 17:38
InsomniRacer wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

Still quick enough to give McLaren a win which is the only high point for them in many years.

Let's see where he is in 2024 or for that matter where some of these other young "hotshots" are and if they achieve even half of what Ricciardo has by the age of 33.

<personal, removed>
I don't understand his plan to sit out next year. I would have driven for Haas or Williams. Maybe he's going back to RBR in 2024, after Perez's contract expires?
Just so he can be smashed to pieces by max again, I’m somewhat doubtful, besides the fact that I think RB are hoping they can form DeVries into a bottas for max.

I think what Daniel needs is a Gasly-like position where he can rebuild his confidence with a team where he doesn’t need to worry as much about a team-mate beating him, and where he can be the A-driver

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Swed3121 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 17:37
Szabi1112 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 15:51
I guess we are the slowest car in rain. So sad...
Really not sure what you’re talking about, we where P4/5 in the wet last weekend. This weekend was purely down to pit sequence, simply, you can’t overtake in the wet and lando was being held back by latifi
Furthermore the car doesn’t seem to like Suzuka in the wet or the dry. If we pitted on the sc in-lap we would probably have been P7/8.

Also just as an addendum, you need to read a dictionary and figure out what the word slowest means.
Both have of the Alphatauris, Alfa Romeos, Haas and one each of the Williams and AMR where behind both our cars. We finished where we qualified and only 1 car was taken out infront which was replaced by latifi, somebody who had nothing to loose and took a gamble.
You can critique as much as you like but please don’t over/misstate your opinions.

Is the car a Red Bull , NO, but is it a Williams , also no
You're wrong. Latifi gathered 3-4s gain against Norris after the PIT. It was not about holding back. Ok, Lando could get back behind Latifi for the last period of race, but I couldn't see him having a large amount of pace advantage against Latifi as Hamilton had against Ocon.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
InsomniRacer wrote:
runningmanz wrote:

No. You go and spread your unfounded delusion on another forum. Ricciardo is done. Will never win again and the McLaren win was a fluke. You're doing Ricciardo a disservice by not accepting the current situation. Embarrassing.
Maybe he is considering it from the other side, if he has had a confidence knock. Is he shaken enough to consider what would happen if he did not beat his team mate?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Szabi1112 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 18:56
Swed3121 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 17:37
Szabi1112 wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 15:51
I guess we are the slowest car in rain. So sad...
Really not sure what you’re talking about, we where P4/5 in the wet last weekend. This weekend was purely down to pit sequence, simply, you can’t overtake in the wet and lando was being held back by latifi
Furthermore the car doesn’t seem to like Suzuka in the wet or the dry. If we pitted on the sc in-lap we would probably have been P7/8.

Also just as an addendum, you need to read a dictionary and figure out what the word slowest means.
Both have of the Alphatauris, Alfa Romeos, Haas and one each of the Williams and AMR where behind both our cars. We finished where we qualified and only 1 car was taken out infront which was replaced by latifi, somebody who had nothing to loose and took a gamble.
You can critique as much as you like but please don’t over/misstate your opinions.

Is the car a Red Bull , NO, but is it a Williams , also no
You're wrong. Latifi gathered 3-4s gain against Norris after the PIT. It was not about holding back. Ok, Lando could get back behind Latifi for the last period of race, but I couldn't see him having a large amount of pace advantage against Latifi as Hamilton had against Ocon.
From the post race Interviews it seemed that lando needed to get out of Latifis dirty air behind so he could actually see anything. If you can’t overtake in the wet, why risk being so close behind another car, I do agree that we didn’t have enough of a pace differential to overtake anybody though

MrGapes

Even if Lando got close, that Williams was lightning in a straight line, it stretched about a 7 tenths in that last stretch alone. It was visibly driving off on the straights..

Darth-Piekus

So we have a Spending-Gate confirmed. Red Bull breached the regulations and cheated by spending more money to gain an advantage bringing damage to the Integrity of F1. As a fan of McLaren I demand from the FIA to punish Red Bull with the same penalty McLaren had to pay for the Spygate. It will be insulting for Mclaren and the other teams if there is a repeat of the Ferrari Engine-gate and this gets swept under the rag. That is my honest opinion and what I feel after hearing it.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 17:30
So we have a Spending-Gate confirmed. Red Bull breached the regulations and cheated by spending more money to gain an advantage bringing damage to the Integrity of F1. As a fan of McLaren I demand from the FIA to punish Red Bull with the same penalty McLaren had to pay for the Spygate. It will be insulting for Mclaren and the other teams if there is a repeat of the Ferrari Engine-gate and this gets swept under the rag. That is my honest opinion and what I feel after hearing it.
Then post it in the red bull thread where it would actually be on topic. It's off topic here.

djos

Big Tea wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 19:42
diffuser wrote:
InsomniRacer wrote:

No. You go and spread your unfounded delusion on another forum. Ricciardo is done. Will never win again and the McLaren win was a fluke. You're doing Ricciardo a disservice by not accepting the current situation. Embarrassing.
Maybe he is considering it from the other side, if he has had a confidence knock. Is he shaken enough to consider what would happen if he did not beat his team mate?
I don’t get it either, I think this is an F1 career ending move. 🤦‍♂️
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
10 Oct 2022, 17:30

That was a weird penality, in a corrupt time of F1. How do you give a penality to the team, lose all thier constructors points, but allow the drivers to keep their points? If you judge, that the team gained an advantage with the information they "stole", then the drivers, although not complicit in the theft, did benifit by driving a car built with the knowledge of the theft. Ironically, Alonso and Hamilton ended up tied and Kimi won the Drivers championship by 1 point.

Swed3121
Swed3121

djos wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 09:24
Big Tea wrote:
09 Oct 2022, 19:42
diffuser wrote:

I don’t get it either, I think this is an F1 career ending move. 🤦‍♂️
I really can’t see how this move will end well, it seems that he is gambling his entire f1 future on a large number of what if’s, if he gets Mercedes reserve driver role, and if Hamilton chooses to retire soon (it doesn’t look likely with his 5 more years comment) and if Mercedes choose him, he will simply be up against G.R , a generational talent who will have been at the Team for multiple years. Simply why?.
The biggest issue for me is not the gamble but his seeming inability to realise his days at top teams are over, if you want f1 so badly, join haas, or if you want to compete at the top so badly, what’s wrong with indycar or WEC, it seems Daniel wants to both have his cake and eat it, after being expelled from culinary school

Swed3121
Swed3121

Current Paddock rumors seem to indicate a possible McLaren-Ford Factory deal for 2027, could this be the next Mercedes V6 or are we looking at a repeat of 2015 Honda?

diffuser

Swed3121 wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 11:15
Current Paddock rumors seem to indicate a possible McLaren-Ford Factory deal for 2027, could this be the next Mercedes V6 or are we looking at a repeat of 2015 Honda?
Trying to guess how good a possible McLaren Ford partnership would be based on a rumour, leaves much room for error.

We've talked about it before here. Yes they have the ability but will they have the required level of commitment? In the past Ford has pretty much said that F1 was too rich for their blood. Kind of like me. I love the Audi RS5 but do I really want to spend that money on that car? Rumours tend to stop from becoming reality when they get to the level of required commitment "$$$$$$". I presume if the have the level of commitment, McLaren will strike a deal and we'll have something to comment on. Otherwise, it will remain a rumour.

Big Tea

Ford does not have a good record in F1 and has had a bad effect on teams. The Ford engine, that is the one funded by Ford, was in the early days the mainstay, but the return was something of a non event and either could leave Mclaren struggling. I would prefer to see funding and sponsor branding by Ford, but an engine built by a subcontractor, as Mercedes was originally.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.