2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
search

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mercedes will bring another upgrade for COTA

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... in-austin/

Will be interesting to see how much improvement it comes with. Most competitors (although Hamilton as well maybe?) look also likely to take an engine penalty

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

These were already planned. Dont expect significant gains. Cota should be slightly better for them but they wont challenge for pole. Really should beat ferrari in the race though. And possibly checo too. We shall see.
One car I no longer expect to receive any more upgrades this year is the rb18. These guys have better stopped spending. 🤣

organic

Hammerfist wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 17:59
These were already planned. Dont expect significant gains. Cota should be slightly better for them but they wont challenge for pole. Really should beat ferrari in the race though. And possibly checo too. We shall see.
One car I no longer expect to receive any more upgrades this year is the rb18. These guys have better stopped spending. 🤣
Ferrari and maybe Checo will be taking engine penalties so could be a good chance to fight at the front, without the poor qualifying hampering ability to chase down max

Who misses them, lol. Rich Energy, always good for a meme or two:

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

search

organic wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 18:01
Hammerfist wrote:
Ferrari and maybe Checo will be taking engine penalties so could be a good chance to fight at the front, without the poor qualifying hampering ability to chase down max
the Alpines as well, so less of a risk to get stuck behind Ocon ;). Would be surprised if Perez doesn't take one, so normally one car at least should start from 1st row.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

search wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 19:51
organic wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
the Alpines as well, so less of a risk to get stuck behind Ocon ;). Would be surprised if Perez doesn't take one, so normally one car at least should start from 1st row.
I wouldn’t expect an alpine to keep a Merc behind around cota. In fact I would be very surprised if an alpine outqualified a Merc around cota. What happened in Japan was mercs fault. They went for a high df setup underestimating the alpine in quali and the fact they were never going to overtake that car or those in front in the wet with no drs activated and with their lack of top speed. I dont expect them to make the same mistake again.

organic

Hammerfist wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 12:25
search wrote:
organic wrote:

I wouldn’t expect an alpine to keep a Merc behind around cota. In fact I would be very surprised if an alpine outqualified a Merc around cota. What happened in Japan was mercs fault. They went for a high df setup underestimating the alpine in quali and the fact they were never going to overtake that car or those in front in the wet with no drs activated and with their lack of top speed. I dont expect them to make the same mistake again.
Well Merc will probably run the heavier rear wing again at Austin, no? Seems they don't have tyre warmup issues when they run the higher df, but when trying the lower wing they don't have enough overall downforce to work the tyres enough to get temperature into the carcass. That's how I'm viewing it at the moment anyway

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

organic wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 12:45
Hammerfist wrote:
search wrote:

Well Merc will probably run the heavier rear wing again at Austin, no? Seems they don't have tyre warmup issues when they run the higher df, but when trying the lower wing they don't have enough overall downforce to work the tyres enough to get temperature into the carcass. That's how I'm viewing it at the moment anyway
Yes, I agree with that view. They are much happier in qualifying with the high downforce setup, but they have to think about the race more at this point. I think they will go with medium downforce, be miles off the pole time but well ahead of Alpine and Mclaren but be very competitive on race day.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
search wrote:
organic wrote:

It depends on how bumpy cota is. Alpine have another floor upgrade as well.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 18:44
Hammerfist wrote:
search wrote:

What is source on new floor upgrade?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 18:45
AR3-GP wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

Motorsport italy. Alan permane.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 18:46
organic wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 18:45
AR3-GP wrote:

Motorsport italy. Alan permane.
Thank you !

InsaneX_Badger

Tbh its clear George will finish ahead. The performance of the car isn't good enough for high points finishes to overcome such a points swing with so little races left.

Example
1st-3rd is 10 points
3rd-5th is 5 points

And will get worse the further down the grid the Mercs are in.

CHT
CHT

I don't recall anyone saying George will finish ahead of Lewis before the season started. So if George can finish ahead of Lewis this season, it will be fantastic for George's career. I think that is perhaps his main goal for the remaining race and he is likely to drive more conservatively to avoid DNF and cruise to his own little "victory".

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Some of us even said they could see George doing well against Lewis, so it's not a surprise, and quite contrary to the usual stuff put out in some quarters that Lewis is given preferential treatment against his team mates. It must be said that Lewis did the difficult stuff in the early season which allowed George a relatively comfortable start against Lewis.

Lewis certainly doesn't look like a driver that's worried about his position on the title table this year - more about getting the car back near the front end for next year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.