2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Swed3121 wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 11:15
Current Paddock rumors seem to indicate a possible McLaren-Ford Factory deal for 2027, could this be the next Mercedes V6 or are we looking at a repeat of 2015 Honda?
where have you seen the rumours?

CjC
CjC

Big Tea wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 15:34
Ford does not have a good record in F1 and has had a bad effect on teams. The Ford engine, that is the one funded by Ford, was in the early days the mainstay, but the return was something of a non event and either could leave Mclaren struggling. I would prefer to see funding and sponsor branding by Ford, but an engine built by a subcontractor, as Mercedes was originally.
Forget about a subcontractor, build it in house using a car manufacturers money and call it what ever you want for how long then re-brand it to the next highest bidder
Just a fan's point of view

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 16:58
Big Tea wrote:
Ford does not have a good record in F1 and has had a bad effect on teams. The Ford engine, that is the one funded by Ford, was in the early days the mainstay, but the return was something of a non event and either could leave Mclaren struggling. I would prefer to see funding and sponsor branding by Ford, but an engine built by a subcontractor, as Mercedes was originally.
Forget about a subcontractor, build it in house using a car manufacturers money and call it what ever you want for how long then re-brand it to the next highest bidder
That would be a sub contractor to Ford then. If that happened, and Ford 'set them up' with an engine shop, that would be idyllic.

Edit
It just occurred to me that there is a Ford engine plant in South Wales (up the M4) that is scheduled to close. I wonder what facilities they have?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CjC
CjC

Big Tea wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 17:21
CjC wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 16:58
Big Tea wrote:
That would be a sub contractor to Ford then. If that happened, and Ford 'set them up' with an engine shop, that would be idyllic.

Edit
It just occurred to me that there is a Ford engine plant in South Wales (up the M4) that is scheduled to close. I wonder what facilities they have?
Mclaren sub-contracting to Ford could work. Mclaren could own the building and equipment and Ford could own the IP. Ford or any other car manufacturer…. Porsche?🤫
Just a fan's point of view

McL-H
McL-H

McLaren should work with German engine manufacturers only. McLaren-Audi or McLaren-Porsche.

Americans are no good. They don’t know about drivability and reliability. Only power.

bauc

McL-H wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 07:42
McLaren should work with German engine manufacturers only. McLaren-Audi or McLaren-Porsche.

Americans are no good. They don’t know about drivability and reliability. Only power.
You know that FORD Cosworth is still the most successful engine constructor in F1 history right?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

bauc wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 16:32
McL-H wrote:
13 Oct 2022, 07:42

You know that FORD Cosworth is still the most successful engine constructor in F1 history right?
@McL-h That only Germans can build the best PUs is a form of stereotyping that simply isn't true. Proof is that arguably the Honda and Renault PUs are better, in some aspects, than the Merc PU. The vise versa is also true. In fact arguably the Merc PU isn't even German as it's being built in the UK by a UK company who's controlling interest were purchased by Merc. Neither of the founders, Paul Morgan (UK) and Mario Illiens(Swiss), were German. I doubt that the majority of their employees aren't British.

Over and over again in F1 history, one of the biggest deciding factors for performance has been the amount of Money invested. That was true in 2010 when Ilmor, by then called Merc, started work before and with more funding than anyone else. That was the biggest driving force behind all those victories started in 2014 and continued many of the years that followed.

mwillems

Ford also build their F1 engines from the UK.

https://onestopracing.com/best-f1-engin ... -all-time/

Mercedes probably are the most illustrious engine manufacturer having won 40% of the races they had an engine manufactured compared to Fords 33%.
I think the stats are from the start of the year so Mercs numbers will have lowered a little, but Ford have done very well.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Could I ask a general question of anyone that thinks moving from Merc would be a good plan?

I'm wondering what the reasons are, I don't see it but I'm curious to understand.

-Bandit

djos

Honestly, I’d be very surprised to see Ford back in F1. They are pivoting hard to EV’s, particularly in the U.S. so investing in ICE Tech for racing doesn’t seem to be a logical move for them.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

I suppose that argument could be made of Audi and Porsche and most other manufacturers though. No petrol or diesel car sales from 2030 in the UK with 2035 slated in the EU.

In Fords case they periodically go chasing a fast car high tech image that their brand has generally not been associated with, But still, I'd be surprised to see Ford join unless they feel that getting their branding on the new F1 eco engines will go hand in hand with the EV push. I suppose the Tesla brand is squeezing many of the traditional carmakers and as Ford joins the EV market they may want to pay a lot of cash to get the brand ready for what will inevitably a massive jump in EV sales.

The Mclaren brand association alone would be beneficial.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 00:24
I suppose that argument could be made of Audi and Porsche and most other manufacturers though. No petrol or diesel car sales from 2030 in the UK with 2035 slated in the EU.

In Fords case they periodically go chasing a fast car high tech image that their brand has generally not been associated with, But still, I'd be surprised to see Ford join unless they feel that getting their branding on the new F1 eco engines will go hand in hand with the EV push. I suppose the Tesla brand is squeezing many of the traditional carmakers and as Ford joins the EV market they may want to pay a lot of cash to get the brand ready for what will inevitably a massive jump in EV sales.

The Mclaren brand association alone would be beneficial.
I think financially they can afford it - they are certainly in better shape than VAG and Toyota who are insanely heavily leveraged. I guess it depends on if they can see a marketing opportunity that will provide an ROI.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

Yeah they are a powerhouse with cash to spare, I think it would make more sense for Ford to purchase the brand outright though, only that didn't work out well for Aston, Jag, Land Rover etc...

In the case of Aston they were bought just for some of their stylings like the front end which then made their way to the likes of the Mondeo, and to be fair looked very good.

I'd love to see a Ford engine in a McLaren just because I'd love to see ford in F1, but engines are not in the budget cap so what else is the point.

-Bandit

djos

mwillems wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 01:10

I'd love to see a Ford engine in a McLaren just because I'd love to see ford in F1
So would I.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

djos wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 00:18
Honestly, I’d be very surprised to see Ford back in F1. They are pivoting hard to EV’s, particularly in the U.S. so investing in ICE Tech for racing doesn’t seem to be a logical move for them.
For the 2026 PU, I think any manufacturer interested in investing in the series are really in it for the hybrid component, as far I know the ICE component will become more standardised and regulated, the hybrid regulations have far more freedom, so the real competition and intellectual gain should come from the electric component.

- obviously they would still need to invest in ICE tech, but not to the level of extent the team did in the past years