2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Zynerji wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:34

Lando could have won Monza ahead of Daniel if the team didn't call him off.

Lando>Daniel. There is a reason Ric was replaced. I love the guy, but complaining about having to break down cornering into its multiple facets and phases to be competitive is unbecoming of a pro driver.
That is total rubbish, Daniel was controlling the pace because he knows how to win a GP. He proved he wasn’t driving as fast as he could by taking the race fastest lap on the final lap.

You clearly haven’t done any racing at all. Even at amateur karting level you are taught to minimise the number of steps through a corner down to brake, turn and then accelerate out!

Having to consciously turn a corner into 5 different steps is the sign of a car with serious issues that the driver is having to work around!
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:50
Zynerji wrote:

Lando>Daniel. There is a reason Ric was replaced. I love the guy, but complaining about having to break down cornering into its multiple facets and phases to be competitive is unbecoming of a pro driver.
That is total rubbish, Daniel was controlling the pace because he knows how to win a GP. He proved he wasn’t driving as fast as he could by taking the race fastest lap on the final lap.

You clearly haven’t done any racing at all. Even at amateur karting level you are taught to minimise the number of steps through a corner down to brake, turn and then accelerate out!

Having to consciously turn a corner into 5 different steps is the sign of a car with serious issues that the driver is having to work around!
Lando had more pace as well.

Professionals use any tool at their disposal to accomplish their goals. Sounds like some remedial Sim time, and hard work might have caught the flunkie up to the SuperStar.🙄

To buy out a contract shows just how terrible Daniel has become as a professional.

I've paid out similar contracts, and have even waived non-compete clauses. Hire slow, fire fast. It's how you evolve and grow as a competitive company.

djos

Zynerji wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:54
djos wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Professionals use any tool at their disposal to accomplish their goals. Sounds like some remedial Sim time, and hard work might have caught the flunkie up to the SuperStar.🙄

To buy out a contract shows just how terrible Daniel has become as a professional.

I've paid out similar contracts, and have even waived non-compete clauses. Hire slow, fire fast. It's how you evolve and grow as a competitive company.
Yeah he must be crap, so crap Max didn’t learn anything from him, oh wait, he did learn from Daniel!
Jos Verstappen has revealed the team-mate his son Max learnt most from was the “qualifying beast” Daniel Ricciardo.

https://apple.news/AWbc_nZd-SBiqB05Htp1wwQ
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 04:00
Zynerji wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 03:54
djos wrote:

Yeah he must be crap, so crap Max didn’t learn anything from him, oh wait, he did learn from Daniel!
Jos Verstappen has revealed the team-mate his son Max learnt most from was the “qualifying beast” Daniel Ricciardo.

https://apple.news/AWbc_nZd-SBiqB05Htp1wwQ
I thought we were discussing 2022 Daniel? Not the non-whining Daniel of yesteryear?

Politician style defense of a driver whose team has made it clear is no longer good enough to outweigh a rookie prospect must be tiresome...🙄
Last edited by Zynerji on 18 Oct 2022, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

djos

You claiming he’s forgotten how to drive, that’s tiresome, especially given he’s got Mclaren’s only win in a decade under his belt.
"In downforce we trust"

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Cant wait for Daniel to get out the car so Mclaren can start fighting for race wins and the championship again...

djos

aran.vtec wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 07:32
Cant wait for Daniel to get out the car so Mclaren can start fighting for race wins and the championship again...
Indeed. 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

Motörhead
Motörhead

Clearly Daniel has lost all confidence. We can quibble all day long but the fact is, McLaren are best placed to judge, and they have, and now he’s going.
We can argue about the car and how ‘difficult’ it is to drive. It’s still in the top half of the grid. Lando can perform with it. Carlos could perform with it. A car with much the same characteristics, if not worse.
Yes every driver would love a car to do exactly what they want. Fact is that probably none of the cars on the grid do exactly what the individual driver wants. They have to adapt.
I’m a big Danny fan and the grid will be a worse place without him.
But……
He’s a professional racing driver, in the top echelon. He can’t adapt and has been woeful at it.
So he has to go, no matter what past glories he’s had.
Every team sees that and is now reticent to take him on. He’ll be lucky to find a seat again.

djos

He’s lost confidence in McLaren to make a suitable car for him. I think his comments show that he still has confidence in his own ability.
"In downforce we trust"

billamend
billamend

djos wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:39
He’s lost confidence in McLaren to make a suitable car for him. I think his comments show that he still has confidence in his own ability.
Thankfully no other team has enough confidence in him to hire him.

djos

billamend wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 09:48
djos wrote:
Thankfully no other team has enough confidence in him to hire him.
I think it’s fairly clear why Alpine didn’t hire him, Rossi and other high ups held a grudge for him leaving to join McLaren.

As for other options, it’s clear he wasn’t interested in joining a back of the grid team like Haas or Williams.

It’s pretty obvious Haas would love to have him.

https://apple.news/AHJhU5P61RQ-cbBuTnO7pkg
"If he's interested in us, he's not shy to call me up. I am not going to chase him down," Guenther Steiner, team principal at Haas, told The Associated Press.
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

aran.vtec wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 07:32
Regardless of who the number 2 driver is, McLaren haven't proven to me that they will not be fifth next year. I think they have a really big challenge in the design rooms right now for next year. They were way off the mark in brakes and general aero design coming into this year. If they slip up again, it will raise a bunch of new questions.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
He won a race in a McLaren car, can't get more suitable than that. It's about adapting to the strengths of the car. He hasn't done that consistently for some reason. But asking McLaren to build a car specifically tailored to his exact driving style is quite unreasonable. Someone with his experience should be able to adapt, simple as that, he's not getting the most out of the car consistently. The car could be a truck, but he shouldn't be so much slower than his team mate. I think Daniel has let himself down a bit, he personally could have done more. Look at Fernando for crying out loud, no matter what he was given, nobody could argue about his abilities.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Part of the reason Alonso, Hamilton, etc, are all lauded as greats is precisely because they can adapt their driving to many different car traits, tyre traits, tyre wear, etc. It's what gives them amazing tyre management so their race pace is maintained even above the qualifying gaps - and the ability to make the car shine in mixed conditions or the rain, etc.

Sorry but that's a very poor excuse from Danny, his experience of other cars should give him a massive advantage in being able to switch styles to extract performance, it's not a disadvantage to have more experience in more cars, more situations and with more tyres, than your novice teammate.

Zynerji

djos wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 07:19
You claiming he’s forgotten how to drive, that’s tiresome, especially given he’s got Mclaren’s only win in a decade under his belt.
Forgotten? No
Lazy? Yep