2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 16:39
Some of us even said they could see George doing well against Lewis, so it's not a surprise, and quite contrary to the usual stuff put out in some quarters that Lewis is given preferential treatment against his team mates. It must be said that Lewis did the difficult stuff in the early season which allowed George a relatively comfortable start against Lewis.

Lewis certainly doesn't look like a driver that's worried about his position on the title table this year - more about getting the car back near the front end for next year.
Lewis' situation this year isn't different than that of Schumacher in 2010 or Vettel's in 2014. It's what they had driven previously Vs what they are driving now. They were against young upstarts that were out there to prove themselves. While the machinery isn't upto the mark for the Champion, causing frustration, but is way better than anything that the upstart had driven upto that point.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mendis wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 17:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
Some of us even said they could see George doing well against Lewis, so it's not a surprise, and quite contrary to the usual stuff put out in some quarters that Lewis is given preferential treatment against his team mates. It must be said that Lewis did the difficult stuff in the early season which allowed George a relatively comfortable start against Lewis.

Lewis certainly doesn't look like a driver that's worried about his position on the title table this year - more about getting the car back near the front end for next year.
Lewis' situation this year isn't different than that of Schumacher in 2010 or Vettel's in 2014. It's what they had driven previously Vs what they are driving now. They were against young upstarts that were out there to prove themselves. While the machinery isn't upto the mark for the Champion, causing frustration, but is way better than anything that the upstart had driven upto that point.
In Hamilton's case, the car required lots of experimentation in order to establish the reasons that it was a piece of junk (relatively). Hamilton did that work.

In that regard, it's rather different to the other two you mention.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mendis
mendis

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 17:11
mendis wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

In Hamilton's case, the car required lots of experimentation in order to establish the reasons that it was a piece of junk (relatively). Hamilton did that work.

Both drivers did that as much as I followed Mercedes reports.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mendis wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 17:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
mendis wrote:

Strange. The reports I saw was that Hamilton was running the more extreme options in the first half of the season. Indeed, the team confirmed as such and once they confirmed that they had stopped the experiments, Hamilton's relative performance improved markedly.

Interestingly, with regards to Vettel's last year at Red Bull, he did struggle once the exhaust blown diffuser was removed. The system worked brilliantly with Seb's method of driving, just as Webber had performed much better before the system was implemented.

Michael was a different case entirely, having been out of the sport as a driver for a significant period before returning to partner Rosberg.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

De Jokke

Finally a reaction from Merc on the cheating of Red Bull:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _sanction/
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

CHT wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 15:28
I don't recall anyone saying George will finish ahead of Lewis before the season started. So if George can finish ahead of Lewis this season, it will be fantastic for George's career. I think that is perhaps his main goal for the remaining race and he is likely to drive more conservatively to avoid DNF and cruise to his own little "victory".
His main goal is to win a race. He even said that it was more important than beating ferrari to 2nd in the constructors’. I doubt beating Lewis in this year’s championship is something that important to him. After all sainz beat leclerc last year and that really didnt work out too well for him this year after being completely dominated. But back to Russell; This guy is not about driving conservatively. He is an ultra agressive driver.
If Merc can challenge Rbr next year he and Max are going to be fireworks. And even though he is currently slightly slower than Lewis he will never want to play second fiddle. Could be an explosive championship next year.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

When will the nonsense stop of trying to compare different drivers in different cars? It’s a never ending discussion without an answer.

PlatinumZealot

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 14:35
Tbh its clear George will finish ahead. The performance of the car isn't good enough for high points finishes to overcome such a points swing with so little races left.

Example
1st-3rd is 10 points
3rd-5th is 5 points

And will get worse the further down the grid the Mercs are in.
Well things happen. In Singapore Lewis could have poled and won with George DNF if things worked out slighty more one way or the other.

This won't be the first time Lewis loses on points either to slower teammates. He has already proved he is a league above the young gun.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mendis
mendis

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 17:49
mendis wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 17:17
Just_a_fan wrote:

Strange. The reports I saw was that Hamilton was running the more extreme options in the first half of the season. Indeed, the team confirmed as such and once they confirmed that they had stopped the experiments, Hamilton's relative performance improved markedly.

Interestingly, with regards to Vettel's last year at Red Bull, he did struggle once the exhaust blown diffuser was removed. The system worked brilliantly with Seb's method of driving, just as Webber had performed much better before the system was implemented.

Michael was a different case entirely, having been out of the sport as a driver for a significant period before returning to partner Rosberg.
I could show why Webber didn't do better than Vettel in 2012, but that's taking this thread out of context.

Here is what I could find from various things I read throughut the first part of the year when they struggled the most. Like I said, both drivers did experimentation. At one point the physical discomfort became too much for Lewis. Also, Lewis didn't go to Paul Ricard for testing which George did.

Saudi.
https://racingnews365.com/russell-gives ... udi-arabia
"On Lewis' side of the garage, they probably went a bit more conservative with the set-up than we did, and that was the difference," Russell told media including RacingNews365.com.
Imola.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-a-s ... 1-imola-gp
“It was a slight difference but not so much as it will change the way the cars are behaving, We've just got Lewis on a slightly lower level than George. But you're just talking a couple of kph on the straights. “
Australia.
https://racingnews365.com/russell-expla ... n-hamilton
"I think I was probably [using] a bit more of an aggressive set-up compared to Lewis, and [was] quicker in some corners, but then losing all of my lap time in that," he explained.
Spain.
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... in-F1-news
"We just have some improvements to make for it in qualifying. Our cars were a little bit different, we experimented something on George's car which ultimately [ended up] being the better way to go in qualifying so maybe the next race I can take that on.

Big Tea

Also if we consider the drivers mindset, George is more interested in wining, or finishing well in races, while Lewis would be more concerned with having a better car for his championship challange, be it this year or next year, so would put time and effort into long term gains v reputation as George would
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CHT
CHT

Hammerfist wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 21:30
CHT wrote:
14 Oct 2022, 15:28
I don't recall anyone saying George will finish ahead of Lewis before the season started. So if George can finish ahead of Lewis this season, it will be fantastic for George's career. I think that is perhaps his main goal for the remaining race and he is likely to drive more conservatively to avoid DNF and cruise to his own little "victory".
His main goal is to win a race. He even said that it was more important than beating ferrari to 2nd in the constructors’. I doubt beating Lewis in this year’s championship is something that important to him. After all sainz beat leclerc last year and that really didnt work out too well for him this year after being completely dominated. But back to Russell; This guy is not about driving conservatively. He is an ultra agressive driver.
If Merc can challenge Rbr next year he and Max are going to be fireworks. And even though he is currently slightly slower than Lewis he will never want to play second fiddle. Could be an explosive championship next year.
The difference between Lerclec and Hamilton is one is a 0xWDC while the other is 7xWDC. Throughout Lewis's F1 career, he has only been beaten by WDC teammate I think. For George that must be remarkable since people will remember based on results and points, not opinions.

Henri
Henri

Lewis should have copyrighted his designs

organic

https://www.formu1a.uno/mercedes-f1-202 ... heres-how/

Lots of interesting info in here about the development of the W13 and how it may help to improve the w14.
Talking again about the Silver Arrows, the final and maybe most important element for next season’s preparations is a redesign in their technical hierarchies. The team from Bracket needs “its own Newey” in the optimal position. At the moment, after a long period of external support, James Allison is slowly becoming a very influential figure in the technical office. However, we will still have to wait a few more weeks for this change in the technical organization to be made official.
The most important however, is that Duchessa suggests Allison will transition into a bigger role within the F1 team again

lukemotorsport
lukemotorsport

Is this the right thread for this?

PlatinumZealot

The team does have it's own Newey actually.... He's just well hidden!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028