2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Swed3121
Swed3121

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

aran.vtec wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 07:32
Cant wait for Daniel to get out the car so Mclaren can start fighting for race wins and the championship again...
Yea, if you’re talking about WEC championships sure, because his boneheaded insistence on not taking a lower grid f1 seat means he is not coming back

McL-H
McL-H

Swed3121 wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 17:15
aran.vtec wrote:
Cant wait for Daniel to get out the car so Mclaren can start fighting for race wins and the championship again...
Yea, if you’re talking about WEC championships sure, because his boneheaded insistence on not taking a lower grid f1 seat means he is not coming back
He couldn’t adapt to a Williams anyway, as — by his own words — he already knows how a good car should drive :lol:

mwillems

Swed3121 wrote:
aran.vtec wrote:
He's talking about Daniel leaving so Piastri can improve the team, not talking about Daniels future whatsoever :D

As for going to Williams, why is it bonehead? He's been in the sport for 11 years and has a very informed opinion about what it would take for him to stay in F1, probably a little more informed than the armchair observers with the boneheaded insistence that they know better of what he wants than the man himself! :lol:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 14:39
Part of the reason Alonso, Hamilton, etc, are all lauded as greats is precisely because they can adapt their driving to many different car traits, tyre traits, tyre wear, etc. It's what gives them amazing tyre management so their race pace is maintained even above the qualifying gaps - and the ability to make the car shine in mixed conditions or the rain, etc.

Sorry but that's a very poor excuse from Danny, his experience of other cars should give him a massive advantage in being able to switch styles to extract performance, it's not a disadvantage to have more experience in more cars, more situations and with more tyres, than your novice teammate.
That is a very good point.

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

PhillipM wrote:
Part of the reason Alonso, Hamilton, etc, are all lauded as greats is precisely because they can adapt their driving to many different car traits, tyre traits, tyre wear, etc. It's what gives them amazing tyre management so their race pace is maintained even above the qualifying gaps - and the ability to make the car shine in mixed conditions or the rain, etc.

Sorry but that's a very poor excuse from Danny, his experience of other cars should give him a massive advantage in being able to switch styles to extract performance, it's not a disadvantage to have more experience in more cars, more situations and with more tyres, than your novice teammate.
This
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Swed3121 wrote:
aran.vtec wrote:
The most scary part is Daniel has more chance of winning a championship than Mclaren in the next 4 years.

Daniel has only 2 disappointing years, Mclarens last decent season was 2012 since then Daniel has more wins than Mclaren.

Ben1980
Ben1980

aran.vtec wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 07:56
Swed3121 wrote:
aran.vtec wrote:
The most scary part is Daniel has more chance of winning a championship than Mclaren in the next 4 years.

Daniel has only 2 disappointing years, Mclarens last decent season was 2012 since then Daniel has more wins than Mclaren.
Eh?

At the moment Mclaren have little chance of winning a title in 4 years, but Ricciardo has zero chance.

haza
haza

2012? I’d say last year was a decent season despite the limits designing the car, only team to get a 1-2 multiple podiums and lando was sat in 3rd in the driver standings for the first 2/3 of the season

mwillems

Yes, the formula they replaced had just become some of the most exciting F1 we'd had in the modern era, and for a couple of years now, and Mclaren had been on the rise.
Now we are back to a bit of a borefest in terms of overtaking and Mclaren aren't firing on all cylinders yet.

If just one of the problems that MCL36 experienced was gone, it would have been a very good season with regular challenging for podiums. Hopefully it is straightforward to fix with a new chassis and we can improve a lot. Please please Mclaren sort out the straight line speed, because even if we aren't the fastest round a lap, at least we could get past people on the straight!

It's all well and good being able to follow in the corners, but if the engines are all about the same power it doesn't matter with a reduced slipstream...

-Bandit

chrisc90

PhillipM wrote:

Hamilton has only ever drove 1 F1 car before Mercedes, I’d hardly say that is being able to adapt.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 16:47
PhillipM wrote:

Hamilton has only ever drove 1 F1 car before Mercedes, I’d hardly say that is being able to adapt.
Technically he drove several F1 cars before he moved to Mercedes. But the salient point, of course, is that he won a title in one of them, and almost won a title in another one. Ah, details do ruin the narrative, eh? :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

diffuser

chrisc90 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

I'll add that many of the people that built the Merc came over from McLaren. I don't think that really matters with regards to Danny.

Not sure why people are still talking about it. He's gone from McLaren after these few races.

Trying to understand why it didn't work for him at McLaren is like trying to recognise and ant from upright position. We simply don't have the tools.
Last edited by diffuser on 19 Oct 2022, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

chrisc90 wrote:
PhillipM wrote:

But he has driven through 2 different manufacturers cars, through 3 different aero formulas, 2 different types of engine formula and apart from 1 season against Jenson Button and 1 against Rosberg he has beaten every teammate, including Alonso and pretty much demonstrated how strong he is. And then there's his adaptability in changeable conditions....

The cars also evolve in a formula, they change behaviour during a formula, gaining some bad traits sand losing others. He simply hasn't ever faltered. Whether you are a fan or not, he's a damn good driver and he gives the impression he could drive a bathtub fast round a track.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

What do you require from a car? Charles Leclerc says he has understeer and loves oversteer. How are you?

Norris: I'm knitted right there. I hate understeering cars. And that's exactly what we currently have.

Do you want to change that for next season?

Norris: I would like to. But it's not that easy. I give feedback to the team all the time. You know what I would like. At the same time, I just want them to put the fastest possible car in my hands. And if that doesn't meet my expectations, that's fine anyway. My job as a driver is to adapt to this.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ison-2022/

billamend
billamend

Lucky wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 10:59
I just want them to put the fastest possible car in my hands. And if that doesn't meet my expectations, that's fine anyway. My job as a driver is to adapt to this.
The best drivers think like that. Ricciardo should take note.