2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

214270 wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 21:24
Donkey-work being done by HAM…again
To his benefit the car appears to be shifted towards HAM's preference? More pointy for sure.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

mendis wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 20:30
Henri wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 19:36

Lewis kindda exposes they lost most power from biofuels.. i.m guessing they down 10-12 bhp to red bull and ferrari. That why they get destroyed on the straights 🙄
The drag part was always a facade, like Ferrari did in 2020. Being behind on power is not a good thing for 2023. They have to gain loads of downforce without adding an ounce of drag as that donkey at the back is already struggling to pull the current levels.

I don't see how Lewis is going to renew his contract unless there is a miracle next year. The miracle was conceivable if it was only Ferrari that was the competition, but a Red Bull with a better engine, it's just not happening.
I think it's overblown. Every engine lost power and we even calculated it in the engine threads. The teams don't know the power of the others and it would even vary track to track but we do know its closer than it has ever been.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

214270 wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 21:48
What a classy way to describe being destroyed by the new guy! :D :D :D

Zynerji

mendis wrote:
Henri wrote:

Lewis kindda exposes they lost most power from biofuels.. i.m guessing they down 10-12 bhp to red bull and ferrari. That why they get destroyed on the straights 🙄
The drag part was always a facade, like Ferrari did in 2020. Being behind on power is not a good thing for 2023. They have to gain loads of downforce without adding an ounce of drag as that donkey at the back is already struggling to pull the current levels.

I don't see how Lewis is going to renew his contract unless there is a miracle next year. The miracle was conceivable if it was only Ferrari that was the competition, but a Red Bull with a better engine, it's just not happening.
They should allow the 2021 suspension systems on the 2023 cars. This quote is the ultimate cry for them to bring it back!

Henri
Henri

mendis wrote:
Henri wrote:

Merc feel embarrassed being surpassed on power by honda and ferrari.. thats why they lie about drag on the car 😏

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Sigh…
1) They are not lying about the drag. It is there for everyone to see.
2) Everyone lost power with the bio fuels. Not just Merc.
3) The proof Merc is draggy will be evident in Mexico next week. The high altitude should help draggy aero. So if they are not miles off the max speeds in the long straight it will confirm that drag is indeed their main issue and not power.

Hammerfist wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 23:44
Sigh…
3) The proof Merc is draggy will be evident in Mexico next week. The high altitude should help draggy aero. So if they are not miles off the max speeds in the long straight it will confirm that drag is indeed their main issue and not power.
Why waste your time, no amount of correction is going to make a difference. They want to believe what they want to believe.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 22:08
214270 wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 21:24
Donkey-work being done by HAM…again
To his benefit the car appears to be shifted towards HAM's preference? More pointy for sure.
I don’t think there’s been meaningful change to the behaviour save for the bouncing personally.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

George is looking more like a slightly more polished Carlos Sainz than a Lewis Hamilton replacement. Improvement on Bottas, but still some ways to go to be filling Hamilton's shoes.
A lion must kill its prey.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Zynerji wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 22:10
214270 wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 21:48
What a classy way to describe being destroyed by the new guy! :D :D :D
And what's the situation been since the 'testing' kinda stopped.. lewis is 6/6 in quali since the summer break

mendis
mendis

Hammerfist wrote:
22 Oct 2022, 23:44
Sigh…
How do you see drag? A car with less powerful engine can be called draggy. A car with loads of drag but more powerful engine can make the car look less draggy. How do we know if Red Bull or Ferrari isn't more draggy than Mercedes? Maybe their engines are more powerful to help overcome higher drag factor. Maybe Mercedes aero is the one with lowest drag. None of us have precise aero numbers.

Mexico can help everyone as it lowers everyone's drag factor. It's not going to remove more drag for Mercedes than others unless Mercedes runs lower wing than other two.

I just feel sorry for Lewis with this boxed situation of engines and the timing for Mercedes to have dropped the ball. I don't see how the W14 can be dramatically different.

Stu

I think that a lot of the experiments with set-up were about solving some fairly big correlation issues in their sim modelling. They were so confident at the car launch (almost to the point of smugness - comments about some teams getting it really wrong probably crossed that line; but that is a perspective thing), before the cars had turned a wheel; that confidence can only have come from simulations.

Fix the model and you can start to develop, unfortunately it almost puts them into a reset for 2023, while their biggest competitors have a whole year of good data to work from.
I really hope that they can make a positive step with the W14; more teams truly in the mix cannot be a bad thing.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Jambier

So do you think they will keep those dashboard for 2023 ?

organic

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... pectations
Lewis Hamilton admitted he was "expecting a lot more" from the upgrades Mercedes brought to the United States Grand Prix, after finishing fifth in qualifying behind the Ferraris and Red Bulls.
"I had been feeling so optimistic all weekend, the car setup was feeling good, everyone back at the factory worked so hard to bring an upgrade and I was so hopeful we would be much closer than we were.

"Once we got to Qualifying, I don't know if it is because the temperatures dropped or wind or what, but the car was such a handful all of a sudden and not unlike any other time we have driven it, but I was expecting a lot more."
Wolff was more optimistic. Says there was 3 tenths more in the car:
"I think for tomorrow we could be part of some exciting games.

"I think Austin was never great for us in the past, and here it's worked well. We're six tenths off, it could have been three, so yes [it's worked]."
Last edited by organic on 23 Oct 2022, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Stu

I’m expecting them to be strong in the race, good possibility of at least one of them on the podium
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.