2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:57
chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:40
Why cant the engine mapping be altered for the increase in Ethanol?

I know in conventional engines the mapping is the difference to those running a lot more ethanol E85.
The engine mappings have been altered but that's only 1 control parameter for improvement. Without the engine freeze they would have many times more buttons to turn in order to improve.
Its more the hardware im discussing/interested in. I know if I wanted to convert my road engine to E85 it would be compatible fuel system due to the ethanol, however the engine internals/hardware would be pretty much the same as running a high octane unleaded.

What differences do the teams make to a engine in order for it to run a smidgen more ethanol. Id have just imagined it would be a boost pressure increase and timing mapping. But Ethanol tuning isnt something ive looked into/compared to how a normal engine is mapped.

Zynerji

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 20:01
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:57
chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:40
Why cant the engine mapping be altered for the increase in Ethanol?

I know in conventional engines the mapping is the difference to those running a lot more ethanol E85.
The engine mappings have been altered but that's only 1 control parameter for improvement. Without the engine freeze they would have many times more buttons to turn in order to improve.
Its more the hardware im discussing/interested in. I know if I wanted to convert my road engine to E85 it would be compatible fuel system due to the ethanol, however the engine internals/hardware would be pretty much the same as running a high octane unleaded.

What differences do the teams make to a engine in order for it to run a smidgen more ethanol. Id have just imagined it would be a boost pressure increase and timing mapping. But Ethanol tuning isnt something ive looked into/compared to how a normal engine is mapped.
I think its about flame speed, and a lower exhaust temperature that impacts the MGUh.

RonMexico
RonMexico

cheeRS wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:11
RonMexico wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 18:55
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 17:41

The driver sitting in the driver seat says the power is lacking. That is more truth than anything we can guess from observation. They have clear clipping issues which were exposed in Monza among other matter-of-fact observations.

Meanwhile Renault, Honda, and Ferrari are all reportedly as good as last year (Honda), or better (Renault due to entirely new architecture) and Ferrari (for more complex reasons....). Merc is the only PU that has gone backwards from 2021 to 2022.

Politically speaking, Merc aren't going to say much (They have 3 supply customers after all), but they know the issues are two fold (power and aero).
Man who enjoyed significant power advantage for 90+% of races in this engine era bemoans not having said advantage anymore, more at 9
What's the point of this comment other than whining?
The point being that all indications from the paddock, journalists and non-F1 engineers on here is that all the power units are making near enough the same power.

PlatinumZealot

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:38

Many subtleties here which you are missing

1) The new fuel caused a reduction in power, before the winter development cycle. That is true for all manufacturers and that's what you are parroting. What you have missed is that each manufacturer had an opportunity to redevelop the fuel and engine over the winter. Some manufacturers did a better job than the others.

Ferrari has more power this year than last year: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LatoL.html

Renault has more power than last year: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... y/9509653/

There is a late article where I believe Marko or someone from Honda confirmed (after initially reporting great difficulty) that they did not lose anything from 2021 and 2022.

Now you have the lead Mercedes driver repeating what he most likely has been told by his engineers which is that they have lost engine power (as you know, Hamilton leaks tidbits that his engineers have briefed him on). How many more red flags need be told? #-o

The second matter is that peak power is one thing. Average power is the other. How much power can be sustained? Mercedes (and likely Renault), were no good in Monza and experienced clipping and deployment issues. This is a separate conversation to drag. Clipping has nothing to do with drag. It means the operation of the ICE, MGU-H, and MGU-K just isn't good enough to sustain the peak power down the full straight (strong contrast to Honda/Ferrari).

Top speed is obfuscation to a degree. Even a Honda from 2017 will top the speed traps if you remove all the aero (which is what a 2022 Williams is...a car severely lacking in aero which lends itself to a slippery figure down the straight but terrible in the corners).
It's aero drag. You can't use one driver winge on a windy track to evaluate an engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

“He just cut across me”.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Swed3121
Swed3121

214270 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:01
“He just cut across me”.

What a moron, how many times has Russell just driven into the side of a competitor and then piped up on the radio claiming they “just turned in”.
This needs to stop before another driver gets injured by his ridiculous antics
Last edited by Swed3121 on 23 Oct 2022, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

So close man. But max in that car is still too much for anyone. . Lewis has the next best package on race day though. He gapped both perez and leclerc and he was closing down max at the end of that second stint. Baby steps but at least theyre going somewhere. Which is very encouraging. Im pretty sure merc vs rbr is going to be the story next year. Great race!

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

The drag is something they really need to get on top of. RB is having a monstruous advantage there, so that has to be the main focus of the new car.

Fantastic drive by Lewis. Made George look like Valtteri.

chrisc90

Toto claims the single decision they made wrong in October last year was they thought they 'could simply run the car on the deck' when questioned by Dannica. I think that might be a bit of politics there.

DGP123
DGP123

Season overview

Qualifying H2H
Hamilton 12-7 Russell

Race H2H
Hamilton 9-10 Russell

Russell leads Hamilton by 20 pts

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think it’s quite clear that currently HAM still enjoys a decent advantage in race pace. Especially on high fuel. Kinder on tyres too

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Russell is desperate and erratic. I suspect Lewis will be at the team longer than George....Didn't think I'd be saying that but let's see...
A lion must kill its prey.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:34
Russell is desperate and erratic. I suspect Lewis will be at the team longer than George....Didn't think I'd be saying that but let's see...
I think its been evident for a vast majority of the season too, especially when he's racing the faster cars in close quarters. If he just toned his desperation down a bit he will be a much better driver in the races.

Thing is though, unless he gets dropped by the team, he doesn't have anywhere to go anymore. Not to mention there's nobody to replace him realistically. It was probably too big of a jump too quickly for him. (williams to merc.)

chrisc90

George neigh on confirmed to Sky the will be going to the conventional side pods, 'just to rule that out', or words to that effect.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

George: We don't think the no-pod is contributing to the issues but perhaps we will change that to totally rule it out.
-paraphrasing from Sky post race interview.

That was a masterclass in saying absolutely nothing :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.