2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:41
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 23:34
Russell is desperate and erratic. I suspect Lewis will be at the team longer than George....Didn't think I'd be saying that but let's see...
Not to mention there's nobody to replace him realistically. It was probably too big of a jump too quickly for him. (williams to merc.)
Norris. Leclerc.

I don't think being moved to Merc had anything to do with it. He's 4 seasons in. He was slower all weekend and decided lap 1 T1 was the time to make wild lunge on his teammate and he would have simply held up Hamilton anyway. So blinded by trying to lunge Hamilton that he ran into Sainz.
A lion must kill its prey.

ClarkBT11

Just a gut feeling (subconscious thought) that Norris is the man to put alongside/succeed Hamilton in natural ability and Norris's personality Vs Lewis's personality would be more fruitful imo

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

There's no way Russell exits merc before Hamilton. He's close enough to Hamilton to keep him honest, without ruffling feathers; making the current lineup one of the best. He's not binning the car like Carlos, or far from his teammate, a la Checo.
Had Russell been in the second car last year, Verstappen might just now be winning his first championship.

maxxer
maxxer

rifrafs2kees wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 02:38
There's no way Russell exits merc before Hamilton. He's close enough to Hamilton to keep him honest, without ruffling feathers; making the current lineup one of the best. He's not binning the car like Carlos, or far from his teammate, a la Checo.
Had Russell been in the second car last year, Verstappen might just now be winning his first championship.
I dont know why in every team thread now its the same discussion , let Russell be and go through development to set the car up to his liking , so far he has done well and is getting the maximum out of the material he has at the moment

mendis
mendis

I have to agree that Russell is poor quality. If he can't beat an ageing multiple WDC, by a decent margin in both quali and race, it's difficult to imagine he could beat the likes of Max and Charles. I had hoped he is a super talent, but everything points to that being incorrect.

I am not sure if Lando is any better. He was beaten by George in F2 and was beaten by Sainz in both years he was at McLaren. Lando's only achievement is beating a struggling Ricciardo.

In my opinion, Charles is the man for the job. He has cracked a couple of times under intense pressure of fighting Max, but his speed and race craft is undeniable. Looking at Mercedes struggle, I am not sure if he would be interested.

proteus

maxxer wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 03:07
rifrafs2kees wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 02:38
I dont know why in every team thread now its the same discussion , let Russell be and go through development to set the car up to his liking , so far he has done well and is getting the maximum out of the material he has at the moment
The hate towards Russell started when he overtook Lewis in points tally. Every mistake Lewis made, no matter how foolish it was, some people allways made excuses for them , while Russell is heavily criticised for even tiniest mistakes . It is first season in Merc for George, and he is doing great against a seven time world champion and mistakes are to be made troughout the season, especially when you push yourself to the limit and you are eager to shine. There is a big chance Lewis will beat him in the tally until the end of the season, but George surely made him run for his money. If anything, by being consistent for majority of the season.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Big Tea

Being fair to Russell, he came into the team expecting a winning car and had a dog to sort.
What would have been his 'settling in' year has been a kick in the bum for him and a reality wake up call.

He still has the promises we saw at Williams, but he has probably not had the same car two races running.
He does need to adjust his attitude, but I still see him as one of the three best options in that seat, and the only available one.

Give him 2 years.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

atanatizante

FIA Post Race Drivers Press Conference F1 USA GP 2022 with HAM`s statement regarding the 35kph DRS delta speed between him and VER :

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7FsVjI ... tud68b5H4I

How much this delta speed is down to :

- Merc`s PU is down on power for other reasons except for the E10 issue;
- Merc`s PU is down on power due to the E10 issue;
- the W13 car is draggy;
- car setup for this track was towards a high DF configuration or higher than RB18;
- Merc MGU-K's last iteration since the freeze from the 1st of September has less efficiency than Honda`s has;
- a better MGU-H (in Honda`s case) that could transform more fuel into electric power (or in other words be more efficient in doing this process) when needed in Q3 and in the race both to overtake cars or defend against them. One proof of this is that their ERS is clipping later on the straights than other cars around ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 19:38
Hammerfist wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 18:24
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Oct 2022, 17:41

The driver sitting in the driver seat says the power is lacking. That is more truth than anything we can guess from observation. They have clear clipping issues which were exposed in Monza among other matter-of-fact observations.

Meanwhile Renault, Honda, and Ferrari are all reportedly as good as last year (Honda), or better (Renault due to entirely new architecture) and Ferrari (for more complex reasons....). Merc is the only PU that has gone backwards from 2021 to 2022.

Politically speaking, Merc aren't going to say much (They have 3 supply customers after all), but they know the issues are two fold (power and aero).
I think hamilton was talking about compared to last year. As already mentioned all the engines have lost power.
The williams is one of the fastest cars on the straights while the alfa tauri with the supposedly unbelievable honda pu is nothing special in a straight line.
When you add everything up it points to drag being the main issue here and not power.

Anyone who knows about drag racing will tell you that once you are at the 1000 hp level incremental differences in horsepower matter less. It just becomes so much harder to make performance gains at these high power levels. It would probably take 50hp or more for the difference in rb and merc to make sense were it solely or mostly down to power. I dont think there is any chance these engines have 50hp in between them.
Many subtleties here which you are missing

1) The new fuel caused a reduction in power, before the winter development cycle. That is true for all manufacturers and that's what you are parroting. What you have missed is that each manufacturer had an opportunity to redevelop the fuel and engine over the winter. Some manufacturers did a better job than the others.

Ferrari has more power this year than last year: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... LatoL.html

Renault has more power than last year: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... y/9509653/

There is a late article where I believe Marko or someone from Honda confirmed (after initially reporting great difficulty) that they did not lose anything from 2021 and 2022.

Now you have the lead Mercedes driver repeating what he most likely has been told by his engineers which is that they have lost engine power (as you know, Hamilton leaks tidbits that his engineers have briefed him on). How many more red flags need be told? #-o

The second matter is that peak power is one thing. Average power is the other. How much power can be sustained? Mercedes (and likely Renault), were no good in Monza and experienced clipping and deployment issues. This is a separate conversation to drag. Clipping has nothing to do with drag. It means the operation of the ICE, MGU-H, and MGU-K just isn't good enough to sustain the peak power down the full straight (strong contrast to Honda/Ferrari).

Top speed is obfuscation to a degree. Even a Honda from 2017 will top the speed traps if you remove all the aero (which is what a 2022 Williams is...a car severely lacking in aero which lends itself to a slippery figure down the straight but terrible in the corners).
All engines lost power compared to 2021 and not an insignficant amount of it, cars are almost down to V8 levels of acceleration (ok with more weight i'll give them that). Lets not compare to 2019 and 2018 as those were on a different level entirely.
Mercedes lost more with E10 than others, this in my opinion puts them around 10hp behind honda and ferrari. Pre-toned down ferrari was possibly even further ahead but this could also be down to supposedly mercedes being severly overweight early on.

But actually, mercedes' biggest problem is drag related. They're constantly having to run parachute RW to have any kind of corner performance and on top of that RB18 has some sort DRS efficiency advantage over everyone else, exacerbating the problem.
All that drag further creates deployment issues as ERS is working overtime to combat that effect. It's a snowballing situation. We've heard Verstappen say it in the past (saudi 2021 and again in saudi 2022) that when you're slimmer on wings ERS management is much easier and allows for easier attacking and/or defending. I will say honda must have an advantage on deployment this year no matter any other factor, as Italy proved this conclusevely, creating an anomally.

Renault PU is probably somewhere on mercedes level, however alpine has less drag (and downforce) so their "problems" are not as apparent.

organic

Bit odd for Nyck to be doing it rather than Vesti given where he's going but fair enough.

dans79

organic wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 20:45

Bit odd for Nyck to be doing it rather than Vesti given where he's going but fair enough.
Maybe they plan on feeding a bunch of fake intel to redbull! :D
201 105 104 9 9 7

organic

dans79 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 21:00
organic wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 20:45

Maybe they plan on feeding a bunch of fake intel to redbull! :D
yes... Yeah this new front wing, totally garbage. Doesn't work at all.. development wasted, would be a waste of time if other teams were to protest it :D

MadMax
MadMax

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63383726
Hamilton says trying to take this year's Mercedes to the limit is "like creeping up behind a horse".

"You're trying to get as close as possible," he says. "What's the breaking point before it kicks you in the face? And you know it's going to hurt when it hits your face.

"That's one of the best ways I can say what it's like when you're trying to lean on the car and it's snapping and unrecoverable. And this car, it's random."

organic

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10390917/
We can tell you that yesterday afternoon in the Mexico City pitlane the Mercedes mechanics disassembled the five flow deflectors that helped to “tie” the last flap of the front wing to the other element.
In the Mexico City pitlane yesterday afternoon the flow deviators were dismantled waiting for the modified parts to arrive, because the wing will be used.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.