2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Juzh wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 20:26
djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:56
dfegan358 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:52
It’s amazing how Ricciardo thinks he will have options for f1 drive come 2024. He should be begging for a Haas drive next year to stay somewhat relevant
RedBull clearly still believe in him, he’ll be their reserve driver next year and will likely replace Perez when he retires at the end of ‘23 (he’s said he’s unhappy with the expanded F1 calendar and has a very young family).
Fantasy. Perez extended for 2 years anyway until end of 2024.
Huh.. I missed that. Thought his current deal expired in end of 2023. Guess it is complete fantasy that Perez will be leaving RB anytime soon. Suppose with the Singapore and Monaco victory, he's doing exactly what he was planned to do. SIngapore especially

MrGapes

djos wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 00:28
Juzh wrote:
djos wrote:

RedBull clearly still believe in him, he’ll be their reserve driver next year and will likely replace Perez when he retires at the end of ‘23 (he’s said he’s unhappy with the expanded F1 calendar and has a very young family).
That was before the extended F1 calendar was announced.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergiop-p ... r-expands/
“Right now you’re basically [immersed in] it because we have so many races. We have simulator sessions before each event. We have partner events.

“We basically have zero time for ourselves and for our families. I have a couple of young children [with a third on the way]. I think if the calendar [expands] more, then I definitely will not do it.”
Ted corrected himself after his comments in FP, saying he was wrong and its most probably Mercedes... I don't really see a opening for him.

djos

Yeah I saw that after I posted this. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
"In downforce we trust"

CjC
CjC

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-d ... /10391315/

So let me get this right, the penalty was the right thing to do but Alpine have got off because of a technicality??
Just a fan's point of view

djos

CjC wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 07:40

So let me get this right, the penalty was the right thing to do but Alpine have got off because of a technicality??
Say what you like about the Abu Dhabi Charlie Foxtrot, Michael Massi was still a 10x better race director than the current clowns have been!
"In downforce we trust"

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:

And Haas were told they had an hour by the Fia but lose the appeal because they didn't appeal in 30 minutes.

Driving a car with sonething flapping around, and especially if it flies off, is dangerous and should be a penalty. But teams should take more responsibility for it.

Juzh

organic wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 02:21
Juzh wrote:
djos wrote:

Huh.. I missed that. Thought his current deal expired in end of 2023. Guess it is complete fantasy that Perez will be leaving RB anytime soon. Suppose with the Singapore and Monaco victory, he's doing exactly what he was planned to do. SIngapore especially
https://www.redbull.com/int-en/sergio-p ... -extension
"It’s official! Sergio Pérez will be an Oracle Red Bull Racing driver for another two years!",

so 2023 and 24 season

djos

Juzh wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 09:49
organic wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 02:21
Juzh wrote:

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/sergio-p ... -extension
"It’s official! Sergio Pérez will be an Oracle Red Bull Racing driver for another two years!",

so 2023 and 24 season
That was before he heard about plans to extend the F1 calendar.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergiop-p ... r-expands/

Anyhoo, Daniel is saying his plans don’t revolve around potential specific driver moments. Sounds like he just needs a break.

https://apple.news/AaWt4jU83SQW9_bBaTwQ5SQ
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

Ben1980 wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 09:13
CjC wrote:

And Haas were told they had an hour by the Fia but lose the appeal because they didn't appeal in 30 minutes.

Driving a car with sonething flapping around, and especially if it flies off, is dangerous and should be a penalty. But teams should take more responsibility for it.
Yep, they didn't follow the rules, teams need to take more responsibility for that and not wait for the Stewards to explain the rules to them!

All jokes aside...

The "real" problem is the rules. The rule says "unsafe" that leaves alot of room for interpretation. The rules don't say "you need two mirrors". Drivers have driven with one mirror before and have not been flagged. So, as humans do, they come to different conclusions on what that means. I could argue it's more unsafe to drive behind Stroll with a perfectly intact car than it is to drive without one mirror.
The fact is that everyone raised eyebrows when the black and orange flags where waved at Haas this year. Those black and orange flags by a different race director "different interpretation" led to the protest.

I would have been perfectly fine if they would have black and orange flagged him during the race. To then let him run 25 or more laps and then penalise him 30 seconds? Russell and Stroll deserved 30 seconds.

Darth-Piekus

Personally I think it was a right thing to do to not penalise Alonso despite not helping Mclaren's cause for their chase of 4th place. Races should be decided in the race and not outside of it and Haas in my opinion is a disgrace for ever trying to do that.

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 13:24
Personally I think it was a right thing to do to not penalise Alonso despite not helping Mclaren's cause for their chase of 4th place. Races should be decided in the race and not outside of it and Haas in my opinion is a disgrace for ever trying to do that.
In defence of Haas, they've been FK'D by the stewards at least 3 times this year iirc for the side winglet being broken - so they have every right to be deeply unhappy. The double standards are quite blatant - one race director penalises Hass and the other ignores Alpine and RedBull cars with bits broken and falling off.
"In downforce we trust"

billamend
billamend

The problem is that two race directors will interpret the rules differently. Eduardo Freitas was very strict about having pieces in the car at risk of falling, so he waved a black and white flag every time it happened.

Now, the other race director is not as strict, and didn’t. Haas complained, as they should.

CjC
CjC

Once again the FIA are going to have to write in a pathetic word-rangling rule all because common sense just can not be applied to the race officials and the teams.
F1 can be so backwards sometimes.
Just a fan's point of view

proteus

djos wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 13:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 13:24
In defence of Haas, they've been FK'D by the stewards at least 3 times this year iirc for the side winglet being broken - so they have every right to be deeply unhappy. The double standards are quite blatant - one race director penalises Hass and the other ignores Alpine and RedBull cars with bits broken and falling off.
They also needed lots of time for Hamilton, while he was literally dragging half of the wing on the floor
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ben1980
Ben1980

I think RB should get something for saying that the flappy bit wasn't a risk, and then it flew off.

And with Alpine soneone messed up. The car should have been flagged well before the bit flew off. And should a car be driving with one mirror anyway?