2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This is a little off topic but after seeing both Ferrari and Red Bull escaping consequences for cheating I am glad I am part of this great Mclaren community and fan of this great team.We might only have 8 Constructor Championships and 12 Drivers Championships but at least Mclaren got these championships fair and square

McL-H
McL-H

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 17:34
This is a little off topic but after seeing both Ferrari and Red Bull escaping consequences for cheating I am glad I am part of this great Mclaren community and fan of this great team.We might only have 8 Constructor Championships and 12 Drivers Championships but at least Mclaren got these championships fair and square
:lol: =D>

Darth-Piekus

Glad that you agree. In all seriousness though this whole situation opened Pandora's Box. Now that they saw weakness from the FIA to punish Red Bull for a serious illegality all of the other teams will try and do the same thing and the budget cap will be torn apart. Nothing really stops everyone else to do the same. Think of where Mclaren could have been if they were half a second or more faster with those extra 2 million.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 18:16
Glad that you agree. In all seriousness though this whole situation opened Pandora's Box. Now that they saw weakness from the FIA to punish Red Bull for a serious illegality all of the other teams will try and do the same thing and the budget cap will be torn apart. Nothing really stops everyone else to do the same. Think of where Mclaren could have been if they were half a second or more faster with those extra 2 million.
Think the 7 million is nothing for RBR, if it's isn't coming off the budget CAP. The 10% drop in wind tunnel time will be painful. The 7 Million was negotiated. If it would come off the budget, I presume, it would have been less. The problem with that 7 Million is, for RBR, it just comes out of their DEEP pockets, for a team like Alpine it would have come out of their pockets and out of the budget CAP. Alpine are throwing all the revenue they got and they still don't reach the CAP. Penalties that don't come out of the CAP aren't penalties at all, they're just for show.

mwillems

The 7 Million is a fine payable now and not from next years budget, nor deducted from this years.

Not sure the 10% reduction Net, Gross 7% is that big a deal. RB spent extra last year and still had time to use, so I expect once they start spending up tp the cap and not over, that 7% will come back to them anyway.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 22:10
The 7 Million is a fine payable now and not from next years budget, nor deducted from this years.

Not sure the 10% reduction Net, Gross 7% is that big a deal. RB spent extra last year and still had time to use, so I expect once they start spending up tp the cap and not over, that 7% will come back to them anyway.
They had
- 92% in 2021(special exception for all teams cause of the new aero rules).
- 75% in 2022 for new slide rule regular year for finishing 2nd.
- 63% in 2023 Based on finishing 1st and the coefficient used to calculate their allocation will drop from 70% to 63%.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 22:32
mwillems wrote:

They had
- 63% in 2023 Based on finishing 1st and the coefficient used to calculate their allocation will drop from 70% to 63%.
But I think the same principal applies. If they have to reduce car development because they went over the cap last year, they reduce the amount of Tunnel time required. I think that the 7% is relative to the scaling back of how much they can really spend if they don't go over budget again. I'm not saying it is like for like, but I don't think that the penalty hits them hard enough. Anyway, this is for another thread.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 22:43
diffuser wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 22:32
mwillems wrote:

They had
But I think the same principal applies. If they have to reduce car development because they went over the cap last year, they reduce the amount of Tunnel time required. I think that the 7% is relative to the scaling back of how much they can really spend if they don't go over budget again. I'm not saying it is like for like, but I don't think that the penalty hits them hard enough. Anyway, this is for another thread.

I agree.

MrGapes

Didn't watch much FP today, but overall the cars balance looked pretty horrendous, hopefully they can iron it out overnight

diffuser

MrGapes wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 02:09
Didn't watch much FP today, but overall the cars balance looked pretty horrendous, hopefully they can iron it out overnight
They had the cars run 2023 tires with the car set up for 2022 and not drive flat out. No surprise they had no understeer. The numbers are a waste. They have tomorrow morning to figure it out.

MrGapes

diffuser wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 03:03
MrGapes wrote:
They had the cars run 2023 tires with the car set up for 2022 and not drive flat out. No surprise they had no understeer. The numbers are a waste. They have tomorrow morning to figure it out.
I was referring to FP1, think there was a problem with the brakes splitting

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 03:06
diffuser wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 03:03
MrGapes wrote:
I was referring to FP1, think there was a problem with the brakes splitting
There were issues with Daniel’s brakes… But I saw the onboard from Lando and the car didn’t look that bad… I actually believe that it will be a decent weekend, the drag penalty of the MCL36 should be lesser in Mexico’s altitude.

Emag
Emag

Ignoring Daniel's mistake in his hot lap, it's looking pretty good for us in terms of leading the midfield. And Alpine don't look very strong as well, so there's a chance to take away some points from them.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 20:05
Ignoring Daniel's mistake in his hot lap, it's looking pretty good for us in terms of leading the midfield. And Alpine don't look very strong as well, so there's a chance to take away some points from them.
Always hard to read practice sessions… But there seems to be some pace on the car and the drivers will make a difference, Bottas showing that the driver can make quiet an impact on lap times

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

How unlucky for Daniel, less than a tenth to make it into Q3, but one of his best sessions in a long time… Hopefully he will continue to build upon it towards the race… There doesn’t seem to be a lot between McLaren and Alpine in Mexico.