Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Re: Mercedes W13

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 00:40
Didn't Merc have a 5kg weight reduction this weekend? In addition to the aero upgrades? That weight reduction has definitely made them a bit more competitive.

It was surprising that they ran out of tires.
Hamilton described the W13’s braking and turn-in limit at this stage of development as unpredictable. They managed to fix problems but not without compromises. The car has good high speed downforce, it's slow on straights and unpredictable into slow corners. He pushed that car beyond its limits in the last stint and was impossible to drive that hard without locking up into slow corners. I truly belive they will come back next year to a more conventional sidepods design together with a softer suspension that will allow them to run reduced drag on high-speed sections without trigger that bouncing but set higher when static.
Last edited by El_KaPpa on 24 Oct 2022, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

Henk_v
Henk_v

I'm not sure MB is even sure what to put on the car for sidepods in 23.

I bet they were really hoping the Williams would fly after the sidepod mod, but all they have shown is how little difference there is between a zeropod and a RB pod.

MB tried to agressively innovate, but may find themselves in a spot where they have little choice other than to inspire themselves on whats on the current grid, get something more mundane on there and accept they are at least half a season behind on their learning curve.

I hope they don't and find a way to be bold for 23, but chances are they need to minimise their losses...

toraabe
toraabe

El_KaPpa wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 08:54
AR3-GP wrote:
Didn't Merc have a 5kg weight reduction this weekend? In addition to the aero upgrades? That weight reduction has definitely made them a bit more competitive.

Hamilton described the W13’s braking and turn-in limit at this stage of development as unpredictable They managed to fix problems but not without compromises. The car has good high speed downforce, it's slow on straights and unpredictable into slow corners. He pushed that car beyond its limits in the last stint and was impossible to drive that hard without locking up into slow corners. I truly belive they will come back next year to a more conventional sidepods design together with a softer suspension that will allow them to run reduced drag on high-speed sections without trigger that bouncing but set higher when static.
In order to get the suspensipn softer, the floor / tunnels has to give the same amount of downforce with a higher ride height. Another thing is that they somehow have to get on terms with the clipping on the straight.

henry

toraabe wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:18
Another thing is that they somehow have to get on terms with the clipping on the straight.
Fixing aero efficiency also fixes clipping. High drag on the straights* means they spend longer at high power, using more energy than a car with lower drag that spends less time traversing the straight.

* also true of high speed corners.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Goblin42

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... .html?s=09
"For us, solving our aerodynamic problems was a priority. We had to make sure that we didn't fall into the same trap next year," explains Technical Director Mike Elliott. Toto Wolff reveals: "Our car will change its DNA for 2023. But that doesn't mean that the paneling will look much different."

dans79

henry wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:43
toraabe wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 10:18
Another thing is that they somehow have to get on terms with the clipping on the straight.
Fixing aero efficiency also fixes clipping. High drag on the straights* means they spend longer at high power, using more energy than a car with lower drag that spends less time traversing the straight.

* also true of high speed corners.
They are probably also using altered deployment maps, to minimize laptime loss.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Unc1eM0nty

xaero wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 06:54
AR3-GP wrote:
Maybe setup is not fully tuned as per latest upgrade requirements.
Even though Lewis was on the harder tire on that last stint, I think he had to take more out of them to compete with Max

organic

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 14:44
xaero wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 06:54
AR3-GP wrote:
Maybe setup is not fully tuned as per latest upgrade requirements.
Even though Lewis was on the harder tire on that last stint, I think he had to take more out of them to compete with Max
Listening to team radios, Hamilton was going full load in Sector 1 from the start of the stint and started also pushing in T17 a lot, whereas Max was always holding back & managing tyres in S1 a lot until he got into DRS. RB had too much pace in hand to fight and their superior pace let them deal with deg easier

W13 was fine on tyres. Not whispering like it did earlier in the season, but at those races they also couldn't generate tyre temp in qualifying. Removing that undesirable characteristic maybe took away some of the tyre life, naturally

Close to being off topic for car thread, talking about its performance.

SiLo

Where there changes to the rear wing?
Felipe Baby!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

El_KaPpa wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 08:54
AR3-GP wrote:

The car has good high speed downforce, it's slow on straights and unpredictable into slow corners.
This is two sides of the same coin though. Merc could be much quicker on the straights if they give up some of the downforce for the high speed sections.

They were very good in Sector 1, but it's a bit of an illusion. It's no different to the Williams being very good in Sector 1 in Monza and being terrible in every corner.

The car has to suit more than 1 sector on a track for the performance to be legitimate. I don't consider the Merc being quick in the high-speed stuff to be a point of praise, because they are running an incredible amount of drag in order to achieve that. Anybody can do that. RB could slap on ugly, dirty downforce to do the same thing but a they chose not to because a better balance is needed. It's the same way I don't view the William's straightline performance in Spa and Monza to be a point of praise, because they are so far off as soon as you need to turn a corner.
A lion must kill its prey.

pursue_one's

Andrew Shovlin said that small changes(small parts) to the W13 are still to come within this season.

organic

Mercedes has removed the controversial flap separators (turning vanes) to not get in trouble with FIA. Expect them to run the new wing in FP1.

organic

Stu

That is quite a neat little trick (and counterintuitive in that the endplate curves inwards). This is likely something that only AMG can do with their large FW cut-out under the end-plate.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

atanatizante

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-t ... /10391984/

Mercedes also submitted that it had a new floor edge detail for Mexico, although this was only to be used as a test item on an older specification of the floor for Nyck de Vries’ car in FP1.
Does anybody have some pictures and info about this new floor edge?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus