2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

djos wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 01:51
Swed3121 wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 23:17
What a moron, one good race and he gets desperate enough to do stupid things like this
That penalty was BS, 5 seconds ok, but 10 was pure BS! Yuki should have left more room!

Anyway, epic drive by Daniel, the softs were the perfect tire for the final stint and 7th was well deserved! Not to mention a very nice F'U to the overzealous stewards!
Yeah, I agree. I didn't think he warrented a penalty and 10s was way too strong when you consider Russell got 5s for taking out Sainz from behind in Texas.

Balalu
Balalu

mwillems wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 12:08
djos wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:54
BosF1 wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:40

Could you stop playing the same record over and over again?
Ah yes, facts can be inconvenient can’t they! 🤦‍♂️
It's an opinion that the problem is with the car and not Daniel. Everyone knows yours and you know other peoples opinion.

Banging on about it won't change anyone's mind, will it? So what exactly are you trying to achieve?
He's trying to turn his opinion into fact...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 10:55
djos wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
What a moron, one good race and he gets desperate enough to do stupid things like this
That penalty was BS, 5 seconds ok, but 10 was pure BS! Yuki should have left more room!

Anyway, epic drive by Daniel, the softs were the perfect tire for the final stint and 7th was well deserved! Not to mention a very nice F'U to the overzealous stewards!
In a pure time perspective, getting past Yuki would have freed him several seconds that he would have been stuck behind, so just giving him 5 seconds wasn't giving him a penalty at all. But Daniel did what he needed to do and I really pleased for him. What I'd like is that he gets a confidence boost and carries some form forward to help us overtake Alpine.

That Renault engine has some power, but is that because they have to run it too hard? It feels like it may not be just within reach of the other engines but they have to push its limits a bit more to get a possibility of a top 4 position.

Almost certainly now Alonso will need to take a penalty or an older engine. Interestingly, despite all the talk of the Merc engine struggling with life, it has the best life of all, with many Merc drivers having just used 3 engines.
All the negative talk about the MERC PU was coming from people that didn't know better. I've said it all along, they don't have a power problem, they have a drag issue.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:

In a pure time perspective, getting past Yuki would have freed him several seconds that he would have been stuck behind, so just giving him 5 seconds wasn't giving him a penalty at all. But Daniel did what he needed to do and I really pleased for him. What I'd like is that he gets a confidence boost and carries some form forward to help us overtake Alpine.

That Renault engine has some power, but is that because they have to run it too hard? It feels like it may not be just within reach of the other engines but they have to push its limits a bit more to get a possibility of a top 4 position.

Almost certainly now Alonso will need to take a penalty or an older engine. Interestingly, despite all the talk of the Merc engine struggling with life, it has the best life of all, with many Merc drivers having just used 3 engines.
Remember how hard it was for Honda to make the shift to mid ICE MGU-H, how many DNFs did they have those first 2 years? They should have run this PU last year. Instead, they used the time of having to build a new chassis for A521 to creating that strong core for the A522, that they use to apply the puzzle approach to thier aero.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 15:35
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

Remember how hard it was for Honda to make the shift to mid ICE MGU-H, how many DNFs did they have those first 2 years? They should have run this PU last year. Instead, they used the time of having to build a new chassis for A521 to creating that strong core for the A522, that they use to apply the puzzle approach to thier aero.
Yes, but Alpine’s PU problems aren’t Turbo related, so even when they are struggling after the change, it isn’t comparable problems… Yesterday they lost a cylinder and then the engine said “Adios Amigos”

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 15:55
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yes, but Alpine’s PU problems aren’t Turbo related, so even when they are struggling after the change, it isn’t comparable problems… Yesterday they lost a cylinder and then the engine said “Adios Amigos”
On the radio with Alonso, they lost battery power first. Is that the battery, the MGU-H or MGU-K? I don't know. They had him try a bunch different things on the steering wheel to reset it to no avail. Then, after he got passed by Ricciardo and Ocon, they tried to allocate full power of the turbo to the PU (I guess that means turn off MGU-H). That lasted one lap. They literally made the switch down the straigh one lap and poof the next lap on the straight. For all I know they could of over run the ICE with too much boost from the turbo.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 15:25
mwillems wrote:
djos wrote:

All the negative talk about the MERC PU was coming from people that didn't know better. I've said it all along, they don't have a power problem, they have a drag issue.
I'm just talking about the reliability of the engine. But talk from the paddock does suggest deployment was not quite there.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 16:21
SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 15:55
diffuser wrote:

On the radio with Alonso, they lost battery power first. Is that the battery, the MGU-H or MGU-K? I don't know. They had him try a bunch different things on the steering wheel to reset it to no avail. Then, after he got passed by Ricciardo and Ocon, they tried to allocate full power of the turbo to the PU (I guess that means turn off MGU-H). That lasted one lap. They literally made the switch down the straigh one lap and poof the next lap on the straight. For all I know they could of over run the ICE with too much boost from the turbo.
I had a suspicion that they preferred for lose an engine and force VSC or even better SC to limit the time DR had to power ahead.

Of course Alonso could have parked it somewhere trickier to remove or he could have parked in gear... but he didn't. Nice Alonso. Fetch the man a sun chair.

Edit: Was this an Alonso middle finger to Alpine?
Last edited by mwillems on 31 Oct 2022, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

genarro
genarro

And we have to remeber the other possitives. The pitstops were 1 & 2 (dannys was sub 2 secs). The reliability is there (unlike Alpine). Overall a good weekend.

And it looks like the car has shed some drag away. Looks like a very competent race car on low fuel race pace.

What we now need is just stability over these next couple of monts so that the team at the factory can embed the new infrastructure as qucly as possible.

Looking forward to the last 2 races of this season

mwillems

genarro wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 17:37
And we have to remeber the other possitives. The pitstops were 1 & 2 (dannys was sub 2 secs). The reliability is there (unlike Alpine). Overall a good weekend.

And it looks like the car has shed some drag away. Looks like a very competent race car on low fuel race pace.

What we now need is just stability over these next couple of monts so that the team at the factory can embed the new infrastructure as qucly as possible.

Looking forward to the last 2 races of this season
Drag issue will come back and bite us, this track is very high above sea level and the air is thinner. It's also possibly the reason the Alpine PU struggled.

-Bandit

BosF1
BosF1

djos wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:54
BosF1 wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:40
djos wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 09:18

It’s Mclaren’s job to build the best car for their drivers, not Alpine.
Could you stop playing the same record over and over again?
Ah yes, facts can be inconvenient can’t they! 🤦‍♂️
It really has nothing to do with that. I get your point and believe or not, I partially agree with it. McLaren hasn't build an easy to drive nor championship contending car, I think nobody is disputing that. But repeating over and over again that the car characteristics aren't to the drivers likings, does not change anything. It also does not change the fact that in McLaren's opinion Ricciardo has underdelivered, whether we agree or not. In the end they have most parameters to make a balanced decision and time will tell if they are right or not.

McL-H
McL-H

diffuser wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 14:42
McL-H wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 23:51
Stunning drive from Daniel. He was the fastest guy on track the moment he started that last stint. I was afraid he blew it, considering his pace dropped the lap after the contact with Yuki, but he came back and fought for it like a lion. Driver of the day and definitely his drive of the entire year. I wished he showed this more often during his time with the team.
I think he got lapped on that lap after the colision with Yuki. So blue flags caused his drop in lap time.
Ah that could have indeed been the case!

the EDGE
the EDGE

So what do people think of McLaren’s chances of beating Alpine (on track) at interlagos & Yas Marina

Are they tracks that suit the cars strengths?

Macklaren
Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 21:23
So what do people think of McLaren’s chances of beating Alpine (on track) at interlagos & Yas Marina

Are they tracks that suit the cars strengths?
Brazil conditions are highly likely to be variable so somewhat of a lottery
Abu Dhabi is still impossible to pass so the advantage goes to the better qualifier vs. race pace, and in recent races has been Alpine. Best bet is that one or both Alpines get another engine penalty (not proud to win that way, but don't care)

mwillems

I don't mind if we win that way, if they are fast because Alonso had to use 7 ICE's then that's an issue they need to resolve. It's bad enough Alpine have used 12 already, nearly twice the 7 engines Mclaren have used.

-Bandit