2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

As I said a while back, they do not have the same car from week to week, so do not have a 'notebook full' of data, not only on results from their own car but how their similar their cars usage is in relation to others. When the car was sliding about more, the tyres would not last so long, and looking back on the track closest in value to this one probably told them the tyres would be dead in a lap or two, and they took the safe option.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 22:11
There must be some confidence in the design given that they are still bringing upgrades to the car. (front wing for example). I know that a few curved pieces of carbon probably dont cost a great deal, but there must have been some careful design and CFD runs to work out exactly where they needed to be.
Alfa romeo also brought a front wing recently. Was reported as them bringing their 2023 front wing early. Might be the same with Merc.

chrisc90

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Some pretty good news for Mercedes: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... /10393914/

F1 to abandon 2023 tire blanket temperature reduction. The reduction by 30C would have seriously hurt them if the W14 shares any similarity.

It's a bit strange that this call comes so late in the season. Teams will have already started work on the 2023 car with the reduction in mind.
A lion must kill its prey.

InsaneX_Badger

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Nov 2022, 21:30
Some pretty good news for Mercedes: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... /10393914/

F1 to abandon 2023 tire blanket temperature reduction. The reduction by 30C would have seriously hurt them if the W14 shares any similarity.

It's a bit strange that this call comes so late in the season. Teams will have already started work on the 2023 car with the reduction in mind.
Which is probably why the reason the change has been delayed, the teams haven't coped so well, or refuse to 😅

atanatizante

In this video, the author describes the so-called RB18`s secret weapons that helped to win both WDC and WCC championships:

I wonder had the following things could be implemented in the W14 car bearing in mind they will retain the same no-pods aero philosophy as we did figure out they`ll do next year:

- variable Venturi tunnels hights in order for a constant airflow volume hence velocity, to be achieved underfloor
- a pull rod at the front axle and a push rod at the rear one with a longer suspension travel to lower the chassis at high speed
- a relatively soft suspension in order to avoid porpoising
- multi-link suspension arms to have a better ride over the bumps/kerbs
- peak downforce created by the floor at lower-speed corners when the ride height is higher rather than high-speed corners when the car runs at the minimum height
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:

Not sure what the teams can do to off set that. They leave the pits and the brakes are up to temp. That will start to bring the tires temp up... There is all this stuff when the core is too hot or not hot enough and the surface is to hot or vice versa is start to tear,etc ...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 22:17
AR3-GP wrote:

Not sure what the teams can do to off set that. They leave the pits and the brakes are up to temp. That will start to bring the tires temp up... There is all this stuff when the core is too hot or not hot enough and the surface is to hot or vice versa is start to tear,etc ...
It could be suspension geometry, it could be aero balance, or it could be the design of the brake duct. Surely the teams will have made some adaptation (which is no longer required).

cplchanb
cplchanb

Lewis was given his honorary citizenship by the Brazilian govt today. Shame that most of the ceremony had no english translation but you can see Hamilton was very moved by the gesture and the public in turn was very enthusiastic about the honor. Well...maybe not the Piquet family lol.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 01:10
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

It could be suspension geometry, it could be aero balance, or it could be the design of the brake duct. Surely the teams will have made some adaptation (which is no longer required).
I guess I don't see a way of accelerating the warming up of the tires that doesn't lead you into an over temp situation.

Wasn't Pirelli supposed to come up with some finishing agent that would generate extra heat?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 04:12
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I guess I don't see a way of accelerating the warming up of the tires that doesn't lead you into an over temp situation.
You might not see it, but we have evidence of 3 different cars warming up the tire to different degree. ferrari readily, RB more circumspect, and Merc not even bothering until it's too late. Surely there are mechanical origins for such behavior would you agree?

If RB and Mercedes push their car in the direction of the Ferrari in anticipation of another 30C reduction, then find out in September that it's been scrapped, it's an inconvenience. Likewise, if Ferrari don't make changes because they anticipate this 30C reduction will make them even stronger in the opening stages, then they've been screwed as well.

Nothing good comes of last minute changes to regulations. With that said, I still think Merc will be pleased because whatever challenge they face with warming up the tires, the issue is much smaller now.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Wasn't Pirelli supposed to come up with some finishing agent that would generate extra heat?
What if they did not need to be run at those temps? there are advantages of having sticky soft hot rubber, but once everyone has sticky soft hot rubber, there is no advantage over the others.
If the tyre operated at a lower range it would not suffer (so much) what fresh.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 16:02
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

What if they did not need to be run at those temps? there are advantages of having sticky soft hot rubber, but once everyone has sticky soft hot rubber, there is no advantage over the others.
I"m not against anything but the 2023 tires they have been testing DO require the 100C operating temp. What was proposed, correct me if I'M wrong, was Tire blankets that only heat to 70C with a finishing agent that would fire them up quickly and/or the teams would have to deal with a warm up phase.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 04:34
diffuser wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

You might not see it, but we have evidence of 3 different cars warming up the tire to different degree. ferrari readily, RB more circumspect, and Merc not even bothering until it's too late. Surely there are mechanical origins for such behavior would you agree?

If RB and Mercedes push their car in the direction of the Ferrari in anticipation of another 30C reduction, then find out in September that it's been scrapped, it's an inconvenience. Likewise, if Ferrari don't make changes because they anticipate this 30C reduction will make them even stronger in the opening stages, then they've been screwed as well.

Nothing good comes of last minute changes to regulations. With that said, I still think Merc will be pleased because whatever challenge they face with warming up the tires, the issue is much smaller now.
I agree there are things you can do but case and point right ? Ferrari Heat up tires fast but then burn them out early(Over temp). While Merc is at the other end, heat up tires slower but have longer tire stint abilities. It's almost like you need thermostat, that goes high when new tires are put on and switch to Simmer once they get up to temp. You have to do all that with the brake ducts, brake canisters and no moving parts. While right now all they need to do worry about is getting the simmer temp right.

Oh and remember, they can't modify the rims. Rims are a standard part.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 17:54
Big Tea wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 16:02
diffuser wrote:

I"m not against anything but the 2023 tires they have been testing DO require the 100C operating temp. What was proposed, correct me if I'M wrong, was Tire blankets that only heat to 70C with a finishing agent that would fire them up quickly and/or the teams would have to deal with a warm up phase.
Yeah, it would have to be one or the other wouldn't it? Either tyres designed to work without heating or allow heating. It is a bodge up as it stands