Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
El_KaPpa
El_KaPpa

Re: Mercedes W13

Suspension geometry set up

Of course I struggle. I just don’t quit.

cplchanb
cplchanb

El_KaPpa wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 19:42

https://i.ibb.co/Bn6B14D/20221110-194047.jpg
the brought the barn door again! Is it because of the thinner air? Almost everyone else is on med DF spec.

organic

cplchanb wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 20:02
El_KaPpa wrote:

the brought the barn door again! Is it because of the thinner air? Almost everyone else is on med DF spec.
At Hungary they used the high df wing and George/Lewis said they "found something" on the setup side. In my opinion, it must've been a way to find tyre temperature using the high downforce wing without compromising their race pace too much.

Since then we've seen them use their lower downforce wing only twice - when they've been essentially forced to at Spa and Monza, and at both they couldn't get the tyres working. They were over a second off the post-td Ferrari at spa in quali for instance (but a match on race pace). They've avoided using the lower downforce wing and since Hungary, when using the high downforce wing they've been close to the frontrunners on Quali pace.

I suspect if they ran the medium downforce wing again this weekend, they'd struggle to compete in quali again.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

cplchanb wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 20:02
El_KaPpa wrote:

They stated that it's related to correlation and testing for 2023. Something to do with how changing the rear wings made it difficult to maintain correlation for testing purposes.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

Probably something new for this weekend? Fabrega generally doesn't post about details like this unless he hears rumour it's new

pursue_one's

organic wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 22:14

Probably something new for this weekend? Fabrega generally doesn't post about details like this unless he hears rumour it's new

its not new.

organic

pursue_one's wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 22:44

its not new.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ham-1.webp
Thank you =D>

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I would be surprised by any teams throwing new parts on at the second to last race.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 23:22
I would be surprised by any teams throwing new parts on at the second to last race.
I could believe some experiments for 2023 might be run

MadMax
MadMax

AR3-GP wrote:
If you want to test ideas and don't want to waste limited wind tunnel and CFD resources, then throwing some bits on the car on track is the best way to do that. It's old school development - it's exactly what people did back in the day, after all.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:15
AR3-GP wrote:
If you want to test ideas and don't want to waste limited wind tunnel and CFD resources, then throwing some bits on the car on track is the best way to do that. It's old school development - it's exactly what people did back in the day, after all.
Full scale testing is far more expensive than model scale or CFD testing.

If at race 23 of 24 (or whatever the number is, I've lost count), a team is still not confident of their correlation to the point that they are testing in full scale, it points to significant and unresolved correlation issues.

As far as I see, Merc haven't brought any new parts which is what one would expect.

Before the budget caps, a big team could afford to show up to the last race or 2 with an early concept of next season's car but it never happened.

Stu

MadMax wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
But a bit ‘catch-22’ as items used on the cars are counted towards the cost cap. Earlier this year AMG we’re bringing parts but NOT fitting them to the car because of this.

The “goblin” wing (tm PZ 😁), is such a device; it was taken to the race, but not used (and I still cannot fathom how it was protested!?)
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Stu wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 08:46
MadMax wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
But a bit ‘catch-22’ as items used on the cars are counted towards the cost cap. Earlier this year AMG we’re bringing parts but NOT fitting them to the car because of this.

The “goblin” wing (tm PZ 😁), is such a device; it was taken to the race, but not used (and I still cannot fathom how it was protested!?)
How are they costed? Cost of production or time on the car (during practice) ?

MadMax
MadMax

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:47
MadMax wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
Full scale testing is far more expensive than model scale or CFD testing.

If at race 23 of 24 (or whatever the number is, I've lost count), a team is still not confident of their correlation to the point that they are testing in full scale, it points to significant and unresolved correlation issues.

As far as I see, Merc haven't brought any new parts which is what one would expect.

Before the budget caps, a big team could afford to show up to the last race or 2 with an early concept of next season's car but it never happened.
Yes, full scale testing is expensive, but the car is running on track anyway so it's just really the cost of the part. They have rule-enforced limits on wind tunnel and CFD use so they will want to use them carefully on "big stuff".

MadMax
MadMax

Stu wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 08:46
MadMax wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

If you can afford to make the part within the cost cap, and you're running the car anyway because you're at a race weekend, then the cost cap isn't an issue. Wind tunnel and CFD time are strictly limited and Mercedes were hit hard early on because of their previous success.