2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonMexico
RonMexico

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

dfegan358 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:57
Alonso hadn’t shown evidence of a significant decline in his performance. I like ricciardo. But I mean why would a top team sign him in 2024. Hes older and slower than the drivers they have.
No chance he gets a seat in any of the top teams. Who is good enough to take one of those seats? I expect all three will make a driver change for 2024 due to performance, performance and retirement as per current WCC position

RonMexico
RonMexico

dfegan358 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:57
Alonso hadn’t shown evidence of a significant decline in his performance. I like ricciardo. But I mean why would a top team sign him in 2024. Hes older and slower than the drivers they have.
No chance he gets a seat in any of the top teams. Who is good enough to take one of those seats? I expect all three will make a driver change for 2024 due to poor performance, poor performance and retirement as per current WCC position

geogate
geogate

dfegan358 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:25
I can’t understand why Daniel ricciardo believes (...snip...) It’s almost delusional.
It is almost delusional, but then again, you kinda have to be a little delusional to be a race driver. I'm sure even Lance Stroll believes he has potential to be one of the best on the grid

basti313
basti313

diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:45
Macklaren wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:27
dfegan358 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:25
I can’t understand why Daniel ricciardo believes having 2 year terrible years with mclaren then taking a year out completely from f1 will enable him to drive at the front of the grid in 2024. It’s almost delusional. I like ricciardo but I can easily see him out of f1 if he doesn’t drop down the pecking order.
Pretty sure if ALO was in a 2021 Merc or a 2022 RBR or Ferrari, he can consistently challenge at the front and he took 2 years off...
PS: Before I get jumped on, I think ALO is a generational talent but has major off track issues.
You mean like he answer too many questions without thinking how those answers can be turned around into insulting people which isn't his intention in the first place?

He's more composed in the car, especially looking at the last race. he waited to get out of the car to yell and scream.
No, there is no turning around. Alonso is toxic to the team. Except for the Briatore time, he left every team in a bad shape. No team developed for the good, especially on the side of the mechanics. There is a good reason that his car fails...the big question is if he masters Stroll completely or if the same happens as with Vettel...

And in this regard I see no use in the comparison. Alo in a Merc, Ferrari or RedBull would have been nothing but toxic.

Ricciardo is exactly the opposite. He is not intoxicating the team, he is just not there. Like a ghost.
And this will be his issue. Even if they put him as a reserve next year into a McLaren, Merc or Aston...he might do his job, but will be nothing but invisible. Even Hulk has more "shine".
I do not expect Ricciardo to be more than a Nr.1 Sim driver for the next years.
Don`t russel the hamster!

diffuser

basti313 wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 10:19
diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:45
Macklaren wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 00:27

Pretty sure if ALO was in a 2021 Merc or a 2022 RBR or Ferrari, he can consistently challenge at the front and he took 2 years off...
PS: Before I get jumped on, I think ALO is a generational talent but has major off track issues.
You mean like he answer too many questions without thinking how those answers can be turned around into insulting people which isn't his intention in the first place?

He's more composed in the car, especially looking at the last race. he waited to get out of the car to yell and scream.
No, there is no turning around. Alonso is toxic to the team. Except for the Briatore time, he left every team in a bad shape. No team developed for the good, especially on the side of the mechanics. There is a good reason that his car fails...the big question is if he masters Stroll completely or if the same happens as with Vettel...

And in this regard I see no use in the comparison. Alo in a Merc, Ferrari or RedBull would have been nothing but toxic.

Ricciardo is exactly the opposite. He is not intoxicating the team, he is just not there. Like a ghost.
And this will be his issue. Even if they put him as a reserve next year into a McLaren, Merc or Aston...he might do his job, but will be nothing but invisible. Even Hulk has more "shine".
I do not expect Ricciardo to be more than a Nr.1 Sim driver for the next years.
Ok, if you say so.

MrGapes

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-real ... t-mclaren/

James Key speaking about the next steps for the wind tunnel.

+ interesting piece by Gary Anderson at the end

I guess adaptive wall technology really helps with the lack of space, pretty sure Mercedes use the same thing

blastdoman
blastdoman

organic

blastdoman wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 00:41
Maybe Lando won't race in Brazil:

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-prepa ... eplacement
They certainly seem to be expecting that Lando won't be ready for tomorrow. But most things I've read have only alluded to Friday being a likely issue and by Saturday he should be okay?

Swed3121
Swed3121

Seems Nyck has had a seat fit late on Thursday in anticipation of lando not being well enough for Friday

MrGapes

Lando is feeling well and will be driving today

CjC
CjC

Boy I cannot wait for qualifying later!!
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

This is completely off topic but I have found out an old link from 2010 that had full details from Max Mosley's FIA Spygate set up to damage Mclaren due to his vendetta with Ron Dennis. The link had plenty of details of how the FIA helped Ferrari with extra money, changing rules in their favor even mid season and setting up the whole Spygate so Ferrari could get both championships under the table with detailed links and articles that explained everything. However the link is now dead and doesn't work anymore.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/calvertfilm/fia.htm

Not that it matters really now but wanted to share it with everyone here.

Darth-Piekus

In the meantime Lando Norris likes these strange mixed conditions. Danny was almost eliminated but not his fault this time.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 11 Nov 2022, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Lando just seems otherworldly when it comes to the inter-soft switch.
Q1 lando P1 , Danny P15.

Darth-Piekus

He seems to be able to find something more than the rest on these situations no matter what car he has.