2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

diffuser wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 21:26
Swed3121 wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 14:45
Good news then for Piastri, didn’t McLaren already confirm Pato for the young driver test though?, or can you run 2 cars?
AFAIK one car was for young drivers and one was for a tyre test
The Abu Dhabi test? I know who AMR are running... Alpine will be running Gasley, AMR Alonso and McLaren Piastri...Wouldn't call it a young drivers test.
Two cars allowed for each team, one for the 2023 tyre test and the other for the young driver test. I'm assuming Fernando, Pierre will be doing tyre tests.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

It was a good sprint.Apart from the first 3 Lando Norris was best of the rest and the most important thing is that both Alpines start from way back. Gained 2 more points compared to 0 of the Alpines.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Swed3121 wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:05
MrGapes wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 21:48
yeah the sprint race just kind off sorts out whatever mismatch's there were in qualifying, front runners have a easy 1 sec a lap advantage
This is the exact reason, we shouldn’t have the sprint set Sunday’s grid, nice job of getting rid of any suspense or interest in Sunday’s race
With the pace difference between the top 3 and the rest, it would have been a similar outcome regardless… Today we had some exciting racing in the Sprint, I personally enjoyed it a lot and not bothered by the outcome… Lando finishing best of the rest, the Alpine’s now behind both McLaren’s for the race (which was the goal), a couple points from it for the WCC… Great result overall

MrGapes

this was the best outcome to be honest. tomorrow probably best to hold position, not waste time fighting the front runners and using up tyres, with some luck and mishaps at the front maybe gain a few more points on Alpine

MrGapes

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:08
Swed3121 wrote:
MrGapes wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 21:48
yeah the sprint race just kind off sorts out whatever mismatch's there were in qualifying, front runners have a easy 1 sec a lap advantage
This is the exact reason, we shouldn’t have the sprint set Sunday’s grid, nice job of getting rid of any suspense or interest in Sunday’s race
With the pace difference between the top 3 and the rest, it would have been a similar outcome regardless… Today we had some exciting racing in the Sprint, I personally enjoyed it a lot and not bothered by the outcome… Lando finishing best of the rest, the Alpine’s now behind both McLaren’s for the race (which was the goal), a couple points from it for the WCC… Great result overall
oh no I agree, I enjoyed the sprint race...I think its probably better to have similar paced cars around each other for the sport...might suck for overachieving midfielders, but lets be honest they will be overtaken tomorrow anyway
Last edited by MrGapes on 12 Nov 2022, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Wondering if a bit of the lack of pace in the car was due to it been setup for changeable conditions and the Team is expecting a wet race tomorrow… Wishful thinking on my part maybe… But the car looked very good in Qualifying and surprising that it didn’t look to have as much pace during the Sprint

MrGapes

SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:11
Wondering if a bit of the lack of pace in the car was due to it been setup for changeable conditions and the Team is expecting a wet race tomorrow… Wishful thinking on my part maybe… But the car looked very good in Qualifying and surprising that it didn’t look to have as much pace during the Sprint
Pace was good, Lando 5 tenths on rest of midfield after he passed Kmag, just nowhere near the front runners the usual

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:10
SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:08
Swed3121 wrote:

oh no I agree, I enjoyed the sprint race...I think its probably better to have similar paced cars around each other for the sport...might suck for overachieving midfielders, but lets be honest they will be overtaken tomorrow anyway
Definitely… But reality is that it has rarely been the case in F1… F1 has always had dominant Teams… With the cost cap and stable regulations, F1 has the best chance it has ever had to try and get the field closer in future seasons… But it will take at least 3 seasons for that to happen, the inherited advantage they have will take some time to be overcome by the rest of the Teams… Next season it should be a bit closer, but most probably we will still have a top 3 in 2023 and even 2024

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:12
SmallSoldier wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:11
Pace was good, Lando 5 tenths on rest of midfield after he passed Kmag, just nowhere near the front runners the usual
That’s the best scenario, if Lando can maintain P7 after the first couple of laps tomorrow and even if there is a 0.2-0.3 advantage to the guys behind, he should have a fairly good race tomorrow.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Norris wasn’t feeling well today, watching the onboards he rarely spoke and was constantly reminded to drink… Even once the race was over, he was asked to just “click” (press the radio button) to confirm if he was ok… Great performance considering the circumstances, hopefully he will be in better shape tomorrow

Macklaren
Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 00:02
Norris wasn’t feeling well today, watching the onboards he rarely spoke and was constantly reminded to drink… Even once the race was over, he was asked to just “click” (press the radio button) to confirm if he was ok… Great performance considering the circumstances, hopefully he will be in better shape tomorrow
Yes skipped his post sprint media appearances to rest up. Great drive given the circumstances. Brazil is a tough GP in the best of conditions

djos

Solid sprint race for Daniel, bit of a shocker for Lando tho! The way he was going I thought KMag was going to keep 7th.
"In downforce we trust"

billamend
billamend

djos wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 01:36
Solid sprint race for Daniel, bit of a shocker for Lando tho! The way he was going I thought KMag was going to keep 7th.
:lol:

Balalu
Balalu

billamend wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 01:39
djos wrote:
:lol:
Unbelievable, isn't it?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Swed3121
Swed3121

djos wrote:
I sincerely hope this is sarcasm