2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

The track was rapidly getting wetter at that point and George wanted to quickly get back to the track in order to get a lap in before it rained. I don't think it was ridiculous for George to do what he did. Just didn't realize how wet it had gotten at T1 in the last 30 seconds.

chrisc90

I kind of disagree with your comments on George spinning the car. I give him the mistake as they happen, unfortunate too snag a rear on the grass which offset the balance of the car. However, at that point once he had gone through the gravel, there was no need to be silly trying to spin the car. Its common knowledge that a F1 car rarely gets out the gravel, so spinning the wheels up to try and spin the car was silly. George's main priority was nursing the car back onto the track.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 17:16
I kind of disagree with your comments on George spinning the car. I give him the mistake as they happen, unfortunate too snag a rear on the grass which offset the balance of the car. However, at that point once he had gone through the gravel, there was no need to be silly trying to spin the car. Its common knowledge that a F1 car rarely gets out the gravel, so spinning the wheels up to try and spin the car was silly. George's main priority was nursing the car back onto the track.
I'm of two minds. If you give George the benefit of doubt, then he wasn't trying to spin the car. He just misjudged the grip level (completely wet in the runoff while on slicks) and probably didn't realize his rear tires were no longer in the gravel.

Alternatively, he was overwhelmed by the occasion (sort of like Grosjean throwing that smoke screen into turn 4 in Spain that 1 year).

I don't think it was deliberate. He had a shot at pole and would have wanted another lap.
A lion must kill its prey.

Big Tea

I am getting a little nervous if George not developing as I thought. He seems to have it all, but a few times now he has strayed, like his reaction to Botas after the crash.
No good being a genius physically if he can not handle it mentally as Lewis and Max do.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

chrisc90

Big Tea wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 17:31
I am getting a little nervous if George not developing as I thought. He seems to have it all, but a few times now he has strayed, like his reaction to Botas after the crash.
No good being a genius physically if he can not handle it mentally as Lewis and Max do.
He still has a long way to go in my opinion. Good driver, but a LOT to learn at the sharp end of the grid. The amount of times he's collided with someone in the race and his team radio is perfect evidence of that.

Hopefully as he goes on, he will become much more race-awareness.

Big Tea

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 17:34
Big Tea wrote:
He still has a long way to go in my opinion. Good driver, but a LOT to learn at the sharp end of the grid. The amount of times he's collided with someone in the race and his team radio is perfect evidence of that.

He is not exactly a new driver now though, he should have knocked the rough edges off while driving in the pack.
I know it is not the same when at the front, but he is making 'rookie' mistakes, in and out of the car.

In his defence, he had a rough landing this year compared to what he expected.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

Wowee
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

proteus

George took first pole, first sprint race and if the win is possible he definetly deserves it.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Shrieker

3-8 to 1-3(2nd on the grid) isn't bad at all, is it ? :)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

proteus

Big Tea wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 18:09
chrisc90 wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 17:34
Big Tea wrote:

He is not exactly a new driver now though, he should have knocked the rough edges off while driving in the pack.
I know it is not the same when at the front, but he is making 'rookie' mistakes, in and out of the car.

In his defence, he had a rough landing this year compared to what he expected.
Nothing different that we have seen from Lewis in the past. 09, 10,11,12 were the years where he was involved in many contacts as well. Then we also have Rosberg era where contacts were intentional. George is doing more than good enough this year. He is better than a 7 time champion teammate in standings. And even if Lewis gets ahead at the end it will be with minimal points advantage.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Lay off george. He did school the so called best driver today lol

Great job by the mercs. Just more proof that they should ve been more agressive in Mexico. The idea that the rb18 is impossible to overtake never held water to me. With a tire advantage and drs it is possible and it was proven today. Impossible to predict whats gonna happen tomorrow though. Not sure what happened to Max but they will likely be strong tomorrow. Maybe the medium tire is the one to avoid this weekend.
Normally not a fan of sprint races but this one was fun to watch.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

A 10 degree hotter track can and probably will make all the difference in the world. The RB is still the better car and if it’s in the window tomorrow, it will be gone. I just hope Mercedes plays it really hard tomorrow and take the driving seat of the strategy. Always feel better when maximising everything.

zibby43
zibby43

Hammerfist wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:43
Lay off george. He did school the so called best driver today lol

Great job by the mercs. Just more proof that they should ve been more agressive in Mexico. The idea that the rb18 is impossible to overtake never held water to me. With a tire advantage and drs it is possible and it was proven today. Impossible to predict whats gonna happen tomorrow though. Not sure what happened to Max but they will likely be strong tomorrow. Maybe the medium tire is the one to avoid this weekend.
Normally not a fan of sprint races but this one was fun to watch.
Some of the prior George comments aged like milk.

DGP123
DGP123

Think the George comments were warranted. Drove well today, and utilised the car advantage he had. Expecting a different story tomorrow though. Lewis and Max are different animals on Sundays , and Russell ballsed up his pole in Hungary.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lewis is quicker down the straights. It will be a decisive advantage tomorrow IF Mercedes lets them race. There's a lot of line and Merc would like to win, not throw it away in the barriers.
A lion must kill its prey.