2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Swed3121 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:29
At least hoping max can ensure that alpine don’t get P6
I honestly don't care about constructor's positions that do not reflect the true pace of the car. It was a similar deal back in 2020 with RacingPoint being the much better car, however they could not capitailze on it. Might as well get P5 with the extra wind tunnel time for next year.

I was actually rooting for Alonso to get Leclerc. He was flying out there. Considering the sh*tty pitstops he had, it's amazing he managed to finish P5, overtaking the RedBull on the end and keeping up with the Ferraris.

SilviuAgo

michl420 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:25
SilviuAgo wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:19
Great job from McLaren today...P5 is ours 🤬
First of all the race isn't over, and second oco and alo are together :twisted:
Now is over :))) P4 is done.
I think now biggest nightmare of Zak is not allowing Lando to get Monza win. He thought that win will make Ricci alive. Unfortunatelly Ricci period at McLaren was a disaster, specially this year.

So Carlos is a race winner..Russell is now a race winner...I only hope Lando win to come sooner than his frustration that MCL is a midfield car for more than 10 years now. 😠

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:45
Swed3121 wrote:
I honestly don't care about constructor's positions that do not reflect the true pace of the car. It was a similar deal back in 2020 with RacingPoint being the much better car, however they could not capitailze on it. Might as well get P5 with the extra wind tunnel time for next year.

I was actually rooting for Alonso to get Leclerc. He was flying out there. Considering the sh*tty pitstops he had, it's amazing he managed to finish P5, overtaking the RedBull on the end and keeping up with the Ferraris.
So with this backwards mentality… if Mercedes beat Ferrari to P2 they don’t deserve it because Ferrari have had the quicker car over the season?🤔
Just a fan's point of view

Mansell89
Mansell89

CjC wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:05
Mansell89 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 20:50
Let’s be fair to Alpine- they are often faster but have had poor reliability.

IMHO, 5th is what we deserve and frankly I want the additional wind tunnel time that brings because we need that opportunity to develop.

We saw a big difference with Mercedes works team and us down the straights- looks like the works team are slowly understanding their concept and the drag c downforce trade offs. Aston Martin too.

Hope James and the boys make a good step in the winter having had a season of new regs on their back.
I read similar comments like this last season.
‘Let’s loose our fight with Ferrari for P3 and have more x,y and z for finishing P4 so we have a better 2022 season’… but look how that turned out….
Surely we want to win the fight we are in??
Of course you do, but for me on pace we just aren’t quicker than Alpine and have hung in there on reliability alone.

I recognise that we have enormous steps to make, so the wind tunnel time would be valuable, especially in view of the new facilities coming on stream next year?

Ben1980
Ben1980

Now, I cant be arsed to check. But it feels that Lando has outqualified the Alpines more often then not. And, in general races have been pretty even.

Whoever comes 4th deserves it, but I don't think Alpine have been considerably quicker this season.

mwillems

People always look for the silver lining and try to say optimistically that this really was the best for them and that really the loss was a win.

I'm sure that most would want to take 4th but in the event that we do finish 5th, we do get a little more time in the tunnel and in CFD. But it would be silly to suggest that this is much more than a fringe upside. It will help a small amount.

That said, we have the drivers and the sponsors that we want, for now. So we can afford to not be 4th, but we have gone backwards a little in recent years and I think it is fair to suggest that we need to up our game and have a good season next year. If we finish 5th next year, for instance, then I think it might be hard to suggest that we are making progress, and more importantly hard for sponsors, partners and drivers to think that mclaren is making progress too.

Next season is very important for this project, let's hope it goes well.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

A race to forget, hope for more luck and better performance at the last race of the season.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 21:51
Emag wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:

So with this backwards mentality… if Mercedes beat Ferrari to P2 they don’t deserve it because Ferrari have had the quicker car over the season?🤔
Mercedes has been beating Ferrari on track quite often since after the summer break. And before that, Ferrari's incompetence and mistakes gifted Mercedes points which has made the battle much closer than it should have been.

It's not really comparable with McLaren and Alpine because Mercedes started the season awfully slow, but they have developed that car to the point where now, they are probably quicker than Ferrari.

In the case of McLaren and Alpine, on the races where none of the teams have had double dnfs, an (or both) Alpine(s) has finished ahead of both McLarens in 12 out of 19 occasions. Qualifying is a different story, but there's no point in qualifying ahead if you don't have the race pace to get the points.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Basically they've been very close most of the season. I don't think there is much between them. I also don't expect much difference next year.

I still think the big 3 will be out in front again.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:22
CjC wrote:
Emag wrote:

Mercedes has been beating Ferrari on track quite often since after the summer break. And before that, Ferrari's incompetence and mistakes gifted Mercedes points which has made the battle much closer than it should have been.

It's not really comparable with McLaren and Alpine because Mercedes started the season awfully slow, but they have developed that car to the point where now, they are probably quicker than Ferrari.

In the case of McLaren and Alpine, on the races where none of the teams have had double dnfs, an (or both) Alpine(s) has finished ahead of both McLarens in 12 out of 19 occasions. Qualifying is a different story, but there's no point in qualifying ahead if you don't have the race pace to get the points.
The big issue being Mclaren have had the car to score more points, alas they had a driver who couldn't score those points. 113 against 30 odd points shows a heck of a disparity.

10 extra points scoring finishes by Lando to Daniel. That's a lot of missed points.

blastdoman
blastdoman

It doesn't matter but to report you, Ricciardo has been penalized with three positions on the starting grid in Abu Dhabi.

Great job Daniel.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Emag wrote:

Ferrari has also stopped developing the 2022 car, not sure they've have had an update since SPA or something. They've been putting it all into 2023. I don't think they expected it to get this close.

diffuser

Ben1980 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:57
Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:

The big issue being Mclaren have had the car to score more points, alas they had a driver who couldn't score those points. 113 against 30 odd points shows a heck of a disparity.

10 extra points scoring finishes by Lando to Daniel. That's a lot of missed points.
Some years, everything goes your way, other years things don't. I guess you can wish for McLaren to have 2 Landos as drivers but it isn't what they have. I doudt Piastri will be anywhere close to Lando next year. If you're lucky, he will not have you wishing they had Danny back, people will have more patience with the kid. You can tell yourself that if McLaren had 2 Lando's they would have beat Alpine to 4th, sure Alpine fans are saying that they could be challenging the top three if they had more reliability.

The truth is McLaren have many issues with this year's car. I suspect the brakes are still an issue. Is it possible they're putting too much heat into thier tires? It would explain why they can really hook it up in quali but thier pace goes away in race trim(similliar to Ferrari).

diffuser

On another note, What's the difference between what happened between Russel and Sainz in COTA and Ricciardo and K-Mag in Brazil? Why such a difference in penailties? Why does Ricciardo get a 3 place grid penalty when he "technically" retired himself from the race. While Russel, who also took out the car he hit, just gets a 5 second stop and go penality and is allowed to finish 5th? Did the Stewards not watch the COTA race? This kind of shiit drives me crazy.

I think McLaren should challenge.

Seerix
Seerix

diffuser wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 16:51
On another note, What's the difference between what happened between Russel and Sainz in COTA and Ricciardo and K-Mag in Brazil? Why such a difference in penailties? Why does Ricciardo get a 3 place grid penalty when he "technically" retired himself from the race. While Russel, who also took out the car he hit, just gets a 5 second stop and go penality and is allowed to finish 5th? Did the Stewards not watch the COTA race? This kind of shiit drives me crazy.

I think McLaren should challenge.
Ric retired so he could not be punished in this race (by 5-10s penalty), therefore he gets 3 grid drop next GP. Standard stuff.