2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Slahinki
Slahinki

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 00:09
I always felt that Haug 'had his finger on the pulse' at Mclaren. Dont know his official job title, and I know he was Merc more than Mclaren, but when he said something it was always concise.
Don't know what happened to him? Did he move on/up with Merc?
Norbert Haug was VP Mercedes-Benz Motorsport. He's the one that had Mercedes do the F1 comeback in the '90s and he negotiated the works-deal with McLaren. He left McLaren with Mercedes for the 2010 season, and left his role at Mercedes at the end of 2012.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

littlebigcat wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 22:48
BBC Sounds have just released a 8 part documentary on Spygate

Strangely narrated by Pete Tong

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p0d ... are-mobile
Pete Tong of the Verve?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Ground Effect wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 12:24
littlebigcat wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 22:48
BBC Sounds have just released a 8 part documentary on Spygate

Strangely narrated by Pete Tong

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p0d ... are-mobile
Pete Tong of the Verve?
Sorry, that was Simon Tong... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 03:20
mwillems wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 21:24
diffuser wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 14:43

Like?
James Key said as much this season, stating that they considered many of the ideas that they saw on the grid, but chose to keep it simple to start. James actually said that this was a mistake they'd "chided" themselves with.

I'm not sure I'd say that it is the case every year or the team aren't capable of innovating though, I think that is a stretch.

"Beyond that, I think, to be honest, we've chided ourselves a little bit for not being as brave as we could've been.

"Some of the bodywork concepts we had were quite extreme, and actually not dissimilar to what we've begun to see on a few other cars, let's say.

"We figured not knowing these cars very well and committing to something which was extreme in the first year of rags, 'can we be confident we're going to get this right particularly after some of that caught on the back, and so on early on? Have we got time to absolutely be sure?' We ended up a little bit more conservative.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/89626 ... id-brexit/
Well Alpine were conservative to start. They didn't have models for the floor. Nobody was sure how that stuff was gonna play. I've said this before but the brakes set McLaren back 4 to 8 weeks at the beginning of the year. They had to throw away money on it and then they ran out of CAP before they caught up.
Yeah that too, they lost development spend and time for this year, one more decent sized upgrade down the drain.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Seems the car isn’t in a bad window even with the new floor. Who was running the new “skate” floor?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:36
Seems the car isn’t in a bad window even with the new floor. Who was running the new “skate” floor?
Lando was on the “old” floor in FP2, not sure about Daniel… Maybe just a test item used in FP1?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:47
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Lando was on the “old” floor in FP2, not sure about Daniel… Maybe just a test item used in FP1?
Ya I didn’t get the chance to read up on who got what between sessions. I was curious considering the FP2 times. Did Lando not do a fast lap?

Team stream suggests. New development floor for Pato in FP1. New development components for ‘23 on RICs car. But no mention if they were still on in FP2

diffuser

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
I would not be surprised to find out that that side floor exit with the high angled slope is causing some of thier drag.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

diffuser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:52
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
I would not be surprised to find out that that side floor exit with the high angled slope is causing some of thier drag.
I wouldn’t either. The car has no problem producing decent DF but its efficiency is leaving a lot to be desired.
Still no massive banana skins even with the “concept change” recently so fingers crossed the ‘23 direction is Crystal clear.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's a test floor for next year, it works but the car isn't really designed to run at the ride heights that floor is happy with, data gathering mainly, if you noticed they were playing with tweaking rear ride heights between runs to suit.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 18:11
It's a test floor for next year, it works but the car isn't really designed to run at the ride heights that floor is happy with, data gathering mainly, if you noticed they were playing with tweaking rear ride heights between runs to suit.
Are they allowed to run test pieces next week, or does the car need to be in an existing race spec?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

PhillipM wrote:
Are they looking at how much “loss” there is at different ride heights? Or is it more data correlation with CFD results?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Mainly for concept changes for next year, raised edges and see what they can gain back running a skate and more rear ride height + softer rear end a la Redbull.

Something they didn't originally think they needed but obviously with the tunnel changes it's sensible to follow the others lead there to match.

RonMexico
RonMexico

the EDGE wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 18:18
PhillipM wrote:
Are they allowed to run test pieces next week, or does the car need to be in an existing race spec?
They can only run the car in the state that it enters parc ferme.

Mercedes ran extra sensors on the car one year in qualifying and the race (2018 iirc) to gather extra data on new compounds being introduced at the test

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

PhillipM wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 18:19
Mainly for concept changes for next year, raised edges and see what they can gain back running a skate and more rear ride height + softer rear end a la Redbull.

Something they didn't originally think they needed but obviously with the tunnel changes it's sensible to follow the others lead there to match.
Gotcha. Thanks for the gen on that. Does a softer rear end make it more compliant over curbs? Seems the Macca has been fairly stiff whereas the RB can be run over curbs and doesn’t unsettle the aero platform too much