Cadillac racing in F1 with Andretti

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Cadillac racing in F1 with Andretti

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 23:43
GM has the impression that Cadillac can compete in the Luxery EV market in Europe. If they play it right, they could have a chance with American style and luxery, without the downside of a thirsty V8 and European CO2 tax inflating the price. But then, GM --- up, any European adventure they did eventually.
Cadillac would benefit from operating under a different name.

Lyriq should have been a new brand under which they launched electric models.

FromGP2toWDC

gshevlin wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 21:23
The $200m anti-dilution fee is baked into the current Concorde Agreement between LibertyF1 and the teams, and as such, Andretti has contract law on its side. The teams can make (and are making) a cogent argument that the fee should be higher because of the upward trend in team valuations since the agreement was signed, but right now, if Andretti agrees to pay the $200m, then they have fulfilled that condition.
Andretti has met the requirements. Yet here we are, these teams are still moving goalposts.

gshevlin
gshevlin

A main response of the teams initially when Andretti announced their plans was to state that Andretti's entry would not add sufficient value to F1 because there was no new OEM attached to the bid - they simply intended to use power units from Renault/Alpine.
So Andretti has responded by going away and revising their bid to include an OEM. Not just any OEM, a massive American OEM, which fits with the F1 strategy of expansion into the USA.
The response of the F1 teams has been to (a) move the goalposts, complaining that the OEM is not a "real OEM" because it is little more than a badging deal (ignoring the existence of current badging deals <COUGH!> Alfa Romeo <COUGH!>), and (b) leak complaints about Andretti "talking too much".
(a) is a bad-faith negotiation topic.
(b) is a complaint about style, not substance.

The teams are playing politics, and the FIA is right to call them out. I am looking to Domenicali to bang heads behind the scenes. I am not confident that he will do so.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Imagine complaining about badge jobs when Haas, Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri aren't even real, independent, constructors....One of them literally working out of Ferrari's basement. The other two sharing windtunnel and physical components with their parent team.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The F1 teams have no say in a new entry.

gshevlin
gshevlin

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 18:41
Imagine complaining about badge jobs when Haas, Aston Martin, Alpha Tauri aren't even real, independent, constructors....One of them literally working out of Ferrari's basement. The other two sharing windtunnel and physical components with their parent team.
They could be totally independent constructors, but for cost and convenience reasons they buy the entire powertrain from their power unit supplier, and buy certain other Listed Parts from third parties. Williams also uses the entire Mercedes power train AFAIK.

JordanMugen

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 00:43
NL_Fer wrote:
GM has the impression that Cadillac can compete in the Luxery EV market in Europe. If they play it right, they could have a chance with American style and luxery, without the downside of a thirsty V8 and European CO2 tax inflating the price. But then, GM --- up, any European adventure they did eventually.
I really don't think the name was the problem with SAAB, Opel, Vauxhall or Chevrolet TBH!

More like General Motor's quality or lack thereof on their turbochargers, engines, M32 gearboxes and all those things...

I feel that many motorists had the impression that Corsas, Astras, Vectras, Cruzes, Captivas etc (these cars all have a terrible reputation here in Australia when compared to mainstream Japanese cars) never had the finest in metallurgy, design or quality control, and yet GM scalded SAAB for excessive engineer-led redesigns!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 22:14
AR3-GP wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 00:43
NL_Fer wrote:
I really don't think the name was the problem with SAAB, Opel, Vauxhall or Chevrolet TBH!

More like General Motor's quality or lack thereof on their turbochargers, engines, M32 gearboxes and all those things...

I feel that many motorists had the impression that Corsas, Astras, Vectras, Cruzes, Captivas etc (these cars all have a terrible reputation here in Australia when compared to mainstream Japanese cars) never had the finest in metallurgy, design or quality control, and yet GM scalded SAAB for excessive engineer-led redesigns!
SAAB, Open, Vauxhall, and Chevy are different considerations entirely.

The Cadillac brand is steeped in the stereotype of an unsporting old people car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Does anyone find it ironic how easy it was for Mclaren to go race Indycars? And now an Indycar franchise wants to come to F1, and now even Mclaren are against it? It's not right.

Rodak
Rodak

What license do Indycar drivers race under and how does one qualify? Is it a license from an FIA affiliated body? I used to race F2000 in SCCA with an SCCA National license, so I'm guessing Indycar has their own sanctioning/licensing body.

RonMexico
RonMexico

F1 has always been a snakepit with fluid alliances depending on who could benefit or be kneecapped at any given time.

What's a ticket to the table actually worth currently?

Sauber sold 80% at a valuation in or around $600m last year

Williams claim to be worth $1b

I don't think Andretti has even formally applied yet. The approach seems off to me for some reason

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RonMexico wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 04:36
F1 has always been a snakepit with fluid alliances depending on who could benefit or be kneecapped at any given time.

I don't think Andretti has even formally applied yet. The approach seems off to me for some reason
If do nothing all season, no team principal, Williams is worth 1B, imagine the value of RB, Mercedes, Ferrari :shock:

ArWo
ArWo

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 04:55
RonMexico wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 04:36

If do nothing all season, no team principal, Williams is worth 1B, imagine the value of RB, Mercedes, Ferrari :shock:
Actually an interesting prespective. The cost cap is what has made revenue possible for the top teams. This has blown up their valuation to an absurd amount. This means the cost cap is now worth billions for the owners of these teams, even more incentive to not cheat and kill it...

bosyber
bosyber

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Jan 2023, 00:39
Does anyone find it ironic how easy it was for Mclaren to go race Indycars? And now an Indycar franchise wants to come to F1, and now even Mclaren are against it? It's not right.
Isn't Zac Brown one of the people in the paddock actually on Andretti's side? (that McL Indy entry was using Andretti Racing stuff and the two know each other well, I guess from Brown's motorsport marketing background)

gshevlin
gshevlin

The team owners can claim that their business entities are worth $1bn or whatever, but a business is worth what somebody will pay for it, not what they claim it is worth.
I would not personally value Williams at anywhere close to $1bn. The team clearly has culture and change management issues. The complaints leaked about Jost Capito after he left tell me that he was running into resistance within the team to new ways of working. James Vowles is going to have his work cut out to change the culture and processes for the better.
When Capito left, the TD left with him, so Williams lost not only its team principal but also its TD. They have continuity challenges. Every time you look at sports businesses, the one fact that links many of the most successful businesses is continuity at senior leadership level. When Ferrari had the same senior leadership brains trust for 10+ years they won championships year after year. Once those people left or retired, Ferrari went back to the familiar "3 years then fired" leadership approach, and they have won no championships since.