McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: McLaren MCL37 speculation thread

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 19:49
Blackout wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 19:09
Then what's that cylindrical device spotted by Scarbs :?: :P
It looks like those next gen intercoolers of 'Reaction engines'
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnV696AWIAU ... =4096x4096
Aren’t those “reaction” ones the ones that Merc uses to enable “zero pod”?
Yes.
But IMO the main reason Merc has those zero-pods, is the more aggressive packaging, i.e how they pushed the radiators into the sides of the monocoque, inside those huge undercuts...
And then this new intercooler probably needs less water cooling and helped them make the whole cooling system a bit smaller..
mwillems wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 22:37
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 19:49
Blackout wrote:
28 Jan 2023, 19:09
Then what's that cylindrical device spotted by Scarbs :?: :P
It looks like those next gen intercoolers of 'Reaction engines'
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnV696AWIAU ... =4096x4096
Aren’t those “reaction” ones the ones that Merc uses to enable “zero pod”?
Is this for real or a misunderstanding?

The Reaction engines I know has the precoolers that cool air from insane temperatures down to negative temps and a split second. Is this tech being utilised in F1??

I know the precooler tech is supposed to be very light so it makes sense if it is affordable. Feels like it might cost a small fortune to buy that tech given how cutting edge it is.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... 7d7d61cd9a
"In its rocket application, the cooling tubes are filled with helium as a coolant – it would be surprising if Mercedes was using this approach – but the company has also developed units for turbocharged engines that use water-based coolant."

PhillipM
PhillipM

Okay slight insider update #2 now the cat is out of the bag on the intercoolers a little I got him to talk a bit more :lol: - sidepods are said to be thinner at the midpoint with a little more bulk in the midline (guess they're shifting the coolers up close to the engine to reduce the charge pipe lengths) - no major change to the sidepod philosophy rather just tightening/slimming and refinement of the previous incarnation.
Front wing reworked to slightly more outwash (guess similar to merc but that's just my own speculation) - which they're hoping mitigates a little of the understeer with steering lock on.
Floor is basically last years final design but now the expansion starts further forwards due to revised packaging - I don't know if that means they've shifted things around the lower front crash structure or just that they've gone more aggressive now the floor is designed for more mass flow than the original concept. Who I was speaking to didn't know the reasoning just had seen the changes in the moulds.

It pretty much sounds like they've just done some heavy refinement from last year after they finally got a concept they were happy with, rather than revolution.

Interestingly, it was mentioned that with the floor changes this year, they're all expecting less oscillation, so you can go more aggressive with ride heights - he specifically mentioned more that they were expecting RB to benefit rather than lose out as was speculated at the end of last year, because they often ran the outer edges of the floor on the ground, which is what Mcl are going to try this year with skates.

edit: I will say, this is all from a single source. So take it with a pinch of salt 'till I can confirm it from another.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Oh and another one - I know some media or on here have mentioned some sort of thinner/shorter gearbox - it's not the case, the outer casing has been changed only to refine pickup points slightly for the suspension, there's very little difference.

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 12:38
Okay slight insider update #2 now the cat is out of the bag on the intercoolers a little I got him to talk a bit more :lol: - sidepods are said to be thinner at the midpoint with a little more bulk in the midline (guess they're shifting the coolers up close to the engine to reduce the charge pipe lengths) - no major change to the sidepod philosophy rather just tightening/slimming and refinement of the previous incarnation.
Front wing reworked to slightly more outwash (guess similar to merc but that's just my own speculation) - which they're hoping mitigates a little of the understeer with steering lock on.
Floor is basically last years final design but now the expansion starts further forwards due to revised packaging - I don't know if that means they've shifted things around the lower front crash structure or just that they've gone more aggressive now the floor is designed for more mass flow than the original concept. Who I was speaking to didn't know the reasoning just had seen the changes in the moulds.

It pretty much sounds like they've just done some heavy refinement from last year after they finally got a concept they were happy with, rather than revolution.

Interestingly, it was mentioned that with the floor changes this year, they're all expecting less oscillation, so you can go more aggressive with ride heights - he specifically mentioned more that they were expecting RB to benefit rather than lose out as was speculated at the end of last year, because they often ran the outer edges of the floor on the ground, which is what Mcl are going to try this year with skates.

edit: I will say, this is all from a single source. So take it with a pinch of salt 'till I can confirm it from another.
Understeer was probably the single biggest weakness of the car last season. I am not sure if it was so bad on low speed corners though, because they generally did pretty well on those types of tracks like Monaco, so you would be inclined to think the understeer was worse on medium-high speed corners, which means it was mostly aero related rather than mechanical.

It's probably "good" news since mechanically I would say the last couple of McLarens have not been very good on slow speed rotation. Aero updates are probably an "easier" fix compared to a conceptual change in weight distribution or suspension setup.

I hope they find the aero gains they were missing on last year's car. Just judging the car by performances in slower tracks, it honestly feels like the base platform is not bad. The top 3 cars had a much more refined evolution of their concept though, and that's testament to their abilities as top teams. Some areas seemed bland, even visually on the McLaren, although performance recency bias is probably a little at play there.

You could attribute that immaturity of the aero platform to the outdated infrastructure, but the team admitted that the development of last year's car was handicapped by multiple other reasons as well, and some of the more bold ideas they had last year were not even tested.

I am hoping they take some more risks on this car to try and gain a bit more on the top 3 compared to the nearest rivals.

_cerber1

From the looks of it, we will see a chassis that differs slightly from its predecessor, and I'm afraid the results will be the same in practice. I expected big changes, especially since Red Bull used the same suspension as McLaren. Their chassis was flawless throughout the season.

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 13:55
From the looks of it, we will see a chassis that differs slightly from its predecessor, and I'm afraid the results will be the same in practice. I expected big changes, especially since Red Bull used the same suspension as McLaren. Their chassis was flawless throughout the season.
As an aero platform, McLaren shifted towards a very similar concept to that of RedBull nearing the end of the season.

I think your expectation of big chassis changes contradicts your wish for them to follow RedBull conceptually.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Seems like a solid and logical upgrade path. Thanks PhilipM. Appreciate you taking the time.

Also think that actual suspension performance in the low speed has worked reasonably well. All I would say is that the RB18 was MUCH more compliant running over curbs. The aero platform seemed extremely stable when being challenged.
The Mcl36 seemed particularly stiff (akin to the Merc) and it lost a lot of speed in those sections that require curb riding.

Now very curious on what shape the the side pod is taking. But as we’ve seen, the underside of the car determines the vast majority of the performance. More mass flow is encouraging but I don’t expect any team to stand still

PhillipM
PhillipM

No, I did ask about other teams but this year more than most nobody seems to know where anybody is - they're all expecting everyone to close up and little advantages to make a lot of difference - everyone is a little worried someone might have spotted something they didn't with the floor changes.

Mansell89
Mansell89

PhillipM wrote:

Thanks very much PhillipM- interesting stuff!

Looks as if it’s more about maturing and maximising the direction from mid season last year.

Is there any acknowledgment or confirmation of a drag problem last year causing straight line speed issues? (And any indication it is remedied?)

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think he'd have much idea they're mainly production side, I won't see the other guys for a week or so

McL-H
McL-H

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 16:12
No, I did ask about other teams but this year more than most nobody seems to know where anybody is - they're all expecting everyone to close up and little advantages to make a lot of difference - everyone is a little worried someone might have spotted something they didn't with the floor changes.
So from that we can take that if any hole in the new floor regulations is there, at least McLaren didn’t spot it. Let’s hope there is none 🤞🏻

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 16:05
Seems like a solid and logical upgrade path. Thanks PhilipM. Appreciate you taking the time.

Also think that actual suspension performance in the low speed has worked reasonably well. All I would say is that the RB18 was MUCH more compliant running over curbs. The aero platform seemed extremely stable when being challenged.
The Mcl36 seemed particularly stiff (akin to the Merc) and it lost a lot of speed in those sections that require curb riding.
That was my impression too. RB the most compliant, Ferrari next (though not as beautiful as they were in the previous regs), Merc stiff as a board (and McLaren maybe a little better than Merc?)

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Emag wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 13:24
Understeer was probably the single biggest weakness of the car last season. I am not sure if it was so bad on low speed corners though, because they generally did pretty well on those types of tracks like Monaco, so you would be inclined to think the understeer was worse on medium-high speed corners, which means it was mostly aero related rather than mechanical.
Yeah, also drag down the straights (my memory of last season is a little hazy now though). Hopefully the changes will have some positive effect there too.

trinidefender
trinidefender

PhillipM wrote:

"thinner at the midpoint with a little more bulk in the midline"

Sorry I'm a bit confused by this statement as it's coming across as slightly contradictory. Any chance you can explain what you mean?

Venturiation
Venturiation

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 16:12
Thank you , i love this kind of inside info