Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Mercedes W14

chrstphrln wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:00
Toto says yes, the sidepods are the first iteration and it is already planned to have revised them after a few races.
For me, that means that it was noticed too late that the revised concept simply doesn't have the potential that Mercedes had hoped for for a long time.
Even if Toto downplays the influence of the sidepods, the interview sounds very much like a farewell to their current sidepod concept.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... n-23021511
I think others than mercedes will have revisions on their sidepods when we start testing or racing, doesn't mean the zeropods will be completely gone, just different in some areas

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

Henk_v
Henk_v

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 19:50
edgelo wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 19:39
To my knowledge makes more sense the rear end cannon in the case of the AMR23 (and Alfa and almost all the rest but Ferrari) because they want to push the flow to the ramps and direct it over the diffuser and the beam wing.

But in the case of W14 I would expect them to leave the stream go free over the cover engine down. I don’t get where they mainly intend to bring the air to feed the diffuser in an orderly manner.

Am I entirely wrong?
All teams bar Ferrari and Haas chose more centerline cooling, so it makes sense they need taller engine covers. While they are there, they simply extend the bodywork and make the wide outlet in a low pressure zone under the rear wing. It's not a bad design at all in that regard, I just prefer what Ferrari and Haas do. In my view, maximising rear wing performance is key to keep the drag down.
You are confusing centerline cooling and cannon exits. They are not the same.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

If the W13 was "zero pods", I would call the W14 "slim pods"

Last edited by AR3-GP on 15 Feb 2023, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

Stu

Henri wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 14:07
Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 13:57
about rear suspension, don't know if it's true

Mayb the w12 suspension trick is back
It cannot be, hydraulically linked suspension is specifically banned.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 14:09
Henri wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

redbull had it in 2022 so if merc manages to get it it's good
As the W12 hydraulically linked suspension is specifically banned under the current regulations I would make two points

1) RedBull did not have it in 2022 (a purely mechanical system)
2) As it is banned, if Mercedes/AMG do bring it they will be DSQ’d.

Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:25

https://i.postimg.cc/WzSqdQ6W/image.png
https://i.postimg.cc/xTtL8b6f/image.png
I know those are renders and likely to be very different to the launch or race spec cars, but its interesting to note the floor in the centre thats cut away compared to the last years floor

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:32
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:25

https://i.postimg.cc/WzSqdQ6W/image.png
https://i.postimg.cc/xTtL8b6f/image.png
I know those are renders and likely to be very different to the launch or race spec cars, but its interesting to note the floor in the centre thats cut away compared to the last years floor
I would completely disregard the floor treatment. The fake floors on most of the car renders are just outdated or abandoned aero schemes. The engineering group has to give some morsels to marketing, but not too much.

zibby43
zibby43

chrstphrln wrote:
Toto says yes, the sidepods are the first iteration and it is already planned to have revised them after a few races.
For me, that means that it was noticed too late that the revised concept simply doesn't have the potential that Mercedes had hoped for for a long time.
Even if Toto downplays the influence of the sidepods, the interview sounds very much like a farewell to their current sidepod concept.

there seems to be a massive disconnect between forum members here and team personnel in terms of linking side pod inlet design with significant performance implications, generally.

The latter believe it’s trivial. Here, it’s focused on more than critical areas such as the FW, floor, underfloor, diffuser, etc.

I find that interesting.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

zibby43 wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 21:05
chrstphrln wrote:

there seems to be a massive disconnect between forum members here and team personnel in terms of linking side pod inlet design with significant performance implications, generally.

The latter believe it’s trivial. Here, it’s focused on more than critical areas such as the FW, floor, underfloor, diffuser, etc.

I find that interesting.
Why are they revising it if it's trivial and/or otherwise un-noteworthy. Of course it's important.

This would be the 4th iteration of the Mercedes sidepod that we will see after the revisions

W13 A-spec
W13 B-spec
W14 Launch Spec
W14 revisions.

Why does this supposedly "trivial" part keep getting revised? There have now been more sidepods than front wings...Why are they wasting development resource on this trivial, inconsequential side pod?

Anyone downplaying the sidepods only needs to look at the development of the Mercedes sidepod. Why are they fussing with it, if doesn't matter? :?

Have you looked at the upgrades on many of the other cars in the last year? Sidepods seem quite important. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Of course they are going to downplay it because being wrong embarrasses them. Everyone keeps trying to pretend Mercedes "didn't get it wrong", despite them having nothing to suggest they got anything right last year.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 15 Feb 2023, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

I'm expecting the rear wing to change for Bahrain, the wing they ran today looks like they're max down force at all costs spec they had last year, which was supposed to be a bandaid for their missing floor performance.
Its hella chunky compared to say the Ferrari wing

Andi76
Andi76

Stu wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 20:27
Henri wrote:
Venturiation wrote:

It cannot be, hydraulically linked suspension is specifically banned.
In Germany Andreas Schmidt reported that the W14 uses Red Bulls Trick from last year to lower the rear at high speeds. We all remember Red Bulls superior Topspeed in 2022. Andreas Schmidt from AMuS says that was because Red Bull used a trick to lower their rear at high speeds. Probably a collapsing rear suspension, something Newey started to use at McLaren in 1998 already. The word is that Mercedes found out how to it and copied it.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 21:06
zibby43 wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:

I find that interesting.
Why are they revising it if it's trivial and/or otherwise un-noteworthy. Of course it's important.

This would be the 4th iteration of the Mercedes sidepod that we will see after the revisions

W13 A-spec
W13 B-spec
W14 Launch Spec
W14 revisions.

Why does this supposedly "trivial" part keep getting revised? There have now been more sidepods than front wings...Why are they wasting development resource on this trivial, inconsequential side pod?

Anyone downplaying the sidepods only needs to look at the development of the Mercedes sidepod. Why are they fussing with it, if doesn't matter? :?

Have you looked at the upgrades on many of the other cars in the last year? Sidepods seem quite important. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Of course they are going to downplay it because being wrong embarrasses them. Everyone keeps trying to pretend Mercedes "didn't get it wrong", despite them having nothing to suggest they got anything right last year.
Refinement is not the same as concept. I expect every single piece of bodywork on the car to be updated at some point in the season.

A sidepod does not have the pitch and yaw sensitivity, nor the structural considerations of a front wing.

zioture
zioture

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

NoDivergence wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 21:18
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 21:06
zibby43 wrote:

I find that interesting.

W13 A-spec
W13 B-spec
W14 Launch Spec
W14 revisions.

Refinement is not the same as concept. I expect every single piece of bodywork on the car to be updated at some point in the season.

A sidepod does not have the pitch and yaw sensitivity, nor the structural considerations of a front wing.

I don’t know what question you are answering.

Whether you want to call it a change or call it a "refinement". It's all the same because this supposedly "trivial" and "inconsequential" feature of the car will now have seen 4 different iterations in the span of 1 year which cost considerable time for aerodynamicist and the WindTunnel.

but it's not important :?

Sometimes you need to go with what the eyes are showing you, not what the mouths are saying. You don't waste budget changing things that don't matter in a budget cap era.