Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: Mercedes W14

Poor quality, but one of the first pictures of the W14 from behind, you can easily see the ridge created atop the center line and going into the cannon exit… Also, the cooling exits located there:

W13 for comparison:

pursue_one's

Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 22:30
From AMUS

Of course, auto motor und sport also asked Russell the crucial question as to whether the old bouncing problems reappeared on the first run. Surprisingly, the pilot didn't want to go into detail about that. With the words: "We'll see about that in the next week," he dodged the question briefly and succinctly. Great confidence sounds different.

It was also somewhat surprising that Mercedes only published two driving pictures of the route (see gallery). And both show the new car from the front. Otherwise there were only a handful of photos from the presentation and a few computer renderings that were not very detailed. It almost seems as if Mercedes doesn't want to reveal all the cards yet.
Its just a demonstration day.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Floor tunnel entrance area volume under carnlooks much increased, and throat further back.

Sevach
Sevach

That is very peculiar.

ringo

Very different front suspension geometry compared to W13. Note the lower arm. Possibly to allow the rear to squat at a softer rate than the front?
I am hopeful that with better understanding from last year, the suspension dynamics complement the aerodynamics.
For Sure!!

ringo

Sevach wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 23:24
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpBPyvUWIAE ... me=900x900

That is very peculiar.
Indeed. They have a water slide in the penthouse, dumping right over the beam wing. :lol:
But very novel idea.
For Sure!!

De Jokke

pursue_one's wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 23:07
Venturiation wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 22:30
From AMUS

Of course, auto motor und sport also asked Russell the crucial question as to whether the old bouncing problems reappeared on the first run. Surprisingly, the pilot didn't want to go into detail about that. With the words: "We'll see about that in the next week," he dodged the question briefly and succinctly. Great confidence sounds different.

It was also somewhat surprising that Mercedes only published two driving pictures of the route (see gallery). And both show the new car from the front. Otherwise there were only a handful of photos from the presentation and a few computer renderings that were not very detailed. It almost seems as if Mercedes doesn't want to reveal all the cards yet.
Its just a demonstration day.
That explains the lack of photos, as I read they completed the 100km's.
Anyway: worrying start for merc: Russel's comments, Wolff talking about and downplaying changing the sidepods already and engine troubles on a filming day. Why can't they just abandon these stupid zeropods, they caused nothing but issues for the team and yet they keep saying it's not that important in terms of performance, yeah right...
Last edited by De Jokke on 15 Feb 2023, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

De Jokke

Sevach wrote:

That is very peculiar.
Another ugly merc #-o , reminds me of the '96 Ferrari.
But Wolff already told it looked like the W13, so no surprise there.
Atleast change the dull nose, please [-o<

I wonder if Petronas will get a slap on the wrists by leaking the car early?
Last edited by De Jokke on 15 Feb 2023, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

De Jokke wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 23:54
Sevach wrote:

That is very peculiar.
Another ugly merc #-o , reminds me of the '96 Ferrari.
But Wolff already told it looked like the W13, so no surprise there.
Atleast change the dull nose, please [-o<
The vertical inlet is a cleaner interpretation of the legality regulation than the W13 melted ice cream pod. I don't have a problem with it. They wouldn't have changed to it unless it increased performance.

ringo

going out on a limb here, but this car may be faster in a straight line. I am not to concerned about the sidepods, as at least now they are easier to convert to the other designs relative to last year. I would love to see how the radiators look.
For Sure!!

De Jokke

Merc expecting to be behind at the start of the season

matteosc
matteosc

The first two pictures are not exactly the same scale, but they show an interesting comparison. Definitely more "full" in the middle of the car. To me it looks like there are cars which focus on bringing air to the diffuser (a) from above the sidepodes (Red Bull style), (b) from below the sidepodes (Ferrari) and (c) from the side of the sidepods (Mercedes). Obviously it is not as simple as that, but that make sense to me. Sidepodes and inlet shapes depends on which concept is preferred.
So Red Bull (a) uses sloping down sidepodes, with an inlet that encourages the air to "spill" on top of the sidepodes, Ferrari (b) uses a more aggressive outwash from the front of the sidepodes, coupled with a deep undercut (at least this year) and inlets that encourage the air to spill somehow sideways, and Mercedes (c) uses narrow sidepodes, with vertical inlets which maximize the flow outside the sidepodes.

Venturiation
Venturiation

De Jokke wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 00:22

it can be even more extreme zero pods

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

De Jokke wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 00:22

That’s not exactly what was said

Venturiation
Venturiation

Sevach wrote:

That is very peculiar.
so this is feeding directly the beam wing?