2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1isgood
f1isgood

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 23:07
https://www.krone.at/2936930

Couple of quotes:
There are also quite positive signals from the still engine partner Honda ...
There is an increase in power that we can release without it harming reliability.
Nothing revolutionary?
No. Evolution of the RB18, not revolution. But we also studied with the "Weight Watchers" and reduced the weight.
Because of the budget overrun, Red Bull has had wind tunnel time cut. Do you have to go into Thursday's tests in Bahrain with a queasy feeling?
We knew that our work had to sit in the wind tunnel, there was no room for experimentation. In 2022 we had the best car - if this one, which was finished in time, works, which I am convinced it will, the queasy feeling is rather modest.
we want to defend both titles. But I don't expect a season as dominant as 2022.
Makes sense, I guess. The 5 pixel images told that the car was going to look similar anyways.

Curious to see if RB can find sufficient floor downforce to compensate for the new rules. Other teams seem confident and proud of what they had achieved.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 22:52
saviour stivala wrote:
22 Feb 2023, 07:59
''MGU-H deployment is not limitted''. While MGU-H is not limitted, The ammount of power that can be released by the MGU-K is limitted by the technical regukulations to 4 MJ per lap.
For my memory, the Honda MGUK specifically was sited as an advantage starting in 2022, and it was described as very "robust." So make of that what you will!

I interpret it to mean it has smarter modes and can be run much harder over wider ranges.
The Honda MGU-K might have an advantage (being robust) on the other three makes on the grid, with smarter modes and what not. But its maximum permitted contribution to the crankshaft per lap will still apply.

organic

Checo "We had some problems this morning with some aero sensors that didn't read well. The circuit is very bumpy and we all have problems with the balance of the car. It's too early to know where we are. I really want to get on tomorrow"

organic

Safe to say pre-season test has gone smoothly so far

I remain unconvinced this is the race-ready specification:

The upper half of the sidepod remains completely unchanged to 2022 - it looks like they have modified a 2022 component in the lower half. Maybe this is part of optimization within budget cap.

The sidepod inlet scoop is identical to the launch spec 2022, as is the wing mirror mount

The wing mirror itself is the big giveaway. The mirror they are using here is the large mirror that the fia forced everyone to test with at Zandvoort last year.

I think they will be strapping a couple of new parts to the car before it races, especially with how Marko has been saying the car has been ready way ahead of schedule

organic

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/38472555 ... rukwekkend
Red Bull CEO Helmut Marko very optimistic after first day of testing: 'This is very impressive'
Marko saw that Max Verstappen drove no less than 157 laps in Bahrain and did not experience any significant problems. “Everything worked right away. For now we are very happy. I think we are in better shape at the moment than last year around the same time," said Marko, who at the same time expects more opposition from Ferrari and Mercedes.
“These are our competitors. It will be closer together this year. They both still have their problems, but with their experience I expect them to solve that. I am surprised that the Ferrari car is still bouncing like that, we did not expect that. And the Mercedes still looks a bit restless. Anyway: it is only the first day of testing.”

Marko could only be satisfied with the way Verstappen immediately manifested himself. “Max is still getting better. He is fast and also takes good care of the tyres. We have changed relatively little from last year's car. It looks good for us.”

"This is what you want during the test days," says a satisfied Verstappen after a long day. “We had no problems and were able to drive a lot. These cars are indeed an evolution compared to last year. Then it was more about adapting to the completely new cars. Now we have much more knowledge and it is an easier start for everyone. It is nice to see the new car and how it has been further developed. It behaves slightly differently and the tires are also new this year.”
It all sounds positive

Wouter

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Looking forward to when they start to wind it up possibly tomorrow or Saturday. Then see the true potential of it.

1:30.681 was Max's quali lap last year. We on 1:32.837 now which is about where they were in FP3 last year. 1:31.936 on FP2 session.

I know its not really representative, but even at this early stage in testing a lot of the top speeds were very close in a lot of areas on track. The start finish line was 1-2kmh faster in 2022 quali compared to today, and through sector 3 identical a lot of the way along that straight.

Must be promising at this moment in time given engine modes for testing, additional sensors etc.

Wouter

Gianpiero Lambiase, head of race engineering Oracle Red Bull Racing, said: “Today was a promising start to the 2023 season as we were able to complete the planned program without reliability concerns. Everyone's hard work over the winter has really paid off as the car hit the ground running in terms of balance, and we were able to concentrate on testing various broader aerodynamic and mechanical configurations to better understand the new platform as well as the subtly modified tyre construction.”

There are two days of testing in Sakhir remaining. Lambiase continues: “We will continue to focus on ourselves and ensure we are as prepared for the first race as we can be by following a similar method over the next two days. There’s plenty of data analysis to do this evening, and then we look forward to Checo experiencing his first taste of the RB19 on Friday. For Max, he has just four hours remaining before his season kicks off, so he needs to recover well overnight.”
The Power of Dreams!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A more skeptical viewer might point to Ferrari 2019 pre-season, but the big difference here is RB had a formidable package last year, which has only been refined for this season.

Many of the traits like the straight line speed are still evident. I don’t know what fuel loads Verstappen was on but he did several 12-14 lap stints with ominous consistency which shows the RB19 will once again be a formidable car on Sunday. 1 lap pace remains to be seen.
A lion must kill its prey.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Wouter wrote:
23 Feb 2023, 20:58

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Easy to get dialed in when running a tweaked version of the fully developed RB18. Everyone else is starting over on set-up, Red Bull can copy-paste.

Main question is how Red Bull looks when the other teams get up to speed. Developing the same chassis over multiple seasons has been quite successful for some teams in the past especially with limited budgets, however the newer concepts might have more development potential.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Raleigh wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 02:25
Wouter wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Easy to get dialed in when running a tweaked version of the fully developed RB18. Everyone else is starting over on set-up, Red Bull can copy-paste.

Main question is how Red Bull looks when the other teams get up to speed. Developing the same chassis over multiple seasons has been quite successful for some teams in the past especially with limited budgets, however the newer concepts might have more development potential.
The upgrade to the RB19 very much reminds me of the original Mercedes from 2014/2015. They just continued to refine something that worked.

deadhead

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 03:06
Raleigh wrote:
Wouter wrote:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

The upgrade to the RB19 very much reminds me of the original Mercedes from 2014/2015. They just continued to refine something that worked.
Or the F200x Ferraris

Once you have the winning formula, there is no reason to not keep developing it, but this what Mercedes and Ferrari have done as well, no? Maybe not as much as the RB, but more or less..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

deadhead wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 05:27
AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 03:06
Raleigh wrote:

Or the F200x Ferraris

Once you have the winning formula, there is no reason to not keep developing it, but this what Mercedes and Ferrari have done as well, no? Maybe not as much as the RB, but more or less..
Mercedes and Ferrari had much larger weaknesses thus the changes for 2023 are more visual on those cars. Both have notably different sidepod shape, compared to how much RB's sidepod shape changed.

ME4ME

Formula 1 is great in the way that you can have the best pre-season ever, but ultimately next saturday and sunday the stopwatch will tell..

There are no prizes for the most reliable third fastest car. Best to stay cautious.

JordanMugen

Raleigh wrote:
As I said before, it has typically been the Newey way to refine an existing concept.

Be it the FW14 becoming the FW14B becoming the FW15C ... FW18 etc. The MP4/13 becoming the MP4/14, MP4/15 and so on (let's forget the disastrous mostly-new or all-new MP4/17!). The Red Bull RB3 becoming the refined and revised Red Bull RB4, then under the new regulations the all-new RB5 evolving into the RB6, 7, 8, 9.

deadhead wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 05:27
Or the F200x Ferraris

Barnard claims credit for the F310 laying the foundation for all those cars! :lol: The F310B definitely adopted the basic style that led into the '98, '99, '00 cars and so on. As we recall, the F2001 was but the F1-2000 with a droopy nose added after all. :)