2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:13
etusch wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:01
Are they think that Redbull's speed comes from driver seat?🤣
Speaking of, does anyone have the top speed chart for today?
Max 322
Sainz 326
Ham 320
Oco 322
Zho 318
Tsu 319
Alo 323
Nor 321
Sar 324
Mag 324

PhillipM
PhillipM

chrisc90 wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:53
Care to share with us?
Steering brakes, Mclaren's F-duct, 2 stage/paddle clutch releases, etc.
I shouldn't really need to list things on a technical forum when people are poking fun without thinking about it for 2 seconds first.
Last edited by PhillipM on 24 Feb 2023, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

Cassius
Cassius

Max was 2s faster than Hamilton so probably had much less fuel and is only 2km faster?

RB was in lower engine modes compared to all others and/or everyone else have closed much of the drag gap with RB.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wonder what RB have cooking in terms of upgrades. The RB19 was the first car to do a shakedown. They are ahead of schedule.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 00:38
I wonder what RB have cooking in terms of upgrades. The RB19 was the first car to do a shakedown. They are ahead of schedule.
I think if you look at what they've carried over from 2022 you can immediately see: Sidepod inlet scoop, mirror support/turning vane, mirror strut, upper half of the sidepods. These are things that they will probably look to change in the short term. It's also all in the same region of the car so it will likely all change at once. Maybe race 1? Maybe Baku?

And the mirror design they're running so far is extremely basic - I expect this to change along with the items they have carried over

I'd guess that they will have a new floor for Baku like last year. Maybe some floor edge details change before then

organic

Seems Checo doesn't like the new boots the team is sponsored by. He keeps his trusty pumas

organic

Charles Leclerc: "Red Bull seems very strong." Everyone in the paddock in Bahrain actually has that feeling.

Max Verstappen himself is also positive. ⬇️
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/42042600 ... -heel-goed

Translated with DeepL:
Max Verstappen very happy: 'Car feels very good'

Max Verstappen is working towards next week's Bahrain Grand Prix with great confidence. The reigning world champion looks back on his test sessions in the desert with a good feeling.

Verstappen was in action throughout Thursday and also drove the RB19 on Friday afternoon. "We had very positive test days," he said. "The car worked and felt very good. We tried out the necessary things. I enjoyed driving the car."

Red Bull is already being bombarded by friend and foe alike as a top favourite. "The car does differ slightly compared to last year, so it also drives slightly differently. That also has to do with the new tyres," Verstappen said in Bahrain, where he has yet to win a race as a Formula 1 driver. "Overall, the car has definitely improved compared to last year. Then the overweight at the beginning was the biggest problem. We learned a lot and hopefully we can start right away next week."

kediown

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10436414/
Mostly the same things mentioned in the article "We're happy, everything's positive so far, car feels good" etc.
This part drew my attention though.
"And this year, just a continuation, but also things that we found and put on the car that were clearly better. And yeah, we already have things in the pipeline coming, and just work in progress. But we know what our limitations are. And we work around this."
Very likely upgrades will be there in next week, as many thinks in the technical thread, the mirrors must be one of the things that will change right at the start

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I wonder what the explanation for all of the flow viz is.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:58
I wonder what the explanation for all of the flow viz is.
Is it a balance of CFD and wind tunnel time in terms of say 50-50 for example, or can teams allocate their allowance to say 70% CFD and 30% in the tunnel?

The flow vis probably gives a better indication to whats happening than pitot rakes where wind might affect the airflow possibly?

JordanMugen

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:21
The flow vis probably gives a better indication to whats happening than pitot rakes where wind might affect the airflow possibly?
Obviously flow vis shows surface flow, where the rakes show flow away from the surface. :)

Say the flow vis shows a region of separation and reattachment, indicating a separation bubble -- that obviously doesn't tell you anything about how high that separation bubble goes above the surface. Or just a separation with no reattachment, that doesn't tell you where that stream-ward separation line perpendicular to the surface separation line goes once it's away from the surface!

Obviously with CFD you can generate streamlines not only on the surface, but also anywhere, in any plane you care to investigate.

Note: flow vis shows streaklines not streamlines, which are similar but different.

organic

https://de.motorsport.com/f1/news/helmu ... 7/10436609
"Last year we had a car that 'Checo' got along with very well at the beginning, and as it was further developed, Max was always happier," says Marko.
"The difference is: Max loves a strong front end, really snappy. Checo is a bit different there. He wants a more good-natured car," says Marko and emphasizes: "We seem to have found a solution here that allows both drivers to play to their qualities ."
He currently sees Aston Martin as the biggest surprise: "I think they've made the biggest step forward." But: "I believe that Alpine could also deliver a surprise.
It did seem like both drivers were comfortable in this test, something that hadnt happened before. It's very impressive they've made such a versatile car to cater to both of them given their preferences are essentially polar opposites.

From the same interview:
"We are very satisfied with the entire three test days," says motorsport consultant Helmut Marko at 'Sky' . "We actually only had one problem, and it wasn't serious."
. "And what is still to come after the data has been evaluated is a very fine tuning,"
In terms of times, no one could hold a candle to Red Bull in Sachir. At the end of the week of testing, Sergio Perez finished first, 0.359 seconds ahead of Lewis Hamilton. However, Marko emphasizes that the times should be viewed relatively: "We don't know what the competition was like in terms of tank filling," he says. "If they were heavier than us, then our time is relative."

"But it has shown that we are reliable and that we are fast," he says. But what makes him optimistic above all: the long runs were also right and were faster than those of the competition.
But the answer to that won't come until the season, as will the answer to who will be Red Bull's biggest competitor. "I think the first three will be the same," says Marko, who particularly noticed the last pace over a lap at Mercedes.

organic

Direct link to streamable

Interview with dutch media with Max about preseason testing

"everything's reasonably well"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Verstappen is once again at a lonely height in the race simulations. Even teammate Perez does not come close. "Checo is wearing out the rear tyres faster than Max," said Marko, who has seen Verstappen take another step forward.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/183373/v ... inarticle2

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 21:36
AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 21:34

I thought the wing they had last year in Monza was ideal. RB have the advantage of being able to carry a lossier wing than the others because their straightline speed is insane when the DRS opens.
I don't think that advantage will exist again this year. For the whole of '22 development RB aimed to make a more rounded car. Taking it away from the extreme aero efficiency it started out with and adding more and more downforce. They probably continued in the same vein. Ferrari in the off-season seem to have changed their focus towards aero efficiency and their test seems to affirm that. They focus on it a lot so that they can fight without a hand tied behind the back.

The rb19 is ofc probably going to share many characteristics to the RB18 which was a monster on the straights but I don't think the large inherent straightline advantage will be there such that Monza spec isn't necessary this year. Even last year Ferrari with a crocked engine could outqualify the RB18.

Plus RB know for certain that Ferrari have a Monza spec RW, which makes it more necessary. Of course, the state of affairs come April-may will decide this course of action. Things like crash damage, champ standings, relative car pace of rivals will affect the decision
Imo, Red Bull's straightline speed advantage on some circuits was present in spite of carrying downforce and what made it so powerful was that it was in part tied to being able to use DRS when needing to set a qualy lap or overtake. Red Bull was hitting higher top speeds in Monza when the DRS was open, than cars who had far smaller wings. :shock:

Whereas this year I feel that Ferrari are playing a dangerous game trying to score cheap efficiency points by slicing up their rear wing to reduce overall car drag, not just when DRS is open, but also everywhere (costing cornering performance at the same time). Even when Ferrari opens the DRS in Bahrain testing, they don't gain as much as RB did. F1data analysis said there was still a 3-4% difference in favor of Red Bull in the km/h gained opening the DRS so RB still have this party trick of being able to have wing in the corners, and then paying no penalty on the DRS-assisted straights in qualifying and when they actually need to overtake someone.

So from that, I don't neccesarily see a need to depart from the Monza recipe that worked so well from '2011-2014, and worked again this year (albeit by different mechanism). RB can afford to carry the extra wing and carry this cornering advantage, while not being penalized in qualifying, protecting the tires better over the stint, and having jet mode for the overtaking. It's a frightening combination.