2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 08:15

It is a tough interview, the reporting stating Mclarens trajectory is down and his is up and that he won't get a car to challenge at Mclaren.
Need to figure out the whole VPN thing, geo blocked.

I wonder what all this talk will do to Norris performance, he is receiving a tremendous amount of praise and lately a lot of talk that McLaren is not up to par to his skills… That could be demotivating for anyone and make him start questioning himself (as part of McLaren) and become a distraction… Hopefully the team and himself will manage the situation and won’t let it become too big of a distraction and he performing as best as possible.

Lucky
Lucky

Lucky
Lucky

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 08:23
mwillems wrote:

It is a tough interview, the reporting stating Mclarens trajectory is down and his is up and that he won't get a car to challenge at Mclaren.

I wonder what all this talk will do to Norris performance, he is receiving a tremendous amount of praise and lately a lot of talk that McLaren is not up to par to his skills… That could be demotivating for anyone and make him start questioning himself (as part of McLaren) and become a distraction… Hopefully the team and himself will manage the situation and won’t let it become too big of a distraction and he performing as best as possible.
Lando is a top driver, he deserves a top team, McLaren is not a top team.
Don't hold him back.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lucky wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 08:27
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Lando is a top driver, he deserves a top team, McLaren is not a top team.
Don't hold him back.
Not denying he is… I hope McLaren becomes that team for him… Changing teams is no guarantee of success (Alonso?, Carlos move to Ferrari?)

It took Verstappen 7 seasons to get a Championship in a top team… He has time.

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I hope he starts to shout these types of interview questions down a bit like Verstappen does when he’s asked the same irritating questions.
The lazy journalism form all media outlets is annoying to me so what must Lando think?
What I can’t my head around is why don’t the media constantly ask Leclerc why he isn’t WDC yet after so many years at a top team?
Also what happens if Piastri finishes close to Lando in the quali and race head to head for the season.
Does Landos stock go down? Does Piastris go up?
Will that mean Piastri should go to a top team instead?
Lando is 23, Raikkonen retired at 41- Lando has plenty of time
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

The 1.5s down to the top was an interesting comment. So I guess that’s where he feels the car will be come quali Saturday

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Obviously, you want to see an upward trajectory, you don't keep moving backwards then all of a sudden huge leap forward. Mercedes were improving year on year before the regulation change in 2014. That said, I still think the media are milking this story a little more than necessary. There's no such pressure on Alpine, who keep moving their targets further back, or aren't they expected to be challenging for titles?
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll remind everyone that the infrastructure deficit has been highlighted by the management. They have committed to it and put it out there that once these facilities are up to date, they'll have no excuses. Gentle reminder that the infrastructure isn't just the wind tunnel and simulator, they'll also be upgrading manufacturing tools and are currently on a recruitment drive for engineers. It's a long and frustrating road, but I'm more eager for 24,25 than 23.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I hope he starts to shout these types of interview questions down a bit like Verstappen does when he’s asked the same irritating questions.
The lazy journalism form all media outlets is annoying to me so what must Lando think?
What I can’t my head around is why don’t the media constantly ask Leclerc why he isn’t WDC yet after so many years at a top team?
Also what happens if Piastri finishes close to Lando in the quali and race head to head for the season.
Does Landos stock go down? Does Piastris go up?
Will that mean Piastri should go to a top team instead?
Lando is 23, Raikkonen retired at 41- Lando has plenty of time
Exactly… I hope Lando is surrounded by a good Team (which I guess he is) that is coaching him through this stage of his career… The reality is that both Lando and Russell started their careers at the same time and even though Russell is in the most successful team of the hybrid era, he isn’t closer today to a Championship compared to Lando.

The environment is not bad for Lando, they are building the Team around him, he went from Rookie with Carlos as the experienced hand, to challenge (and outperformed) who was intended to be Team Leader (Daniel) to now been clearly the Team leader, a good position to be in at this stage of his career… Mercedes is still Hamilton’s Team, Red Bull is Verstappen’s Team, Ferrari is Leclerc’s Team… Where else to go?

But all this talk can get to you and is easy to start questioning your decision, which could impact your motivation… And that irrespective of McLaren is not good for Lando… I can say that I can’t even fathom what it is to be in his shoes, at his age I was making pennies and spending them on parties every weekend without thinking about been the “best in the world”, a completely different world :)

mwillems

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:24
The 1.5s down to the top was an interesting comment. So I guess that’s where he feels the car will be come quali Saturday
I think he was talking about last years gap, but I may be wrong.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mwillems wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:36
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Hmmm re-listened but it’s a little ambiguous. He is talking in current tense and not past tense in that segment

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:40
mwillems wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 09:36
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Hmmm re-listened but it’s a little ambiguous. He is talking in current tense and not past tense in that segment
Probably as at last count, the deficit was 1.5secs from last season, which is what they have to work with. Not sure anyone knows yet what the gaps currently are.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

proteus wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 23:03
BrunoH wrote:
24 Feb 2023, 22:53
as i said before the lack of ambition even before the test now shows.. we want to be the 4 best... cmon its planning to fail from the start! i really hope the new tunnel and tech really help this otherwise we are the new Williams.... im really afraid we have killed Mclaren! they need to be doing a car with the aim to win at least races!
Yes, we saw when they made a 2015 car with intention to win the championship and we all know how that truned out to be...

They remained cool headed this year and it is much better than overhyping things. We all know they are still not in a position to be winning races, and doing that in modern F1 has become almost impossible as a privateer. As a customer even almighty RedBull was barely able to win in a new turbo era with one of the best designers by their side. Recovery of Mclaren is a long journey, Zak managed to stabilise the team, get the money and sponsors, Lando as a no.1 driver and now Piastri hopefully also being competitive. Second half are the facilities now and last part of the plan should be poaching more engineering talent and somewhat get themself another factory engine deal if possible.

Spot On...

McL-H
McL-H

Piastri struggling a lot with the car this morning. Locking up and running wide numerous times. Spinning at turn 10.

mwillems

Plenty of Qualy style laps this morning but not from Mclaren yet. As you say, Piastri locking up a lot, at turn 1 in particular.

He's a rookie and the track is dusty and breezy so let's see how it goes.

I'm waiting for the C5s to get booted up.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

He might be a rookie, but it’s pretty clear that Maclaren have made very little real progress.
“I think the issues we’ve got [are] probably pretty similar to last year, I think I’m also still getting up to speed with how I need to drive to extract the most out of the car.
“I think in terms of feeling of performance it’s I would say a small step from last year.
https://apple.news/Ay_-mbqAoT-awm6R-JTxhRA
"In downforce we trust"