2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

They needed the bigger wing for testing and proper setup today, but track-specific setup can and will come next weekend. If they manage to race even with that new medium load wing it will be a huge achievement, since last year they won with 2nd biggest wing they had in 2022.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

My prediction is that the car will be very competitive in quali in some tracks, but nowhere near RB in race trim.

Pretty much a 2019 reloaded.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:02
They needed the bigger wing for testing and proper setup today, but track-specific setup can and will come next weekend. If they manage to race even with that new medium load wing it will be a huge achievement, since last year they won with 2nd biggest wing they had in 2022.
To be fair, the RB was probably 15kg overweight and understeering.

MachineCo.
MachineCo.

I think they will be pretty competitive in race trim when the bolt on some down force

PhillipM
PhillipM

Honestly I've never been a Ferrari fan at the best of times - but seeing what they put in today with a car that was overheating the rears and a bit squirrely - if they have a higher DF wing ready for next week then I think they're the ones going to be taking the fight to Red Bull.
A lot of pundits are sleeping on the fact that the tyre deg over stints was always the rears going away and it feels pretty deliberate from Ferrari to me right now.
Last edited by PhillipM on 25 Feb 2023, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

organic

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:16
Honestly I've never been a Ferrari fan at the best of times - but seeing what they put in today with a car that was overheating the rears and a bit squirrely - if they have a higher DF wing ready for next week then I think they're the ones going to be taking the fight to Merc.
A lot of pundits are sleeping on the fact that the tyre deg over stints was always the rears going away and it feels pretty deliberate from Ferrari to me right now.
Taking the fight to Merc? You reckon that Merc are the top team going into Bahrain?

I agree - I think that the performance seems quite impressive with full context

jumpingfish

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:16
Honestly I've never been a Ferrari fan at the best of times - but seeing what they put in today with a car that was overheating the rears and a bit squirrely - if they have a higher DF wing ready for next week then I think they're the ones going to be taking the fight to Merc.
But why do they do that? Isn't it better to bring more wings to Bahrain and test all options with high/medium df wings and beam wings combinations.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Mercedes is even in deeper trouble than Ferrari. The W14 didn't look good at all.

PhillipM
PhillipM

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:21
Taking the fight to Merc? You reckon that Merc are the top team going into Bahrain?
Typo :lol:

organic

PhillipM wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:30
organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:21
Typo :lol:
Would've been better if you'd freudian slipped it to Mclaren

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:02
I'm surprised they stuck with their "efficient" wing throughout the whole 3 days, it is a radical departure in setup, makes me think the plan for the GP is simply fixing the DRS of the single pylon version.

Anything else possible? Maybe a floor edge wing or have they kept the skates?

dialtone
dialtone

RUS v LEC in the morning

* LEC gained in the fast 5-6-7 corners and in every straight, particularly the backstraight, stability out of T8 and T10 was superior to that of the RUS.
* Aside from T1, RUS was worse in every other corner, particularly the slower ones.

PER v LEC, hard to compare one was morning the other evening:

* LEC loses all the time in the slow corners T1, T4, T8 and T10, particularly braking performance from PER is better
* Both seem to have driven the car about as hard looking at shifting

SAI v HAM

* Similarly to LEC v RUS, SAI makes up lots of ground on the straights
* This time however HAM isn't losing a lot in the corners, including T1
* Judging from the floored throttle performance in 5-6-7 from HAM, he wasn't taking it easy at all.

Long stints, RBR did none:

* LEC last stint on softs looks pretty good actually
* SAI race sim looks good too in terms of deg, especially that second stint on mediums

Hard to understand if Ferrari botched the car honestly, they had the wrong wing on but even then the tire deg doesn't look that bad in those last few stints.

organic

Would vote up if I could. Maybe we should have a telemetry channel so that votes can be given as appropriate?

MV8
MV8

organic wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:34
Would vote up if I could. Maybe we should have a telemetry channel so that votes can be given as appropriate?
I agree, a general telemetry channel
Just posting

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:33
RUS v LEC in the morning
https://i.imgur.com/mv6RnFr.jpeg

* LEC gained in the fast 5-6-7 corners and in every straight, particularly the backstraight, stability out of T8 and T10 was superior to that of the RUS.
* Aside from T1, RUS was worse in every other corner, particularly the slower ones.

PER v LEC, hard to compare one was morning the other evening:
https://i.imgur.com/aNwjIbg.jpeg

* LEC loses all the time in the slow corners T1, T4, T8 and T10, particularly braking performance from PER is better
* Both seem to have driven the car about as hard looking at shifting

SAI v HAM
https://i.imgur.com/abiCEFi.jpeg

* Similarly to LEC v RUS, SAI makes up lots of ground on the straights
* This time however HAM isn't losing a lot in the corners, including T1
* Judging from the floored throttle performance in 5-6-7 from HAM, he wasn't taking it easy at all.

Long stints, RBR did none:
https://i.imgur.com/KLxRpe8.png

* LEC last stint on softs looks pretty good actually
* SAI race sim looks good too in terms of deg, especially that second stint on mediums

Hard to understand if Ferrari botched the car honestly, they had the wrong wing on but even then the tire deg doesn't look that bad in those last few stints.

Thanks as usual Dialtone.