2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Balalu wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:13
The ones calling for Lando to leave are definitely not real McLaren fans.
I hope Lando stays long term, (he already is long term if you think about it) but if we do not provide Lando with a race winning car by 2025, I think he will jump ship in 2026. Mclaren will be around many many years to come in F1, Lando, like every other driver on the grid does not have that luxury.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Balalu wrote:
Imagine calling yourself a McLaren fan and wanting Lando to leave, because 'he deserves better". Shocking, honestly shocking!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Balalu wrote:
Are they even Lando fans?
Advising him to go to Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes who have their own academy drivers which they once over looked Lando when they were all in GP2 together
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:32
Team report for day 3 and the end of testing:

Lando Norris:

“A decent three days here in Bahrain. First of all it's good to be back in a car. Second of all a big improvement from our test last year, getting so many laps under our belt, so the team have done a good job, a big thanks goes to them. We know there’s a few things we still need to improve on, but we’re in a reasonable place heading into race week. We’ve gathered a lot of data, which we’ll be analysing thoroughly ahead of next week. We’ll be working hard to get as much lap time out of the car and look to get the development of the MCL60 underway.”

Oscar Piastri:

“Day three done. It wasn’t the smoothest of mornings as we had a few issues with the car. I didn't get as many laps in as we would have liked. But nonetheless we still got some good running, and I'm still learning all the time, which is good. I think we’re in reasonable shape for next week, some more laps would be lovely but that’s always the case. It’s been a good few days of working with the team, getting the season underway, thanks to them for their support. I feel like we’re in a pretty good spot and I'm looking forward to getting out for my first race next week.”

Andrea Stella:

“The final day of pre-season testing has been challenging, as we had some downtime during the repair of a minor ongoing issue. We are not concerned about the issue for the race but it required some attention today to ensure we could complete as much of our run plan as possible. Despite those small setbacks we could still get some good information about the car in representative night-time conditions. We were able to see that we have made some steps in terms of performance across the test, and we have some valuable information ahead of the race next weekend.

“I would like to thank all the team, both trackside and at the factory, for the hard work during the test. Likewise, I would like to thank HPP for their support. We are now ready to go racing and look forward to the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix.”
Well the team feel comfortable with where they are today and comfortable with the steps they will take make a big step.

I don't expect us to do brilliantly next week but I have seen nothing to suggest we won't be strong in the races that come after.
Same here, not expecting a lot from the first few races… But we have been surprised before, that’s the nice thing about F1, not only can it surprise you with results some times, it also allows you to do better continuously, so even if it’s not that start we would like, I’ll try to enjoy the race… At the end of the day, it’s an sport and it supposed to be entertainment :)

In addition, I’m more interested in how they finish than how they start, if they manage to improve through the season, learn a few lessons and be able to keep improving towards the next season, I’ll be happy.

Lap times in testing don’t mean much, but after watching them for 3 days, they seem to be starting better than they did last season… It will be interesting to watch how the car behaves next week when they finally drive it in anger, if what has been said by Stella is accurate, the car should already be better than last season if they achieved 2 out of the 3 goals they set for themselves… That’s progress and that’s positive… If the rivals have made a bigger jump, it’s something that McLaren can’t control… They have to focus on themselves.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 19:52
Will Buxton reporting that he saw Lando punch through a wall. Not sure how we should take this, because he does play a key part in dts ...

Either way, it would be such a shame to lose a star driver like Lando. But at the same time, it would be injustice to keep him tied here if McLaren doesn't deliver.
I really wouldn't put too much weight at all behind statements made by Buxton. He's nothing but a tabloid "journalist" that deals in drama, misinterpretations and overexaggerations.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:19
Balalu wrote:
Imagine calling yourself a McLaren fan and wanting Lando to leave, because 'he deserves better". Shocking, honestly shocking!
Deserve is a funny word in this context… I don’t think anyone “deserves” anything… He is a good driver and if he keeps that level of performance (or manages to grow even more) the opportunities will present themselves, hopefully it will be with McLaren.

There is a component of luck in the sport too… Hamilton wouldn’t have the amount of titles he has if he would have gone to Ferrari or Verstappen wouldn’t be a 2 time champion if he would have left Red Bull when they were not in the hunt… We only need to ask Alonso about it :)

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:24
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 21:32
Team report for day 3 and the end of testing:

Lando Norris:

“A decent three days here in Bahrain. First of all it's good to be back in a car. Second of all a big improvement from our test last year, getting so many laps under our belt, so the team have done a good job, a big thanks goes to them. We know there’s a few things we still need to improve on, but we’re in a reasonable place heading into race week. We’ve gathered a lot of data, which we’ll be analysing thoroughly ahead of next week. We’ll be working hard to get as much lap time out of the car and look to get the development of the MCL60 underway.”

Oscar Piastri:

“Day three done. It wasn’t the smoothest of mornings as we had a few issues with the car. I didn't get as many laps in as we would have liked. But nonetheless we still got some good running, and I'm still learning all the time, which is good. I think we’re in reasonable shape for next week, some more laps would be lovely but that’s always the case. It’s been a good few days of working with the team, getting the season underway, thanks to them for their support. I feel like we’re in a pretty good spot and I'm looking forward to getting out for my first race next week.”

Andrea Stella:

“The final day of pre-season testing has been challenging, as we had some downtime during the repair of a minor ongoing issue. We are not concerned about the issue for the race but it required some attention today to ensure we could complete as much of our run plan as possible. Despite those small setbacks we could still get some good information about the car in representative night-time conditions. We were able to see that we have made some steps in terms of performance across the test, and we have some valuable information ahead of the race next weekend.

“I would like to thank all the team, both trackside and at the factory, for the hard work during the test. Likewise, I would like to thank HPP for their support. We are now ready to go racing and look forward to the 2023 Bahrain Grand Prix.”
Well the team feel comfortable with where they are today and comfortable with the steps they will take make a big step.

I don't expect us to do brilliantly next week but I have seen nothing to suggest we won't be strong in the races that come after.
Same here, not expecting a lot from the first few races… But we have been surprised before, that’s the nice thing about F1, not only can it surprise you with results some times, it also allows you to do better continuously, so even if it’s not that start we would like, I’ll try to enjoy the race… At the end of the day, it’s an sport and it supposed to be entertainment :)

In addition, I’m more interested in how they finish than how they start, if they manage to improve through the season, learn a few lessons and be able to keep improving towards the next season, I’ll be happy.

Lap times in testing don’t mean much, but after watching them for 3 days, they seem to be starting better than they did last season… It will be interesting to watch how the car behaves next week when they finally drive it in anger, if what has been said by Stella is accurate, the car should already be better than last season if they achieved 2 out of the 3 goals they set for themselves… That’s progress and that’s positive… If the rivals have made a bigger jump, it’s something that McLaren can’t control… They have to focus on themselves.

Yeah, this. Much more important to create a solid base for next years car than have any particular finishing position.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Slahinki wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:28
Emag wrote:
Will Buxton reporting that he saw Lando punch through a wall. Not sure how we should take this, because he does play a key part in dts ...

Either way, it would be such a shame to lose a star driver like Lando. But at the same time, it would be injustice to keep him tied here if McLaren doesn't deliver.
I really wouldn't put too much weight at all behind statements made by Buxton. He's nothing but a tabloid "journalist" that deals in drama, misinterpretations and overexaggerations.
Yeah his entire demeanor, like the news has "rocked" him :D :D

The guy is a clown. If the car is not fast enough and the driver was OK about it, that would rock me.

-Bandit

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

djos wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 12:17
johnny comelately wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 11:30
djos wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 07:53

I don’t think Zac is the problem, the aero department seem to be way too timid to me and the chassis guys need to learn how to incorporate driver feedback!
That is his job, to make sure those sort of things do not happen (plus much more)
No it isn’t, Zac’s job is to make sure McLaren have the funds to fight for a WDC/WCC and to hire the Technical Director.

It’s up to the technical director to make sure the design team is doing its job and the fabrication team is building the design to specification.
With respect, you have misunderstood what I said.
The CEO's charge is to assemble the team and empower them so that they can achieve. And ensure that by personnel monitoring. And of course he has the other peripheral duties.
It would be a given that Paul Walsh, the executive Chairman, has his Plan B ready. It is his reponsibility to ensure the CEO is performing.
Last edited by johnny comelately on 25 Feb 2023, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

I'd imagine Mclaren will always be looking to improve their team - like every organisation. Thing is, the people have to be both available and interested in coming to Mclaren and compatible with the budget cap.

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:19
Balalu wrote:
A McLaren fan would want the best people to come, not go.... Irrelevant of what state the team would be in. Loosing the good stuff makes it worse, not better. Common sense.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Balalu
Balalu

CjC wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:23
Balalu wrote:
Are they even Lando fans?
Advising him to go to Red Bull, Ferrari or Mercedes who have their own academy drivers which they once over looked Lando when they were all in GP2 together
Absolutely!

Lando's best bet is still McLaren.

Riccardo was great at RedBull, average to good at Renault, subpar at McLaren.

Carlos was good to very good at Toro Rosso, Great at McLaren, good to very good at Ferrari (till now).

Hamilton switched teams to greatness. Alonso switched teams to become a meme...
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

VJ45
VJ45

I am not that worried abt Mclr's performance in the last 3 days; this car might turn out to be 4th or 5th fastest car on the grid next week.
My biggest worry, this team is not taking the 'Next' step; they are more or less in the same position for the last 4 years.

Slahinki
Slahinki

mwillems wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:32
Slahinki wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:28
Emag wrote:

Yeah his entire demeanor, like the news has "rocked" him :D :D

The guy is a clown. If the car is not fast enough and the driver was OK about it, that would rock me.
Feels like the man treats the real wolrd as if it's Drive to Survive. I think clown is a good word for him, indeed.

MrGapes

I’m glad Phillip helped clean this forum up… it sucked coming in here and listening to broken records, I understand that’s what forums are for, but surely 10 pages of the same rambling is enough.

I think the team have been very open and honest from the very start of this season… it doesn’t help that the media takes this honesty and turns it into headlines. + you have your Will Buxton’s of the world