2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This is graphically ALO v SAI race sim although SAI didn't do a real race sim as he didn't do the last stint.

To me it seems SAI was faster than ALO on C1. The very last stint for SAI was with the new floor I think, I don't know the fuel load but it doesn't show much degradation.
Last edited by dialtone on 26 Feb 2023, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

jambuka
jambuka

Spoutnik wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 23:48
I feel Sainz is/will be more at ease with the car this season,but I don't know if it's a good thing for the team
This is a bad thing. Sainz chokes the moment Checo/Hamilton starts hunting him. Leclerc has the potential, just needs the car.

dialtone
dialtone

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 1cwsC.html
Fred: “It has been three intense days of work for everyone in the team. We have scanned a number of items on the car and ticked many of the boxes of our programme, without worrying about lap times or what the others have been doing, simply focusing on ourselves,” said Vasseur.
Whenever we managed to put everything together the performance seemed to be there, but we are clearly still in the process of getting to know the car so it’s too early to say anything.
Leclerc: “We have three very intensive days of testing behind us. The first day was all about running big scans and trying to understand how well our data matches what we predicted at the factory. What we learned is that there is quite a good correlation.

f1316
f1316

I really think that correlation is really the only important thing here. If the car does what they expected it to do, it’s still possible that their targets were all wrong, but almost certainly they’ll have a decent car that’s in the ballpark.

I really think that when you put the right wings on the car, the whole picture changes - you keep the tyres in the window and the laptime corresponds. The fact that Ferrari didn’t feel the need to do this at the test actually to me speaks of a lot of confidence - all they’re interested in is gathering the data to prove out their models as that’s the point of a test.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I do think Ferrari is ‘sandbagging’. I’ve seen a post on twitter going around (it may have already surfaced here but I can’t be bothered scrolling back through the last pages) showing the F1-75 had high tyre deg during the test too, which did not carry over to the race. If we recall the very beginning of last season (up to imola-ish) Ferrari even had the superior tyre wear to redbull.

So, I do think Ferrari is simply testing, that they know what they’re doing, and that they will be right there come the race.

The question I have, and I think Charles rightly commented on in the presser, is whether or not they’re on redbull’s level. That I’m not so confident about. Redbull this year is giving the quiet confidence of Mercedes during testing over the last almost decade (2022 excluded obviously).

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Too much tech stuff here which actually confusing me so let me make it simple - two issues which are imo interlinked
1. Higher tyre deg.
2. Long run pace.

Is there any tiny sign of resolving this ?

organic

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 05:59
Too much tech stuff here which actually confusing me so let me make it simple - two issues which are imo interlinked
1. Higher tyre deg.
2. Long run pace.

The big sign is that they didn't use a higher df setup all test. More df will alleviate issues in terms of long run pace and higher tyre deg

To me the worst thing about the car is balance. Seems harder to find a happy place for the car than last year which seemed to work immediately, and it seems less consistent. More df won't necessarily make this better

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 06:00
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
1. Higher tyre deg.
2. Long run pace.

The big sign is that they didn't use a higher df setup all test. More df will alleviate issues in terms of long run pace and higher tyre deg

To me the worst thing about the car is balance. Seems harder to find a happy place for the car than last year which seemed to work immediately, and it seems less consistent. More df won't necessarily make this better
A car that slides overheats the tires, and balance can shift from tire overheating. I think more downforce will stabilize the car leading to more consistent tire temperature, which could translate to a better balance.

Contrary to what others think, I really think Ferrari had a normal test. You have items to get through and you problem solve. It's just that Red Bull's very dialed in test makes the others look out of place but it's RB's test which is the exception, not the norm.

Vanja #66

It's a great thing if you manage to make your car work with significantly lower rear wing downforce than others, on a hot track that doesn't usually respond well to that kind of aero setup. The simplest thing to do is add rear wing downforce and balance it with appropriate front wing setup. :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

jambuka
jambuka

In a way it’s good they did not do track specific testing and tried to baseline with setups not recommended for Bahrain. Hopefully this week in the sim they can fine tune setups.
Has there been any update on the issue faced by AR? I read it was Ferrari PU issue. If that’s true then it’s concerning. But we don’t know if it was cooling or gearbox. It seems both of those are done by AR themselves.’

jambuka
jambuka

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 06:17
organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 06:00
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
1. Higher tyre deg.
2. Long run pace.

A car that slides overheats the tires, and balance can shift from tire overheating. I think more downforce will stabilize the car leading to more consistent tire temperature, which could translate to a better balance.

Contrary to what others think, I really think Ferrari had a normal test. You have items to get through and you problem solve. It's just that Red Bull's very dialed in test makes the others look out of place but it's RB's test which is the exception, not the norm.

Hope more loaded wing doesn’t make the car bounce though.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

MV8
MV8

Vasseur statements on tests.
“The most important was to scan every kind of setting on the car, because you know that the feature of today [at the test] is completely different to the picture of next week.
“Overall, I think that we can be happy with the test that we did,”
More in
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10436718/
Just posting

Xyz22
Xyz22

Hopefully they are not right like previous years.
If this is true coming Baku Ferrari will be behind Mercedes as they have already a major upgrade package in the pipeline (if it works of course).

Ferrari has always been incapable of recovering performance compared to the competition during the season. Hopefully it's not true. :D

JPower
JPower

Xyz22 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 12:28

Hopefully they are not right like previous years.
If this is true coming Baku Ferrari will be behind Mercedes as they have already a major upgrade package in the pipeline (if it works of course).

Ferrari has always been incapable of recovering performance compared to the competition during the season. Hopefully it's not true. :D
So you’ve gone from testing to extrapolating performance of these cars by Baku?