2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kamel
Kamel

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

In my opinion, Aston Martin isn't faster than Ferrari or Mercedes, yet the latter can still open the engine. Let's see how the team can progress during the season, since this concept is new for them

NAPI10
NAPI10

I there any truth in this news -

Reporting an upgrade package for Bahrain :shock:

PinkFloydPulse

God… So much hype over 3 days of testing… And if they do not challenge RB in the first race all the haters and online experts will start pouring cr*p over them… People, calm down… :) AM never made any predictions on battling it out in the front… Respect that and enjoy if it happens, but please don’t bash them if that is not the case… Would not be fair towards the team…
Team Fernando!

xReVo
xReVo

From what I've read I see that many don't know what it means to have great team ambitions. Saying at the beginning of the year that the goal is 4th place is a loser's mentality. Every team in F1 should aim to win and even more so the Aston Martin brand. If these news are true and that there will also be updates for the barhain, it means that they are on the right way. This doesn't mean that you have to be bold, but it means wanting to win at all costs.

F1doc
F1doc

xReVo wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 21:38
From what I've read I see that many don't know what it means to have great team ambitions. Saying at the beginning of the year that the goal is 4th place is a loser's mentality. Every team in F1 should aim to win and even more so the Aston Martin brand. If these news are true and that there will also be updates for the barhain, it means that they are on the right way. This doesn't mean that you have to be bold, but it means wanting to win at all costs.
What you've written reminds me of an in-house article that AM published pre-launch of the AMR23.

https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/new ... no-excuses

PinkFloydPulse

xReVo wrote:
that's absolutely fine and you are on point... It's just the folks here are super unrealistic sometimes...
Team Fernando!

xReVo
xReVo

F1doc wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 21:54
xReVo wrote:
What you've written reminds me of an in-house article that AM published pre-launch of the AMR23.

It means that I have the right mentality🤣

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

xReVo wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 22:21
F1doc wrote:
xReVo wrote:

That is what Fernando said he liked about AMR. They put their heads down and they don't celebrate until they win. If Alonso gets a podium next weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't too much hype within the team about it. After all, for a team that wants to win the championship, a podium isn't enough.

NAPI10
NAPI10

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 22:26
xReVo wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 22:21
F1doc wrote:

That is what Fernando said he liked about AMR. They put their heads down and they don't celebrate until they win. If Alonso gets a podium next weekend, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't too much hype within the team about it. After all, for a team that wants to win the championship, a podium isn't enough.
That's what Lawrence & Alonso said at the launch....4th doesn't matter, neither 3rd nor 2nd. We might not achieve it this year but that's what everyone strives for in this team; nothing less than that.
I don't mind if they end up finishing 4th or 5th this year but that cut-throat ambition should remain live.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It seems like Fernando would like some adjustments to the brake feel and the power steering judging by his remarks around 1:24 in the video. Power steering was one of his first complaints at Alpine.

snajam
snajam

I read somewhere that after the postseason test he had that issue with the amr22. He likes a more steering feedback, something power steering seems to numb out. I got the feeler from this he isn't completely happy with the controls either. But I suspect these are not hard fixes.
Last edited by snajam on 27 Feb 2023, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

snajam wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 00:27
I read somewhere that after last seasons preseason test he had that issue with the amr22. He likes a more steering feedback, something power steering seems to numb out. I got the feeler from this he isn't completely happy with the controls either. But I suspect these are not hard fixes.
No fortunately they are quite easy fixes but iirc it took Alpine a year to change the power steering system. Perhaps AMR will be a bit more eager/ambitious about it.

KimiRai
KimiRai

I believe Alpine has a lot of pace hidden still, but here is why I believe Aston is at least slightly ahead.

Both Alpine and Aston have similar goals for this season: P4 and closing the gap to the top 3. But while Matt Harman says "we're where we thought we were", Aston is not where it thought it was before this test. It is in fact ahead of its own expectations.

Aston had Alonso do a simulated race at the end and they gave him a target lap, but found the car was asking for more and increased the pace. Everyone in the pits was surprised and the mechanics were seen with a smile from ear to ear. Alpine will do well, but I really think Aston have a slight lead at least. So that means 4th car. Which ironically has exceeded even my own expectations, which were 5th car...

But yes, we need to calm down, or at least some people are getting a little ahead of themselves.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Regardless of Alpine's pace, I think Alonso is the more complete driver.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 01:10
Regardless of Alpine's pace, I think Alonso is the more complete driver.
But you need both drivers

Can Alonso compensate for drugo/stroll? Compared to Ocon/Gasly, maybe to be honest