Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:32
https://i.imgur.com/iNAVN8s.jpeg

AMuS 📸

SF23 with the undercut panelling closed up ie s-duct closed. Seems potentially they won't run the s-duct if the cooling requirements of the circuit is lower? Or maybe they're just testing to see what the performance is like without it
Doesn't look closed?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 17:04
organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 16:32
https://i.imgur.com/iNAVN8s.jpeg

AMuS 📸

SF23 with the undercut panelling closed up ie s-duct closed. Seems potentially they won't run the s-duct if the cooling requirements of the circuit is lower? Or maybe they're just testing to see what the performance is like without it
Doesn't look closed?
I think the lighting confused me tbh and the panelling looked different to me but maybe I'm completely mistaken

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Can't neccessarily see if it's open or closed, but the duct still looks present.

jambuka
jambuka

Wasn’t Sainz using the new floor as well in his last stint ? Just read that the new floor data looks promising, so maybe the comparison has other changes in terms of parts used as well along with time/temp differences. I don’t think we can compare or say anything conclusive about these two laps.

organic

jambuka wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 20:29
Wasn’t Sainz using the new floor as well in his last stint ? Just read that the new floor data looks promising, so maybe the comparison has other changes in terms of parts used as well along with time/temp differences. I don’t think we can compare or say anything conclusive about these two laps.
Yes he used the floor for his final stint according to Duchessa

nico5

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 20:32
jambuka wrote:
Checking the footage that seems to be the case. The (half-ish) race sim was carried out with the stay in the higher position and the last run on higher fuel was with the stay in the lower position (there's a nice couple of shots around 12 minutes to the end).
Having said that, the floor change was fairly rapid, it seems weird they would move to a different floor design without any setup tuning and be instantly on it. I feel this might have only been a test on the different placement of the stay, as the supposedly new floor had already been tested in Fiorano. If that was indeed a new floor why would you run it in the shakedown and then put it aside for the 99% of your testing? It's easy for Duchessa to say "the changes were underneath" after he committed to that claim on day 1.
Anyways, the last run was faster then the earlier opening stint and I'm pretty sure it was on the same first stint-fuel so whatever they did it's gotta be working :D

organic

nico5 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 23:08
organic wrote:
jambuka wrote:
Checking the footage that seems to be the case. The (half-ish) race sim was carried out with the stay in the higher position and the last run on higher fuel was with the stay in the lower position (there's a nice couple of shots around 12 minutes to the end).
Having said that, the floor change was fairly rapid, it seems weird they would move to a different floor design without any setup tuning and be instantly on it. I feel this might have only been a test on the different placement of the stay, as the supposedly new floor had already been tested in Fiorano. If that was indeed a new floor why would you run it in the shakedown and then put it aside for the 99% of your testing? It's easy for Duchessa to say "the changes were underneath" after he committed to that claim on day 1.
Anyways, the last run was faster then the earlier opening stint and I'm pretty sure it was on the same first stint-fuel so whatever they did it's gotta be working :D
The changes are slightly visible above the surface but not very. I posted about it

The radius of this corner on the floor is much sharper than it was previously so if the light catches it right we might be able to see if they were running the new floor with the original stay placement for the entire day.

nico5

organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 23:09
nico5 wrote:
organic wrote:

The changes are slightly visible above the surface but not very. I posted about it

https://i.imgur.com/Z0Cz5O7.png

The radius of this corner on the floor is much sharper than it was previously so if the light catches it right we might be able to see if they were running the new floor with the original stay placement for the entire day.
I don't think it's different, in "both" floors you can see the attachment for both placements of the stay. Also, the floor change would have taken 18 minutes. Sounds a little short

organic

nico5 wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 23:13
organic wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 23:09
nico5 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/Z0Cz5O7.png

I don't think it's different, in "both" floors you can see the attachment for both placements of the stay. Also, the floor change would have taken 18 minutes. Sounds a little short
That does sound far too quick

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The floor could be modular, allowing them to attach new bits without removing it.

jambuka
jambuka

Considering that they could still manage to do short long runs on a totally different setup than required for Bahrain and decent one lap pace as well, feels like with Bahrain optimized wing SF23 will be much closer to RB19.

Sevach
Sevach

AR3-GP wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 23:25
The floor could be modular, allowing them to attach new bits without removing it.
That is a new way of doing things in budget cap era, instead of building a whole new floor just to tweak one aspect.

It may well be the case.

ing.

Sevach wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:15
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ail-1.webp

Instead of the constant radius of the 2022 wing this one has a flatter center section.
Ferrari, by limiting centreline cooling to a minimum—and so having the smallest cross section of the bodywork behind the roll bar and the engine cover of any car (save Haas)—must be benefiting from improved flow to the RW, yes? So we could expect that Ferrari’s wing could be sized to a lower projected cross-sectional area for the same DF as on a wing on rival cars with larger inlet scoops and various cannons.

So, a same for same comparison between wing areas might not be valid when comparing to other cars.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ing. wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 04:59
Sevach wrote:

Instead of the constant radius of the 2022 wing this one has a flatter center section.
Ferrari, by limiting centreline cooling to a minimum—and so having the smallest cross section of the bodywork behind the roll bar and the engine cover of any car (save Haas)—must be benefiting from improved flow to the RW, yes? So we could expect that Ferrari’s wing could be sized to a lower projected cross-sectional area for the same DF as on a wing on rival cars with larger inlet scoops and various cannons.

So, a same for same comparison between wing areas might not be valid when comparing to other cars.
True, but their roll hoop inlet was the same size last year when they were running larger wings and likely had a better performing floor than RB before TD039.

ing.

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 05:19
ing. wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 04:59
Sevach wrote:

True, but their roll hoop inlet was the same size last year when they were running larger wings and likely had a better performing floor than RB before TD039.
Right. Maybe with the turbulence from the cockpit and halo there’s no real advantage for RW performance having a narrow inlet and slim engine cover.

This then begs the question of why they’ve done this instead of, say, a cannon design and so allowing them to remove the kick-up and exit at the rear of the sidepods and have a downwash design like all the other teams?