2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ValeVida46 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 17:22
ValeVida46 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 15:17

I personally feel that Buxton should be accountable for inciting some instability.
The twitter frenzy on this creates a real problem for the team and it's not the first time Buxton runs his tongue for clicks. He did backtrack later and suggest it "might have been playful", but the damage is done.

He's done McLaren, Lando and F1 no favours with this toxic gossip.
He just adds to the entertainment… And yes, their jobs (pundits, journalists, etc) is to create “clicks” or better said “engagement”… The problem isn’t Buxton per se, is the fans looking for anything they can use to create or add drama
When it comes to destabilising a team and a driver, wouldn't you say that's a line crossed?
I'd disagree that it's the fans or that it adds to entertainment.
Journalists are incumbent to provide information responsibly. What's happened here is a failing of responsible journalism which actually ended up in him backtracking suggesting it "playful" which is the opposite of his sensationalist bombshell.

To the detriment of McLaren and it's driver.
I don’t think that it destabilizes the Team… They know what actually happened and in debriefing things would have been discussed (from a car perspective) and behind close doors if needed to… Happens most often than not.

I won’t get into a debate in regards to the standards that “journalism” should follow (I do agree with you, but this isn’t the space for that)… But at the same time, I would make a clear differentiation between journalism, reporting and entertainers… The likes of Buxton fit between the last 2 categories.

I do believe that unluckily we are in an era in which everything get scrutinized and analyzed in excess (why did James Key wasn’t at the launch? Why didn’t Lando smiled when he got out of the car? Stella didn’t seem happy, etc.) and narratives are created based on that… I do believe that is the fans that use that in one or another (we’ve read a few of those instances in this thread, where it has been used to belittle the team)… At the end the drama one way or another is fueled by the fans who seem to revel and enjoy it.

I watched the Buxton comment, didn’t think much about it… It was clear that McLaren didn’t had a great test period, Lando was pissed because of it, he may have vented his frustration… I for one I’m happy he shows passion… But didn’t paid more attention than that to it.

mwillems

ValeVida46 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:54
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 17:22
ValeVida46 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 15:17

I personally feel that Buxton should be accountable for inciting some instability.
The twitter frenzy on this creates a real problem for the team and it's not the first time Buxton runs his tongue for clicks. He did backtrack later and suggest it "might have been playful", but the damage is done.

He's done McLaren, Lando and F1 no favours with this toxic gossip.
He just adds to the entertainment… And yes, their jobs (pundits, journalists, etc) is to create “clicks” or better said “engagement”… The problem isn’t Buxton per se, is the fans looking for anything they can use to create or add drama
When it comes to destabilising a team and a driver, wouldn't you say that's a line crossed?
I'd disagree that it's the fans or that it adds to entertainment.
Journalists are incumbent to provide information responsibly. What's happened here is a failing of responsible journalism which actually ended up in him backtracking suggesting it "playful" which is the opposite of his sensationalist bombshell.

To the detriment of McLaren and it's driver.
The team and Lando will have moved on and everyone knows how they feel, if indeed anything happened.

It is the "fans" that keep turning the spoon and going over it. No one is responsible for any of this drama more than those who willingly or unwittingly seem to want to consume it an regurgitate it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ValeVida46

mwillems wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 19:30
It is the "fans" that keep turning the spoon and going over it. No one is responsible for any of this drama more than those who willingly or unwittingly seem to want to consume it an regurgitate it.
I wouldn't say the audience was to blame personally.
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 19:15
I watched the Buxton comment, didn’t think much about it… It was clear that McLaren didn’t had a great test period, Lando was pissed because of it, he may have vented his frustration… I for one I’m happy he shows passion… But didn’t paid more attention than that to it.
I think Lando is great, refreshing in many aspects and a fine driver who, as you rightly say is frustrated.
The focus for the team is the car, and really is no need for distractions I'm sure we all agree.
2 bit journos frustrate me though... I'll just leave it at that. :D

mwillems

ValeVida46 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 19:49
mwillems wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 19:30
I wouldn't say the audience was to blame personally.
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 19:15
I think Lando is great, refreshing in many aspects and a fine driver who, as you rightly say is frustrated.
The focus for the team is the car, and really is no need for distractions I'm sure we all agree.
2 bit journos frustrate me though... I'll just leave it at that. :D
In general I find consumers the prime focus of responsibility in many aspects of life.

Will Buxton is responsible for himself, everyone else is responsible for how they respond. They eagerly devour it so Will Buxton feeds them more, and why wouldn't he.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CjC wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 14:52
Lucky wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 11:10
genarro wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 12:36

Lando first punched, kicked and destroyed a whole wall... James Key is next.. Who knows what then...
From the autorsport forum
on the Sky Sports F1 show last night they stated that Lando has 'gone ballistic' with the team behind the scenes. They were intimating he has said the car isn't good enough (again) and if it doesn't improve fast he will be looking elsewhere.
Seriously? He’s gone ballistic to the point of punching, kicking and destroying a wall??

I can’t believe myself but it it’s true terminate his contract because that kind of attitude will be toxic to the team
Then it's a good thing that Alonso, Hamilton and Verstappen all got sacked? oh wait :wink:
A lion must kill its prey.

Ben1980
Ben1980

You would presume Lando and Oscar were fully aware of the car and the updates situation. Yet believe he flipped out so much after the non updated car wasn't great.

genarro
genarro

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 21:18
CjC wrote:
Lucky wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 11:10
From the autorsport forum
Seriously? He’s gone ballistic to the point of punching, kicking and destroying a wall??

I can’t believe myself but it it’s true terminate his contract because that kind of attitude will be toxic to the team
Then it's a good thing that Alonso, Hamilton and Verstappen all got sacked? oh wait :wink:
Hahaha i was being sarcastic... Move on guys cmon

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's all bullshit, Lando slapped a screen after he got out of the car while walking past. You know the same as most people might do casually if annoyed, or happy, or randomly on a whim. That's it.

Now all of a sudden it's raging, punching walls, kicking off at the team and all sorts of crap. F1 journalism is a cesspool lately.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

genarro wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 22:10
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 21:18
CjC wrote:

Hahaha i was being sarcastic... Move on guys cmon
Sorry, I misinterpreted that :D

Mansell89
Mansell89

PhillipM wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 22:12
It's all bullshit, Lando slapped a screen after he got out of the car while walking past. You know the same as most people might do casually if annoyed, or happy, or randomly on a whim. That's it.

Now all of a sudden it's raging, punching walls, kicking off at the team and all sorts of crap. F1 journalism is a cesspool lately.
100%- let alone the click bait fest on YouTube. My word.

We desperately need some reputable reporters who uphold the sport.

Back to McLaren- I’m more interested in their Race 2 and 3 than I am Bahrain.

Lucky
Lucky

Another aggravating factor is that, according to what has been gathered, in the last year at Woking several top-level team engineers have said goodbye, who have moved elsewhere and have thus weaken the team's technical department, which is now also trying to 'respond' with new personnel and the enhancement of internal figures.
https://www.formu1a.uno/problemi-mclare ... ella-mcl36

continuum16

I did not watch all of pre-season testing, just about half of it; were there any interviews directly with James Key? I know they didn't speak to everyone, but I saw they interviewed people like Mike Elliott, Matt Harman, Jan Monchaux, Simone Resta, etc., but I haven't seen or heard from Key. I haven't seen any written press interviews with him since launch day either. He was not at the launch, although he was in a picture they put out in their press release. Strange since McLaren is pretty media-friendly that they've been so tight-lipped, if that's the case.

It's very possible I missed something, though, but I'd like to see what he says, even if it isn't probably going to be revolutionary or substantially more enlightening than what we know already.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

xReVo
xReVo

As an Alonso fan, I think you are getting the wrong opinion about the lack of McLaren development. It's true that Aston Martin uses the Mercedes wind tunnel, but let's not forget that its old structure is one of the smallest in the circus. Alpine has the smallest structure ever and I don't think they have these problems, Redbull has the oldest wind tunnel of all and they are the fastest car on the grid. The lack of McLaren development depends only and exclusively on the skill and quality of the technicians and engineers it has. I know it well because if Am has taken this step forward it is above all thanks to Dan Fallows, Blandin, etc. And believe me, after a team principal as good as Seidl left (nothing to take away from Stella) I understood that McLaren wasn't going anywhere. Evidently there is a lack of a person like Ron Dennis who has the ambition and the hunger to win.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

xReVo wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 23:44
As an Alonso fan, I think you are getting the wrong opinion about the lack of McLaren development. It's true that Aston Martin uses the Mercedes wind tunnel, but let's not forget that its old structure is one of the smallest in the circus. Alpine has the smallest structure ever and I don't think they have these problems, Redbull has the oldest wind tunnel of all and they are the fastest car on the grid. The lack of McLaren development depends only and exclusively on the skill and quality of the technicians and engineers it has. I know it well because if Am has taken this step forward it is above all thanks to Dan Fallows, Blandin, etc. And believe me, after a team principal as good as Seidl left (nothing to take away from Stella) I understood that McLaren wasn't going anywhere. Evidently there is a lack of a person like Ron Dennis who has the ambition and the hunger to win.
Just to clarify… Red Bull doesn’t use the “oldest wind tunnel” in the grid… Actually maybe be the most modern Wind Tunnel in the grid and has updated constantly… It may be in the oldest location, but from a performance perspective is a class leader.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 00:25
xReVo wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 23:44
Just to clarify… Red Bull doesn’t use the “oldest wind tunnel” in the grid… Actually maybe be the most modern Wind Tunnel in the grid and has updated constantly… It may be in the oldest location, but from a performance perspective is a class leader.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/helmut-ma ... nd-tunnel/
ready.”

“The problem with our wind tunnel is that it is a post-war product,” he told Auto Motor und Sport. “It was built by the British Ministry of Defence. It’s a listed building.

“It’s incredibly long and not insulated. It takes a while to heat up. When it’s cold outside, it takes even longer.
“That’s why we are now building a new wind tunnel on our premises.