2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1doc
F1doc

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Dextercitox wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 12:53
In one of the Saturday interviews of the spanish journalist Antonio Lobato with Pedro de la Rosa on the pitlane, you can read between lines ( because de la Rosa didn't want to talk more than needed ) that they started the sim with a Delta but they realize that they can push harder because they dont expect to have that low degradation.
Pedro is interviewed (in English) by the F1 Nation podcast, and talks about AM's pre-season testing.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... OFOp2.html

He does talk about having to play it down after 8 minutes into this.

KimiRai
KimiRai

It's normal and correct that they have to play it down. About Pedro, I've watched the Spanish coverage of the tests and he was always hiding a smile all the time. But if they promise something and then other teams bring updates (like Alpine will soon) or find a better setup or whatever and then they don't deliver on that promise, people would be angry. So it makes sense they play it down.

KimiRai
KimiRai

That Aston is being mentioned more and more alongside the big 3 makes me believe there's real pace and not just testing shenanigans. Four days to find out anyways.

xReVo
xReVo

KimiRai wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:13
It's normal and correct that they have to play it down. About Pedro, I've watched the Spanish coverage of the tests and he was always hiding a smile all the time. But if they promise something and then other teams bring updates (like Alpine will soon) or find a better setup or whatever and then they don't deliver on that promise, people would be angry. So it makes sense they play it down.
According to Amus Aston Martin will also bring a big update. Besides, I don't think an update can change all the problems that Alpine has.

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 23:04
KimiRai wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 18:13
According to Amus Aston Martin will also bring a big update. Besides, I don't think an update can change all the problems that Alpine has.
Lobato asked Pedro when they were going to bring the first updates and he wouldn't answer for obvious reasons, so I guess something could arrive for the GP then. But I doubt it's big as claimed

Henk_v
Henk_v

Setting aside any personal preferences on likeability. I'd much rather see Max battle Alonso over battling Hamilton, just for spectacle reasons. Max and Alonso are both cunning drivers with a "take no prisoners" racecraft. Even the prospect of Alonso having to overtake Checo to get to Max is exciting to me. A lot has been said about Checo, but when the sh*t hits the fan, he's feirce. When Checo -and I know it's far fetched- gets the order to defend against Alonso to protect Max, we'd all be cheering.

Both Ferrari drivers are passed by their mistakes, A good driver just hunts them till they make one. Passing Hamilton often get's ugly. I would be cheering if we'd see some true racecraft at the top.

F1doc
F1doc

Speculative post here. My interpretation by the fact that no news was announced today about Lance driving in Bahrain speaks volumes. If he was fit enough, I would have expected an announcement straightaway.

604gtir
604gtir

Super excited for this season, truth be told, am an Alonso fan since he first entered with Minardi and am also a Max Fan. Always love the bad guys. Not expecting anything more than best of the rest but hoping AM can snag a mixed up race win. I hope LStroll tries to poach Norris after his contract is up with Mclaren. I think he would be a good replacement for Alonso after he hangs up his helmet.

como33
como33

Video from Toni Cuquerella's instagram about today's "Vamos sobre Ruedas" episode showing a impotent De La Rosa trying to play down the hype again without much luck 😂

Hype is real lol

diffuser

Venturiation wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 18:03
vas_04614 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 18:09

#AMuS reports that apparently the ground clearance of the RB19 is at least 10 millimetres below everyone else [based on what Mercedes observed]. And despite that, still no bouncing issues.

Toto says their floor would break if they would do the same.

#AMuS Another car with similar characteristics as the RB19 is the AMR23. Mercedes engineers claim to have noticed that the AMR23 drives at a lower ride height too, and despite that, gets over the bumps well. It is also strong on corner exit.

#AMuS The comparison with Aston Martin is interesting for Mercedes because they supply Aston Martin with the engine, gearbox and rear suspension.

Aston Martin only makes the front axle, which could indicate that this is where both the secret of Red Bull and Aston Martin lie.
I don't understand that statement. The ground clearance is regulated and the min clearance was raised15mm from last year.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:32
Venturiation wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 18:03
vas_04614 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 18:09

#AMuS reports that apparently the ground clearance of the RB19 is at least 10 millimetres below everyone else [based on what Mercedes observed]. And despite that, still no bouncing issues.

Toto says their floor would break if they would do the same.

#AMuS Another car with similar characteristics as the RB19 is the AMR23. Mercedes engineers claim to have noticed that the AMR23 drives at a lower ride height too, and despite that, gets over the bumps well. It is also strong on corner exit.

#AMuS The comparison with Aston Martin is interesting for Mercedes because they supply Aston Martin with the engine, gearbox and rear suspension.

Aston Martin only makes the front axle, which could indicate that this is where both the secret of Red Bull and Aston Martin lie.
I don't understand that statement. The ground clearance is regulated and the min clearance was raised15mm from last year.
The ground clearance isn't regulated. Only the plank wear and floor edge/diffuser throat height relative to a reference plane is. Out on the circuit, teams choose how low to actually run the car for the benefit of aero while adhering to plank wear regulations. Some teams run higher or lower than others for aero/plank wear reasons.

FW17

Poor Alonso has to work so hard for 8th place on the grid.

Henk_v
Henk_v

avantman wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 12:12
dialtone wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 09:35
Henk_v wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 23:27
Both Ferrari drivers are passed by their mistakes, A good driver just hunts them till they make one. Passing Hamilton often get's ugly. I would be cheering if we'd see some true racecraft at the top.
off topic response removed
Off topic response removed
I am sorry. I did not want to open that can of worms with my post a derail this topic on (Ferrari) driver opinions. I really thought it is quite obvious and factual that Max does not get sloppy when chased and Ferrari lost a lot of opportunities in '22 due to mistakes, often a result of overly pushing the car. I'll try to be more OT. I'll just say that Bahrain was good, good racing and I would sure have loved to see it continue throughout '22. I'd guess we all would like a '21 season, down to the last lap of the last race and I wish Ferrari, MB and AM all the luck in giving us this gladiator spectacle we long to see.

Mod edit: two off topic responses removed
Last edited by Stu on 01 Mar 2023, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Two off topic responses removed

organic

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10437948/

It's Italian motorsport.com but.. they say
Stroll goes to Bahrain, expected on Friday in FP1
Lance Stroll is expected tomorrow in the Sakhir paddock. Aston Martin will announce tomorrow who will be on track on Friday, but according to information gathered by Motorsport.com it should be Stroll on track in the FP1 session.

The Canadian rider missed last week's tests in Bahrain due to physical problems that the team did not specify and only later did it become known that Stroll was being operated on in a Barcelona clinic following a broken wrist.

stonehenge
stonehenge

organic wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 17:07
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10437948/

It's Italian motorsport.com but.. they say
Stroll goes to Bahrain, expected on Friday in FP1
Lance Stroll is expected tomorrow in the Sakhir paddock. Aston Martin will announce tomorrow who will be on track on Friday, but according to information gathered by Motorsport.com it should be Stroll on track in the FP1 session.

The Canadian rider missed last week's tests in Bahrain due to physical problems that the team did not specify and only later did it become known that Stroll was being operated on in a Barcelona clinic following a broken wrist.
This is a pretty amusing article because there are two scoops here (Stroll will be available this weekend, and Stroll had a broken wrist), and they're entirely mutually exclusive. If Stroll really did break a wrist, he'll be out for a couple of weeks at least. So, even if the article is credible, both of those statements can't be true at the same time. :?: If there's anyone who has a better understanding of how long a broken wrist takes to heal to be able to race again please correct me if I'm wrong!